What did you do to your XJ today? 1M Views - Page 2614 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2017
Trail Twister

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 840 Times in 479 Posts

Thanks AWG.
I will take your advice and start pulling fuses. When I got the car someone had fused two yellow wires together in the drivers door. I simply repared them as they should. All I have done electrically was install a stereo which I have now disconnected and wired my UHF to the 12 volt power outlet. After I lost my gauges things have slowly got worse.
Please feed me with ideas boys....anything you have got.
Old 09-04-2017
Rock Munki

Liked 351 Times in 223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynuts View Post
I have been working on my XJ for some time getting it just the way I want. Just about finished and took it for a drive. It drove really well. All my lift and suspension work was working well.
As I was driving it I noticed I had lost the tach and speedo. I thought too that the fuel gauge was telling me lies.
I searched the interweb looking for answers and came up with a few. I checked the earths at the plugs behind the cluster and they were good. made good contact with the pins. checked more earths and all was good. At times the fuel gauge would read when I turned the car on but would soon fall to zero after a few seconds. The speedo and tach were dead. I have checked every fuse in the car and swapped every relay. I tried a different gauge cluster and all is the same.
I walked away from it today and returned later to have another look. I now find my stereo stays on after the car is turned off. I removed it and then noticed that there was a buzzing noise coming from the steering column when the key was removed. I had bumped the wiper switch on but it was like it was trying to power itself on while the car was off.
I have run my OBD scanner through it and I get a tach reading. A fault saying fuel sender voltage high. That fault code keeps coming back even after I clear it.
Any suggestions are welcome....anything.... I'm desperate.
i have this problem intermittently.
try jumping wire from -ve to the screws on the back of the cluster marked LG. I believe it is a common ground to the tach speedo and fuel gauge. good luck with it. actually before you do that check the 3 wires that ground on the block near the dipstick/ oil filter, apparently these are all for the gauge cluster. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/s...orking-591095/
'95 sport,4.6 stroker, 4.5" lift, 32"s, 4:10's, 8.25&SYE, taurus fan

Last edited by rainman; 09-04-2017 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-04-2017
Trail Twister

Thanks Rainman.
I have checked the grounds near the dipstick and the neg connectors in the C1 and C2 plugs. I will try a new ground to the cluster.
The components staying on with the ignition off scares me.
Old 10-04-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynuts View Post
Thanks Rainman.
I have checked the grounds near the dipstick and the neg connectors in the C1 and C2 plugs. I will try a new ground to the cluster.
The components staying on with the ignition off scares me.
that does not sound like an earth problem.

I am not an autolec, but am qualified in electronics, I do have an aversion to steering column work, but it is not unknown for an ignition switch to fail, either internally, or external melted wire short.

For this reason, on certain older Jaguars for instance, it can be recommended to use relay/s to reduce current flow thru the ignition switch itself, as obtaining and replacing an original is no fun.

My white one that got smashed has an "aftermarket" ignition lock & barrell fitted, even though it was obviously fitted by someone with skill, its like having a dogs bollocks hanging down...I would have replaced the entire column (I saw one on ebay for $125 ,, need column, AND door locks + keys) if you want them all to match...which they dont on the white one
Old 10-04-2017
Rock Munki

Liked 351 Times in 223 Posts

yep the ground jumper is only to get the tach speedo and fuel gauge working. its not going to help with things staying on when you take the keys out.
'95 sport,4.6 stroker, 4.5" lift, 32"s, 4:10's, 8.25&SYE, taurus fan
Old 10-04-2017
Trail Twister

Cheers for your thoughts guys.
I was hoping one problem leads to another. I have seen bad dash earths cause weird things in XJ's like rear wipers coming on etc. I have a mate coming over tomorrow to help me look further into this.
Any comments or advice is welcome.
Old 10-04-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 98 Times in 65 Posts

just be thankful it doesnt trip the immobilizer. i havent had this issue for a while now but my tacho and speedo would die while driving, if i jabbed the brakes they would come back on. every now and then i would turn the car on with the immobilizer light on and wouldnt be able to start the car. banging the dash seemed to resolve the issue though.