Rebuilding my dual battery system - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-12-2011
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Post Rebuilding my dual battery system

This week I redid my dual-battery system as it was few years old and in the early days as I really didn’t understand the technicalities of AGM batteries and I managed to shorten their lives to the point of being useless.So I thought I'd post up a write up of what I did and the hows and whys.

My original set up was a hybrid thumper deal put out by ABR Sidewinder it consisted of 8 x 15 Ah 12 V DC AGM batteries connected in parallel of which there were 4 under each front seat. These were connected to a 120 A isolator (ABR Sidewinder) mounted just in front of the Main battery. Circuit protection is provided by 2 auto reset 50A circuit breakers, one before the isolator and one before the batteries. This gave me 120 Ah of battery life in theory. The truth is this style of charging will only ever get your dual battery to charge to about 80% as the alternator just doesn’t have the spare capacity.

Now my wife likes her food fresh (no canned peas for that girl!) and the only way to really get her out camping in the early times of our relationship was to have fresh food, you know the stuff you need to displace drinking material for in the fridge. As a result to keep us both happy we ended up with an 80 L Waeco. Now this Fridge/ Freezer is a monster and used to fit in my old Terrano no problems but it is a bit of a squeeze in the JK Unlimited but we make it work. The size of this fridge comes at a power cost though, it draws a peak current of 7.5 A and an average of about 2.5 A over 24 hours that's about 60 Ah.

To get the best life out of AGM Deep Cycle batteries you should really only run them down to 50% although is won’t hurt them to go down to about 20%. So to only run my system down to 50% I'd need a 120 Ah battery system. The reality though is those current draws are at STC (Standard Test Conditions) or 25 deg C and here in Queensland local temp is pretty much higher than that even in winter so the fridge will draw more current over a day.

So the greater draw and lack of full charge led me to overdraw the battery system on a couple of occasions thus shortening its life. It would still show a phantom charge but when a load was connected it just died.

Our camping style is more relaxed touring with lots of days where the Jeep will just sit there while we go off for a walk, swim, etc. So the replacement system had to enable us to be self sufficient for a couple of days without driving.

So with our requirements in mind and a target of only running the system down to only 50%, I did an energy budget and multiplied it by two to get the capacity we were shooting for. In our case it was 70 Ah a day so 140 Ah was the minimum size battery we were looking at. As I have said STC is unlikely to be encountered so we have built in a little fat to cope with higher temperatures and any future needs. In this case it is only a touch more than 1 A per hour over the day.

The new system:
CTEK D250S Dual DC-DC Charger- located against the firewall under the factory Optima http://www.batteriesdirect.com.au/fi...82612906_1.pdf

2 x REMCO RM12-100DC (100 Ah Deep Cycle AGM) Batteries – 1 under each seat, yes they fit http://www.federalbatteries.com.au/RM12-100DC/

130 W 18 V 7.22 A Solar Panel, - attached to the Congo Cage

14 m of 6mm^2 solar cable
2 MC4 connectors
2 50 A Anderson plugs
1 Trailer Vision Anderson plug dust protector

Your battery choice also dictates which charging option you should go with. AGM/Gel batteries need multi-phase temperature controlled chargers or they will not have a long life.

A cool new to car level chargers is MPPT. This technology has been around for years but it has only just made its way into DC-DC for car use. MTTP chargers are the go because they give you the peak charge possible. For example the panel above is a 130 W, 18 Vdc, 7.22 A panel (P=IV, so l=P/V or 130/18=7.22 A,). Without MPPT I wouldn’t actually get 130 Wpk of charge out of the panel I’d effectively only get 12 x 7.22= 86.6 Wpk. Where an MPPT charger comes in is it is actually a DC-AC converter with a transformer that steps the panel's output voltage from the level it is putting out to the charge voltage nominally ~14 V this have the effect of increasing the current (in this case to about 9 A). The charger then converts this back to DC for the battery.
Another factor to consider is temperature compensation; in hot conditions a battery will actually take more charge, so a hot battery can lead to overcharging which will reduce a battery's life as well, just like taking it down too low.

So how much to do it all:
I paid $279 for the D250S Dual through an E-bay store in Melbourne (have seen them for up to $470) as it can take the charge from a panel and/or an alternator and has a built in isolator and has a temperature sensor for the battery.
The panel was an E-Bay cheapie at $300
And the batteries came in at $350 a pop after some serious haggling with Battery World.
And about $50 for the rest of the gear.
Now this was not the cheapest option but last time I was out the cheapest option let me down. Now I have a system that should keep me running for up to 4 days to 50% battery without having to start the Jeep or up to a week if I let it get down to 20%. Odds are I’d probably have to drive a short distance in that time period, but my need to do so to charge the battery has been eliminated.

I know this was a long post but I felt the need to share.
Old 23-12-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 547 Times in 265 Posts

Great set up. I have the Dc-DC Ctek as well and it works well. Mine is connected to a second battery (120Ah Ca battery) in the back of the JKU. My 2nd battery is currently connected to the primary battery and charges when the car is going. I have found the same issues as u with power consumption with my Waeco 60l in hot mid country temps.

Have you connected your 2 batteries together via the ARB sidewinder device or to the DC-DC charger? Is the DC - DC charger only used to connect the solar panel to the 2 batteries? Or, r u still using the sidewinder, but using the solar panel via the DC-DC charger as top up?

Also, I have found that the control box/regulator on the back of solar panels is often below spec. Most r 10A. In a really hot sunny day (admittedly in the Pilbara) I found my 130W solar panel was producing 14-15 amps (15A max). Yours probably only has 10A and it may well blow or throw its overcharge set up. If u can I would fit a bigger fused regulator.

Last edited by humdingerslammer; 23-12-2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old 23-12-2011
RubiconSlammer

Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks Humdingerslammer,

At the moment I still have the ABR sidewinder isolator to isolate the two batteries as I was unsure if the D250S Dual was actually an isolator. The manaul doesn't mention the isolation function however the datasheet that I linked to does mention this. I'm awaiting confirmation that this is the case and then I will remove it (the isolator) from the system as it will be redundant.
My 2 Deep Cycle batteries are connected in parallel with each other and the D250s Dual which takes its input from both the alternator and/or the panel, it's probably easier to visualise with the schematic diagram as they say a picture is worth whatever someone will pay for it. I like how the CTEK charger will take the 2 sources and pick which ever is the best source or even a combination of the two. But you must be aware that there is the D250S and the D250S Dual only the Dual will be able to use the two sources.

Does that answer your question?

Last edited by JasperJ; 23-12-2011 at 06:44 AM. Reason: error in schematic
Old 23-12-2011
Full Flexer

Yes it does. For my JKU set up, the primary and second battery are connected via the DC-DC Ctek 250s. I have found in high temp (25-30C) and with the Waeco operating with internal temp of <0 degrees, the power lasts for about 36 hours with minimal driving/stationary. It takes about a day's driving (6-8 hrs) to re-top the 2nd battery while also running the fridge.

I have a camper trailer which has a 3rd battery (120Ah) which, when I am travelling connects via wires and Anderson plug to the 2nd battery in the JKU. So, when driving, this third battery tops up off the primary and secondary batteries.

I also have a 130W solar panel on top of the camper trailer which also connects directly to and charges the 3rd battery in the c/trailer. When stationary, the solar panel will run the fridge all day in top end sun and I have noticed that it was churning out nearly 15A in the middle of sunny days. Even with mild cloud cover it was churning out 10A plus. The s/panel also allows me to charge the 2nd battery by connecting it to the Anderson plug and 2nd battery. I have done this when the JKU is parked and also when driving.

I was looking at your panel on the Congo Rack. Because of the twisting etc of the rack, it may be possible that the glass panel of the solar panel may crack. This has been a problem when fitted to the top of pop top vans because of the twisting that happens with the pop top during travel.

Also, given your set up the RAPS system will more than likely be redundant... the Waeco's have a built in low current restriction that stops them operating under about 11.4 volts.

Cheers

Last edited by humdingerslammer; 23-12-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 23-12-2011
SwampDigger

Liked 540 Times in 399 Posts

Impressive setup. Very well thought out.
Old 23-12-2011
Full Flexer

I have just bought a second 130W solar panel. I am going to fix this to the Congo cage as u have done JasperJ but I am going to put some think rubber foam under it where it contacts the cage so as to give it some flex with the twisting of the cage. This 2nd solar panel attached to the JKU will be connected directly to the 2nd battery in the back of the JKU. This will allow the panel to charge the battery directly and will allow me to run the Waeco forever without starting the car. I think my system works with the CTEK 250s because the 2nd & 3rd batteries connect to each other in parallel rather than also connecting the 3rd battery directly to the CTEK.

Oh, I spoiled myself for Xmas and bought an Engel fridge as well, at a Ray's Ooutdoors 25% off sale. The Engel will go in the back of the c/trailer and the Waeco will stay in the JKU on trips. I have found 2 fridges are a bonus... one for deep freeze and the other as a fridge. I know its excessive but, the missus said it's OK. Weird!!!

Last edited by humdingerslammer; 23-12-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old 23-12-2011
MudSplasher

Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

Well done Jasper, great detail and excellent write up! Might be using your research in the future! Just a note on the Ctek I see its only rated splash and dust proof, are you sure it will never get immersed on the firewall? Even shallow water surges up firewalls quite high.
I would be looking at moving it inside the cabin when I build mu system.
Thanks for the writeup
Matt.