headlight upgrade - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-03-2016
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default headlight upgrade

Anyone bought and used these headlights?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/7INCH-60W...-/111935816798
04 KJ CRD
14 JKU
Old 22-03-2016
SwampDigger

Liked 540 Times in 399 Posts

I have the JW Speaker Evo 2, which is what those seem to be based on. Great low beam. Hi beam spot is good, but the flood beam could be better. That is the part from the small outer half disc bits.

Those will probably be similar in function.

Then again, if I want to really light up in front, I'll turn on the 20" bar with the spot/spread pattern that is wired to work with the high beam.
Old 22-03-2016
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

There are LOTS of Chinese knockoff lights kicking around nowadays...... some are good and some....... Not surprising considering the very high prices of JW's etc. Your paying a LOT more for a look and name, frequently without any performance difference.

A killer issue for some people is that the knockoffs aren't compliant so there's a possibility of roadworthy issues down the track. Some care... others don't

Have a good look around, there are far more reasonably priced quality legal lights and lots of knockoffs out there.
Old 22-03-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 81 Posts

I luuurv me some LEDs so I got these LED headlights for my new JKU: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x7-105W-...-/181972769841
And these Britax reflectors as backup (in case the LEDs were really bad): http://www.inlandtruckcentres.com.au...lights-inserts
With some of these Philips 130% bulbs: http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...ecommendations

I am running the LED lights now and they look excellent, especially with the top and bottom row of LEDs hooked up as park lights. Their light is white with a blue tinge, which tires out your eyes quicker at night. The high beam is amazing, very bright and nicely focused. The low beam is OK but very diffuse and spreads the light very high, so much so that I had to noticeably adjust the headlights to point downward.

They are constructed surprisingly well, with good cabling and plugs as well good sealing all round and a proper-looking breather.

I would go back to my backups if I could but in my LED euphoria, I gave them to my mate and I haven't the heart to ask for them back (the stock headlights are that bad compared to them). The low beam is not as diffuse as the stock reflectors but more than covers your line of sight and is much brighter. The high beam is nicely focused and the bulbs have excellent range. The light has a nice white colour to it, partly from the blue-ish parker bulb and the white-yellow main bulbs.

The biggest reason that I don't want to run the cheap LED headlights again is that they don't have good internal RF shielding. The lights' transformers cause interference on FM frequencies, only a little with the parkers but enough to lose reception on weaker stations with low/high beams. There is no way past it other than opening the lights and covering the electronics with a makeshift Faraday cage... Or not listening to the radio.

I will be getting another pair of ADR approved 7" LED headlights soon, I have found heaps recently (now that I know that I don't have to look for a JK specific light) and now just need to find out how well they are RF shielded, although ADR approval will usually mean that it won't have those problems.
Old 22-03-2016
Established Member

Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Best bang for your buck is definitely the britax H4 inserts. Pair these with some decent bulbs and you'll forget about cheap eBay knock off LEDs and all the problems that might come with them.
Old 22-03-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

JW Speaker evo 2 would be my first choice but not in my budget, main concern is improving the lighting, i like the look of the leds but dont want cheap ones if there rubbish, would prefer a plug and play option as well, dont want to be mucking around with wiring. might go for 2nd.gunmans suggestion
04 KJ CRD
14 JKU
Old 22-03-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_za View Post
I luuurv me some LEDs so I got these LED headlights for my new JKU: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x7-105W-...-/181972769841
And these Britax reflectors as backup (in case the LEDs were really bad): http://www.inlandtruckcentres.com.au...lights-inserts
With some of these Philips 130% bulbs: http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...ecommendations

I am running the LED lights now and they look excellent, especially with the top and bottom row of LEDs hooked up as park lights. Their light is white with a blue tinge, which tires out your eyes quicker at night. The high beam is amazing, very bright and nicely focused. The low beam is OK but very diffuse and spreads the light very high, so much so that I had to noticeably adjust the headlights to point downward.

They are constructed surprisingly well, with good cabling and plugs as well good sealing all round and a proper-looking breather.

I would go back to my backups if I could but in my LED euphoria, I gave them to my mate and I haven't the heart to ask for them back (the stock headlights are that bad compared to them). The low beam is not as diffuse as the stock reflectors but more than covers your line of sight and is much brighter. The high beam is nicely focused and the bulbs have excellent range. The light has a nice white colour to it, partly from the blue-ish parker bulb and the white-yellow main bulbs.

The biggest reason that I don't want to run the cheap LED headlights again is that they don't have good internal RF shielding. The lights' transformers cause interference on FM frequencies, only a little with the parkers but enough to lose reception on weaker stations with low/high beams. There is no way past it other than opening the lights and covering the electronics with a makeshift Faraday cage... Or not listening to the radio.

I will be getting another pair of ADR approved 7" LED headlights soon, I have found heaps recently (now that I know that I don't have to look for a JK specific light) and now just need to find out how well they are RF shielded, although ADR approval will usually mean that it won't have those problems.
thanks for the links
04 KJ CRD
14 JKU
Post New Thread  Reply