JKU CRD payload? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-10-2015

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hi Omar,

545 kg is about right. The diesel has less payload here too. Must be the engine weight. The irony is that whole point of considering the diesel for me was to have the ability to take more load (truck engine), haha. I'll have to reconsider as in Australia we like to have our tourers steel-clad. Front bar for touring is necessity over here (too many animals out the back). Roof rack also required as I was thinking of roof-top tent. I might have to just start small (i.e. without the rear bar) and see how it goes.

BTW you take some very nice pictures, Omar (I've seen a few on your website). Nice work.
Old 22-10-2015
I just registered

That payload its not much at all. My missus wants a Wrangler, but looking at the numbers we wont be using it to tow the caravan. My Defender payload is 1,078kg, 412kg for the Wrangler is nothing . I think it is going to be hard to talk her out of the Wrangler now as she likes the shape and she wants an orange one... I was hoping though for her to get a car we could use to tow with if the Defender needed a service or something, with the dog in the back myself and the missus plus all are shooting gear (we both shoot ftr and travel a lot to ranges with the van) we would be very close to the payload in my opinion.
Chris
Old 22-10-2015

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hey Cafe Latte,

I think if its just you and the Mrs you'll be fine. The diesel JK Unlimited can tow 2,200 kg. And those 412kg is after all fluids (ie full tank) has already been added to the Jeep. So, you'd have 412kg to load although it includes you and the Mrs within those 412kg. Just to cover the servicing period of Defender you'd be ok? Unless, to service the Defender is a multi-week affair, haha .

Jeep does not state what's the total combined weight for the trailer and the jeep. At least it wasn't on the website. 2,200 kg to tow isn't too bad...

But yeah, in my case, 412 kg for a family of four including the passengers and with a roof top tent isn't that much at all. I know I'll do only one family trip per year but still, once on the road I'd like to be within the limits or at least not too much over, haha.

I really like the payload of the Defender! Hmmmm...
Old 22-10-2015
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts

My understanding is that the payload is without the driver and al the fluids like petrol.

So the first passenger we say 70kg. That would be 412-70=342kg left for the payload.

Some put the Wrangler on a scale with all stuff and passenger and it should not be over the maximum weight 2540kg that I have on mine
Old 22-10-2015
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Google GVM upgrade, easier to get it done BEFORE first rego but it can be done after.
Old 22-10-2015
Established Member

Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts

Who decides what payload a vehicle will have? Is it the Government?, no it aint, it is the car maker.

Wrangler is made in US, the country were everyone can be sued, so they are very cautious I think about the payload

So if the Defender would be built in US, would it have a payload of about 1000kg and that would be safe in 130km/h, I really doubt that, and it is not even allowed in the country because of safety reason even if the payload would be 100kg.

What I am saying is that the low payload of Wrangler is because it is US made and it should be safe at 180km/h. So probably it can handle more payload than it has on the paper and probably the Defender would not have a payload of 1000kg if You think about safety reasons.

Last edited by Omar; 22-10-2015 at 11:54 PM.
Old 23-10-2015
CrawlerStar

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Tare Mass is the weight of a vehicle ready for service, unoccupied and unladen, with all fluid reservoirs filled to nominal capacity except for fuel, which shall be 10 litres only, and with all standard equipment and any options fitted.

GVM or Gross Vehicle Mass is the maximum laden mass of a motor vehicle as specified by the ‘Manufacturer’.

Load Capacity is the difference between the GVM of the vehicle and its Tare Mass.

Manufacturer is the name of the person or company who accepts responsibility for compliance with the Australian Design Rules and to whom the ‘Compliance Plate’ approval certificate is issued.

Last edited by stockobob; 23-10-2015 at 04:47 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply