What did you do to your XJ today? 1M Views - Page 2659 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

Update : I just found a LH rear on eBay US. But they want $89.00AUD + Postage of $100.00AUD ! Looks very condition however.
Old 06-05-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 285 Times in 210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishframe View Post
Update : I just found a LH rear on eBay US. But they want $89.00AUD + Postage of $100.00AUD ! Looks very condition however.
Not outrageous, I have been around classic cars and resto’s for 30years and prices for hard to find body trims whilst apparently expensive today will seem cheap in few years time.
Old 06-05-2021
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts

yeah exactly - gotta pay, once you find good condition one. Just that most breakers are economical with the truth about condition.

It's the ones in the picture here (if I've got it to work). I dont think they come up much because breakers just sell the complete door (less hassle) - and here in UK the doors are the first things that seem to get sold off a breaker vehicle.

Fishframe - I've contacted US ebay vendor (if the tinted-glass one is the one you meant), thanks.
Old 06-05-2021
Established Member

Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Good luck getting hold of some! Keep us updated lol

So I got the plans for that cad4x4 roof rack from here;

https://cad4x4.com/product/jeep-cherokee-xj-roof-rack/

I sent a nice email off to as many local metal / sheet metal / cnc / laser cutting companies locally as I could to see who would be willing to make it, what cost etc. One person couldn't open the CAD files and basically told me to go away, and so far only one has got back to me and quoted me almost $700 to cut and bend it... I just about fell off my chair. Is it that bad here in Australia? Do we seriously charge THAT badly for some basic sheet metal cutting and bending?! I contacted some yanks who had one of these racks cut and made out near California and they were charged about $150 all up, I figured, Aussie tax, let's say $300. Boy was I wrong

Do you any of you have experience with fab work, sheet metal etc? Does that quote sound insane? Either way, I'm not spending that much on a scrap metal roof rack If anyone knows of a company that could make it on the cheap, hey let me know? I can send you the CAD files, I even edited them to remove all the silly 'MG42' and 'Cherokee' text and such out of them... I prefer a clean look. I'm on the Sunshine Coast, but I'd gladly pay some postage to have it all sent to me from somewhere else if they can do me a good deal.

Old 07-05-2021
AJOR Bronze

Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

that's a nice looking roof rack you would think someone would be able to make it keep us informed
Old 12-05-2021
Established Member

Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

No luck so far, most places just say it's not something they can fabricate. I've got two left to talk to... Beyond that, I will have to start asking around interstate maybe, and deal with shipping. What a bunch of nonsense!

Over the weekend I got to work and removed my old 90's Wildcat extractors as they were leaking baaaadly, undriveably so. Turns out, the extractors themselves actually seem ok (although lots of surface rust, solid), it was the collector downpipe that was ROOTED. I had a real laugh when I took it off, I had patched two large holes by kneading exhaust cement paste into stainless steel wool, smooshing it into the holes, pressing it into place with a small piece of curved aluminium plate, and then securing it with metal cable ties (a really quick and easy fix actually, and it worked just fine). But I had no idea just how many holes that thing had... top, bottom, sides, everywhere, made me chuckle.

As I'm generally on a tight budget, I replaced it with a Tiger Headers extractor and downpipe - $360 delivered via eBay (see here : https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/174732577393 ) - and my overall review of this is : Really... not that bad. The actual extractors are surprisingly good quality, welds are nice, they're as thick and sturdy as the Wildcats, and I personally think the actual pipe layout and flow design is at LEAST as good as the Wildcats. They fit pretty much perfectly as far as physical size and shape goes, and mounted up to my stock piping just fine. But I had read about people having to grind or modify them to fit right, and sure enough, mine needed a bit of effort. The two little alignment holes for the nubs you slot in when installing it were forced off by about 2mm each once the extractors were bolted on, so I had to take a big drill bit and widen both nub holes on my intake manifold enough to seat over them - no big deal really. But then I found I could get all the manifold bolts in except one, the middle right out of the lower four. The extractors are just the faintest bit wonky enough so that they obscure that particular bolt hole JUST enough that you really cannot get the bolt into its hole to even try and thread it, so after 45 minutes of busting my knuckles and cursing all the phrases I know, I just gave up and left that bolt out. Mercifully, it's a center bolt, so the overall clamp force of the other 3 bolts actually still make it all seal up just fine. But my OCD was triggered. If I ever take them off again, then these issues can be fixed with about 5 minutes on an angle grinder, so I'm not too annoyed overall.

I painted them with VHT high temp exhaust paint, and after the initial cook off period, they've been great. Annoyingly, the stock exhaust is NOT 2.25" like I had read 10 times over, but rather 2.0", with just a couple of 2.25" flanges in the mix. Frustratingly, the extractor downpipe flange is 2.5", but has to adapt to the exhaust at the first hanger which is just a straight 2.0" pipe with NO FLANGE... for SOME reason, it's the one single un flanged point, it's stupid. So the 2.5" to 2.25" reducer I got was useless. I had to cut out a scrap piece of 2.25" pipe ring from my busted old collector just to sleeve into it to get me by until I can get a proper matched reducer, so it still leaks maybe 20% right under the drivers seat. But honestly, it sounds great lol, it's got a nice burble to it.

For you guys who have changed mufflers, what have you gone with? I don't want a lot of noise, just something a little nicer than stock... I still have to live with it every day. I'm booked in to have the remainder of the exhaust replaced on the 26th, and they'll likely have some options to choose from, but I figure it can't hurt to ask. Annoyingly, EVERY SINGLE VIDEO on youtube of muffler swaps on these are disgusting hollow sounding flowmasters and hot dog mufflers, which sounds like a bus with the exhaust cut off. Just nasty, ear bleeding trash. I can't find anyone who's put a sensible middle-of-the-road multi chambered (but more open than stock) muffler on an XJ and recorded a video of it. It's crazy.

Yikes that was quite a rant, my bad. I'd post photos but... well, it's extractors. You've seen them a thousand times lol. I figure in all my ramblings here if someone else is about to do this work or wants to, maybe you can take something from it. Like the exhaust reducer size, or the drilling / grinding needed for the cheapo extractors. Information is information, always good to have!!
Old 12-05-2021
AJOR Gold

Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Good write up. I had a turbo muffler with a flap that used to drive me fucking nuts. I finally went into the muffler shop and just told him to put something on quieter.
Don’t know what it is, but she isn’t quiet or loud.

Cheers,