Guy from Sweden with smokey Cherokee XJ VM 1998 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-04-2018
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Guy from Sweden with smokey Cherokee XJ VM 1998

Fellow Jeepers

New to the forum. Have a problem with my Cherokee (eu model) XJ VM 2.5 1998 (Turbo Sport). Im from Sweden and my "daily driver" needs some expert help. I have been to the forum several times but it is still hard to get answers.

Everything work just fine except emission failure and black smoke when revving up to 3000-4000 rpm. Check engine lamp is not on. Guessing the old Jeep gets too much diesel (?) It passed the emission control 1 year ago but now its like a coal mine

This is what I have done so far:

Oil change. Over a year since last time so I did kind of a oil-flush (oil change x 3 + oil filter in a short period of time) I also used a engine additive before the last oilswap.

Air filter swap done.

For some period now I have used diesel additives that should clean the fuel system and CAT.

Found some oil leak around the intake manifold and ERG valve. Cleaned all the parts up and put it all back together.

Cleaned the MAF. Trying to measure it with a multimeter and is not 100% sure if its ok or if I did it the right way. When I pull the wires off the MAF when the engine is running nothing happens at all. No stalling or change in REVs. Is the engine supposed to stop when doing that? Seems to be the case i some cars.

I tried to do a vacuum/air leak test but did not find anything obvious. Maybe I should buy a special tool for this?

This i what I'm thinking:

Some air/vacuum leak anyway?
MAF sensor failure?
Turbo fail? Sometimes the engine makes a “rattling” sound when idling.
Leakage between the turbo and engine?
Injection pump failure?
or…. is it “the classic” no 1 injector??? Have not checked that yet. Did a engine wash some seeks ago and now I can see some new "black stuff" around the 2 injector closest to the front.

Well Im joining the forum here and hope someone can help me. Ill send a link to some pics next time

Have a great day. Cheers / Thomas
Old 28-04-2018
Senior Newbie

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irie View Post
Fellow Jeepers

New to the forum. Have a problem with my Cherokee (eu model) XJ VM 2.5 1998 (Turbo Sport). Im from Sweden and my "daily driver" needs some expert help. I have been to the forum several times but it is still hard to get answers.

Everything work just fine except emission failure and black smoke when revving up to 3000-4000 rpm. Check engine lamp is not on. Guessing the old Jeep gets too much diesel (?) It passed the emission control 1 year ago but now its like a coal mine

This is what I have done so far:

Oil change. Over a year since last time so I did kind of a oil-flush (oil change x 3 + oil filter in a short period of time) I also used a engine additive before the last oilswap.

Air filter swap done.

For some period now I have used diesel additives that should clean the fuel system and CAT.

Found some oil leak around the intake manifold and ERG valve. Cleaned all the parts up and put it all back together.

Cleaned the MAF. Trying to measure it with a multimeter and is not 100% sure if its ok or if I did it the right way. When I pull the wires off the MAF when the engine is running nothing happens at all. No stalling or change in REVs. Is the engine supposed to stop when doing that? Seems to be the case i some cars.

I tried to do a vacuum/air leak test but did not find anything obvious. Maybe I should buy a special tool for this?

This i what I'm thinking:

Some air/vacuum leak anyway?
MAF sensor failure?
Turbo fail? Sometimes the engine makes a “rattling” sound when idling.
Leakage between the turbo and engine?
Injection pump failure?
or…. is it “the classic” no 1 injector??? Have not checked that yet. Did a engine wash some seeks ago and now I can see some new "black stuff" around the 2 injector closest to the front.

Well Im joining the forum here and hope someone can help me. Ill send a link to some pics next time

Have a great day. Cheers / Thomas
Have you checked the glow plugs are working properly? as you say it's rattling sometimes on idle? Maybe not firing all cylinders? .. what about fuel filter? I change mine every time I do an oil change (every 10000k or at least every 6 months) .. first injector should be fine if you are reving fine .. first injector issue causes limp mode and loss of power at 2000rpm ... if your glow plugs are on the way out this could cause black smoke?? Maybe another jeeper could verify that (@Layback 40??) .. either way great to have you join Ajor! Great community here plenty of knowledge and expertise.. pretty confident you'll find the issue with advice on here

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 29-04-2018
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,550 Times in 4,342 Posts

Welcome.
From your description, you have the early VM with a MAF (near the air cleaner), the later ones have a MAP on the top of the inlet manifold.
A MAF is just a series of wires in a grid in the air flow path. If you remove the pipe off the air box you can inspect it. The wires should be clean. when dirty it should cause lean mix so no smoke.
If your #1 injector sensor fails it will limit you to about 2,000rpm. it wont cause smoke.
You dont state mileage, that makes it hard!
worn out injector tips can cause smoke but normally at idle. A bottle of injector cleaner & an Italian tune (google it)normally fixes it. Make sure you find a good uphill stretch of road for it ~ WOT & let it work ~ 120km/hr for as long as you can.

3 things that will cause smoke

1/failed turbo seal. If you take the outlet hose off the turbo & there is oil every where & you can wobble the turbo fan up & down, then the seal in the turbo body is bad.

2/ Failed EGR. If you remove the AGR & are able to blow air through from the inlet (pipe) side it is failed. Simple fix is to put a blank plate ( piece of tin can) between it & the inlet manifold.

3/ Rings. If when warm & idling, you unscrew the oil filler & it blows off in your hand (high crank case pressure) it has a ring problem. if it just dances for a second & then falls to the side, all good.

Hope that helps
Old 29-04-2018
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Also, there is a VM Diesel group on facebook & the guys running the group are local to you.
Old 01-05-2018
I just registered

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Thanx for replying. Yes. I think this is a great forum. Been here many times before I signed up.

OK. I edited this post a little bit. BTW I found a service manual (1700 page one)

OK. Ill continue here then. Added some pictures and YT links…………..
and https://sites.google.com/view/jeepch...m25l/startsida

IT (the JEEP) have been rolling around 260000 km or 161 556.51 miles

Looked at the ERG/turbo once again. Going to unbolt the turbo tomorrow looking for oil leaks and fan wobble.

I have 1 concern tho (pic). Seems to some kind of oil connection on the tubo. Its leaking oil. Any thoughts on that?

[IMG][/IMG]

NO problems taking the oil filler cap off. Nothing happens

As I said before. It starts up and drives normally (IMAO). When the engine is “cold” one can clearly hear some kind of strange engine noise.

https://youtu.be/KsqAvoP_iLE

When IT is warmed up there is no rattling noise. Therefore (IMAO) no problem with the injectors or glowplug (?)
https://youtu.be/yBqp7khCLgc

Look at the black smoke when revving up. Haha, WTF (??). This is the main problem I guess.

https://youtu.be/m8p9HiRbT-U

About the MAF sensor. Can’t find any small wires (pic). Something missing here??

[IMG][/IMG]

and finally….. Found some pictures when I changed the fuel filter. It’s upside down… A classic nOOb mistake. Is that the problem?

AND when i bought IT 2-3 y ago the horn "beeped" everytime I locked the door. The "beep" is now gone. NOT a big issue (the door lock works) but I just thyought I inform u all about that.

[IMG][/IMG]

Damn. Maybe its the diesel filter

Well. In my opinion there is probably nothing major with the old JEEP. Some kind of ez fix IF I can find it.

/ Thomas

Last edited by Irie; 01-05-2018 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-05-2018
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

If you want lots of help you need to learn how to post pics on here, not just links to other places. One of the links doesnt work for me. The engine will continue to run (in limp mode) without the MAF connected.
There is an oil supply line to the top of the middle bit of the turbo & a drain line under back to the sump.
Old 01-05-2018
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

NO problems taking the oil filler cap off. Nothing happens ~ please go back & read exactly what I said.