Transmission - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-05-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Transmission

Hi all

I am a new owner of a 2003 limited Black KJ 3.7lt. I am upgrading from an XJ which I owned and modified over the past 10 years.

I have a few questions.

The transmission, I have noticed that when stationery and in gear 'D', if I take my foot of the brake the KJ wont more forward on its own without using the accelator pedal. Is this normal?

I should add that I have noticed this only in my driveway which has an ever so slight gradient??

Thanks
Old 02-05-2009
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey dave, i too did the upgrade from the xj to an 03 black kj limited..

It's a 200kgs heavier car with the same amount of torque as a xj so mine doesn't pull away as as freely as the xj did but on the flat it will still move forward.. petrol or diesel?

Tyres can have an impact.. I have a rooted diff and it still pulled away slowly..
Old 02-05-2009
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

mine is a 2003 and it won't move straight away, think it something to do
with the convertor, I am only assuming that they have a looser stall speed
unlocked (think about 2000rpm) so without a bit of excellerator I don't think
they would push the weight. Not a hundred percent sure but that is what mine feels like.
Old 03-05-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks. Didnt realise it was 200kg heavier!!

I have also found that the transmission is not as smooth as the XJ, on the rare occasion you can feel it down shift when (a little roughly, however only mild) slowing down to come to a stop! Probably nothing to worry about, right???
Old 18-06-2009
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default transmission problems 545 rfe is dangerous in KJ CRD

slow to start problem, sometimes pump, sometimes filters not working right, leaking, slow to fill the TC and build pressure, many many issues causing this and of course the ubiquitous Torque converter issue.

Today MY 07 KJ CRD with auto with the 545 rfe, lurched me into an intersection and promptly stalled, I nearly got hit by a darn truck, freeking transmission is going to kill somebody before something is done about it. 45,000 klms and never towed and it cant even handle that.....

What gets me is all the people who are supposed to perform recalls for these issues have their mouths wired shut.
Old 18-06-2009
AJOR Silver

Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

How is stalling a diesel an auto transmission problem? Sounds like other things.
Old 18-06-2009
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

would have thought it pretty obvious.

An automatic stalling, absolutely ridiculous, especially when it throws you into an intersection.

In this case we are pretty sure its the Torque converter clutch giving out, (at 45000 kilometres) causing uncommanded engagement and lockup just like letting your foot off a clutch in a manual too quick, or the hydraulic actuator for the manual clutch failing. I have read more than enough Chrysler service bulletins to know that the TSB system should be severely scrutinised by people other than chrysler and and the recommendations activated as RECALLS.

If it was a manual Id blame my foot, its an automatic. They are very dangerous. and you dont get a DTC with it.

Its happened to others before and its gonna happen again.

If you got loved ones driving these, think twice.

You don't have to go too far to find the net full of these issues arising in all the DCJ models.

Last edited by crdjon; 07-02-2010 at 11:38 AM. Reason: cleaning
Post New Thread  Reply