Jeep dreamin' - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Sticky's - New members please stop by
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-09-2006
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs down Jeep dreamin'

I've been dreaming about becoming a Jeep owner for some years now. Bought a Ford Escape 30 months ago and am looking to upgrade early next year. Reason is I am becoming a grey-haired nomad camel next year and want to pull a van around for while til I get bored.

In 2005 NRMA recommended 3 cars for pulling vans - Hyundai Terracan, a Patrol and a LandCruiser 'cos they all had intercooled turbo diesels. I didn't have to look too deep before I disgustedly eliminated the Cruiser and the Patrol. Thought I was going to get a Terracan Highlander CRDi next year. Mate of mine just got one for his 18foot van and reckons they are pretty schmik! Took me for a spin with the van on back and I was impressed.

To cut a long story short, I did some googling and saw that the Cherokee had similar specs and investigated further. Happy days - Jeep comes out in front in every category except climate control and leather seats and its at least a grand cheaper! Looks like its a KJ for me!

Bloody NRMA! Haven't done a test on Jeep since the 2002.
Old 24-09-2006
hellbilly deluxe

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel
I've been dreaming about becoming a Jeep owner for some years now. Bought a Ford Escape 30 months ago and am looking to upgrade early next year. Reason is I am becoming a grey-haired nomad camel next year and want to pull a van around for while til I get bored.

In 2005 NRMA recommended 3 cars for pulling vans - Hyundai Terracan, a Patrol and a LandCruiser 'cos they all had intercooled turbo diesels. I didn't have to look too deep before I disgustedly eliminated the Cruiser and the Patrol. Thought I was going to get a Terracan Highlander CRDi next year. Mate of mine just got one for his 18foot van and reckons they are pretty schmik! Took me for a spin with the van on back and I was impressed.

To cut a long story short, I did some googling and saw that the Cherokee had similar specs and investigated further. Happy days - Jeep comes out in front in every category except climate control and leather seats and its at least a grand cheaper! Looks like its a KJ for me!

Bloody NRMA! Haven't done a test on Jeep since the 2002.

Welcome, what about a old cherokee {XJ} ? You can pick them up real cheap probably wouldnt be too hard to get a diesel. Good Luck!
Old 24-09-2006
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

go the jeep;
don't fret too much about the lack of leather seats
had them in a Grand Cherokee
and found them a bit too "slippery" on rough tracks and curves
mind you they were a gloss finish leather
not sure if all models are the same
Old 24-09-2006
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks guys but a new one is comin right out of my retirement money. Stuff what the wife thinks.
Old 24-09-2006
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bloody NRMA! Haven't done a test on Jeep since the 2002.[/QUOTE]

I read absolutely everything before changing from a subaru forester to a 05 crd sport...never-ever thought I'd be buying a jeep!...But your right, all the figures make it look bloody good against the opposition, I got mine from the dealer who bid at a jeep executive auction...$35000 drive away with factory fitted tow hitch and only 8000kms on the clock, oh and because it was exec' driven, I'm effectively the 1st owner. GOOD WAY TO SAVE CLOSE TO TEN GRAND

Look-up drive.com.au as I think they have an up-to-date review of the 2005 cherokee crd, although specifically they are testing the renegade model...Only cosmtic differneces between it, sport, extreme sport and the limited!

ENJOY
Old 24-09-2006
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Look-up drive.com.au as I think they have an up-to-date review of the 2005 cherokee crd, although specifically they are testing the renegade model...Only cosmtic differneces between it, sport, extreme sport and the limited!

ENJOY [/QUOTE]

I've been into the drive.com and carsales.com sites so many times that I could probably tell you the name of the webmaster's kid's dog. But I keep goin back!

I'll just have to keep driving the Escape until I retire - I've got two mortgages and a liquor store to support.
Old 24-09-2006
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was just reading thru the blurb on the Jeep website for about the 100th time and I saw something that I missed before - Jeep claim that the latest Cherokee has 221mm ground clearance.

This info is not available in the Jeep specs online or in the Jeep brochure. Carsales.com and Drive.com both say 175mm.

Can any one tell me which is correct?