Is JL Rubicon with 2.5" lift plus 35" tyre roadworthy in Victoria? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JL Wrangler JT Gladiator Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2020
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Is JL Rubicon with 2.5" lift plus 35" tyre roadworthy in Victoria?

Hello, hope you'll are doing good. I came across a JL 2019 Rubicon which was modified to have Coil Lift of 2.5" and 35" tyre - isn't the jeep no more roadworthy as the total lift has now gone to 3.5" (2.5" + 2" tyre lift/2 and assuming JL Rubicon comes with 33" tyres)? Asking for Victoria state. Can someone get RWC on this if they are saying they would provide it?

Last edited by nigs; 08-12-2020 at 04:54 PM.
Old 15-05-2022
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone have an awnswer on this? Thinking of a 2.5" on my JT with 35" tyres. Is this legal?
Old 15-05-2022
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

I think unlikely to be legal.

Rubicon I think comes in 255 which is about 33” so 35” already 2” and then another 2.5” on lift kit.

https://thelapyear.com/state-by-stat...es-suspension/
Old 15-05-2022
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 547 Times in 265 Posts

Generally speaking in all states a vehicle cannot be lifted more than 2 inches/50mm.... there may be some tolerance here and there but I do know that in Qld and NSW they occasionally go on "blitzes" re 4WD height.

Sometimes a "bigger" tyre (say 265 vs 245) is not higher in terms of diameter but may have a bigger circumference (rolling dimeter as some call it).

h
Personally I can not see the value of having an extremist lift with tyres plus/minus bigger tyres. The Rubicon is more than capable with what it comes with in my opinion and experience. You need to remember that with added height and bigger tyres comes increased wind resistance, increased rolling resistance and increased fuel costs.

With my 07 Rubicon I put on a 2" lift (now probably sunk to about 1.5 inches) plus 265/75/17 tyres over the originals which were 255s. There was hardly any height change due to tyre change. I have been everywhere with this set up without a problem. I know some people want things bigger cos they do things differently than me and go different places than me.

But bigger isn't necessarily better.... an old girlfriend of mine told me once that where she had interactions with men with bigger dicks, they did not necessarily do better than those with smaller ones. It is entirely dependent on how you use what you have got...

Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited by humdingerslammer; 15-05-2022 at 04:29 PM.
Old 15-05-2022
Irok Bandit

Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

ADR's say 7% tyre diameter increase and 50mm lift but tyre and lift combo can not exceed 75mm overall height gain without engineering.

Once you exceed the magic 75mm mark an engineer must certify the vehicle is compliant with the tyre/lift combo you have.

A 2" lift and 34" tyres falls right on the limit of what you can do before engineering is required.
Old 16-05-2022
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigs View Post
Hello, hope you'll are doing good. I came across a JL 2019 Rubicon which was modified to have Coil Lift of 2.5" and 35" tyre - isn't the jeep no more roadworthy as the total lift has now gone to 3.5" (2.5" + 2" tyre lift/2 and assuming JL Rubicon comes with 33" tyres)? Asking for Victoria state.

**** Can someone get RWC on this if they are saying they would provide it?

Often what happens with roadworthy’s in these instances is the seller takes the tires off and puts oem ones on for roadworthy. Then puts the bigger tires back on after.
Old 24-12-2022
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ive seen lots of 4wd's in victoria that have clearly been lifted a lot more than 75mm. For example I passed a couple of F150's and a Dodge Ram today up at Gisborne that clearly were well over the 100mm mark overall. I would challenge that the majority of vehicles with 3" lifts and 35" + tyres have been engineered as there are no annual road worthy inspections in Vic, I doubt its much of a problem unless you crash.

I don't think warranty makes any difference as the slightest change is problematic...Jeep are so pedantic, any thing outside of factory pretty much voids the warranty (I am not allowed to install my own tarp for the back of my new Gladiator because it requires drilling into the vehicle metal to install fasteners for the front of the cover...that would void its warranty)
Post New Thread  Reply