TPMS Transponder / Receiver location? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-11-2018

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default TPMS Transponder / Receiver location?

Hi all,

My right rear TPMS sensor has been red for a few weeks now, so I assumed it was the transmitter inside the tyre and planned on replacing it when I next have the tyres rotated. I was doing some research online and found several threads that made me suspect the 4 year old transmitter wasn't at fault, but that the likely culprit was the transponder / receiver. To put this hunch to the test I rotated the 2 rear tyres and used the car for the entire day as I usually would. Sure enough the fault did not follow the rim I had swapped to the rear left, but remained showing a fault on the rear right tyre.

So I'm now assuming the rear right transponder is at fault, and from further reading I believe it's located under the rear quarter trim, towards the top of the wheel well. Can anyone confirm the location for me please before I start ripping out the rear trim?

Also, can anyone please confirm this is the appropriate replacement part:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Mopar-OEM-560...der/1118874460

Thanks for your help!
Old 20-11-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 436 Times in 264 Posts

Not likely the transponder/receiver at all mate. I had the same issue and rotated tyres with same results as you. But it turned out to be the wheel transmitter. The way TPMS works on the WK2 is that each transmitter's last known location is stored and can't be updated if one transmitter goes bad.....and you rotate that transmitter to another corner of the car. A change in location requires a functioning transmitter to update the system of the change.
Old 20-11-2018

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
Not likely the transponder/receiver at all mate. I had the same issue and rotated tyres with same results as you. But it turned out to be the wheel transmitter. The way TPMS works on the WK2 is that each transmitter's last known location is stored and can't be updated if one transmitter goes bad.....and you rotate that transmitter to another corner of the car. A change in location requires a functioning transmitter to update the system of the change.
What if I duct tape a new sensor to the wheel showing faulty as a test? I know it would read 0 PSI, but would it register with the car to validate the receiver is working?
Old 30-11-2018
I just registered

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

Gjws I has the same issue earlier this year, thought it was the actual module in the car but it was one of the wheel transmitters that had died. Purchased a new one off the net and had it replaced at the tyre shop, all work fine after driving the car for a while and restarting the engine.
Post New Thread  Reply