XJ Dana 35 Oil Change - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-07-2017
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Check out my Ride(s)
Default XJ Dana 35 Oil Change

Hi guys

This is my first time changing the rear diff oil on my 2000 XJ as I've got to replace the gasket as its leaking.

I'm bit unsure whats the best oil to use.

The factory manual recommends 80w-90 or 75w-140 with a friction modifier added.

My local Supercheap store doesn't seem to have either oil with a friction modifier added.

It does have Penrite Pro Gear Oil - 80W-140 with friction modifier. The penrite oil selector recommended this for an 2000 XJ. Seems a little pricey $62 for 2.35L though!

Can anyone recommend an oil?!

Old 24-07-2017
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,565 Times in 4,348 Posts

That oil would be fine.
Supercrap is not cheap any more.
Shop around.
make sure you do a good job of sealing the gasket.
Old 25-07-2017
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

I use LS90 in mine unless I'm planning to do lots of towing....

As for the gasket, I just use RTV...

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 25-07-2017
MonsterMoose

Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

There are way cheaper options out there for LSD oil. My diff mech told me to use 140 because of the age and miles on the diff. Like JJ said use RTV. Just let it set for 30mins once you bolt the cover back on before pouring the oil in or it might leak.
Old 27-07-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts

i use penrite 85-140 gear oil in mine, has ls additive in it no shudder at all been in 3 years now , just use a good silicon gasket goo dont bolt the cover up tight for about an hour to let it stick to the cover and the housing and to skin (bit like having an o ring seal) then bolt it up tight and fill it up
Old 31-07-2017
Jingle ALL the way...

Liked 538 Times in 311 Posts

I put in the LSD 70 or 80W-140 in there because I thought I had one, which I didn't. But it would cover any demand anyway, towing or not. The change interval is pretty big anyway, so on a yearly basis, forking out a few $$ more for this diff oil now, really won't tip your balance, imho.

Stop calling your car a "she". It's a car.
Old 13-08-2017
I just registered

Check out my Ride(s)

Finally sorted out the rear diff with a lubelocker gasket and 80w-90 oil. Cleaned up the cover while I had it off. Was my first ever go at changing diff oil, so far its not leaking. Added a bit RTV to the cover side of the gasket, which made installing easier. Tightened the bolts to 40nm. Thanks for the advice on oils, as I won't be towing so I went for the standard speced oil. Managed to add a bit more oil to the diff about 100ml or so, as the XJ was leaning to the left.

Post New Thread  Reply