WK2: Numb Thumbs Build up - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-02-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 158 Times in 112 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Filled up for the first time today.

870 km of mixed driving - some peak hour bump and grind, some freeway, some steep hilly driving.

74 litres

8.5 litres/100 kms.

Not bad for a new motor!

Next tank will include 500 kms of towing 1.5 tonnes...

Cheers
Numb Thumbs
Old 11-02-2013
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Hmmmm.... That was a nightmare!

Just fitted the antenna and cable into the cabin...

Finally worked out which was the spare grommet. It is high up near the black hose passing through the firewall. I touched the grommet and it popped inside the firewall. Fun getting it back out again!

Next was trying to find where the grommet was from the inside. I really must do a Certificate 87 in car trimming! I stuffed around trying to get my hands into impossible spaces while contorted into impossible positions. Even Black Belt Yoga won't help with this puppy!

There seem to be about four firewalls, three layers of rubbery stuff and two layers of felt in there!

In the end I poked a metre or so of the cable into the hole from the engine bay and eventually managed to find something to pull on!

I then drilled a hole about 10mm in the back of the compartment in front of the gear lever. I poked a long cable tie into the hole after bending the end a bit to hopefully make it go where I thought I wanted it to go.

After too many attempts to count it finally popped into view in the tiny hole near the passenger foot well. I finally managed to snag it with a bent bit of wire. The hard part is getting light in there at the same time so you can see it to snag... You need four hands and your head in a space barely large enough for a head!

After pulling the cable tie through the back of the compartment a couple of times and having the cable come off the cable tie a few more times, I finally managed to get the cable into the compartment.

I cut the rest off and soldered the connector onto the cable.

Now I am waiting the arrival of the multi socket adapter so I can connect the radio up to power and see if it works...

Some photos of the antenna:

Cheers
Numb Thumbs
Old 12-02-2013
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You've got more crap in that garage than me. Hope none falls onto the new pride an joy!
Old 12-02-2013
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Hey, you should see the other two sides...

Cheers
Numb Thumbs
Old 12-02-2013
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

UHF install finished.

The radio is in the compartment in front of the gear lever. It is stuck to the passenger side by double sided tape and very secure. The door opens and closes with no obstruction. The antenna wire runs out the back of the compartment via a hole I drilled.

The power comes from an adapter which has 2 x cig sockets and 2 x 3 Amp USB sockets. The two USB sockets can run the power cords for my Smart phone and th 7" GPS. And I still have one cig socket empty.

The clip for the microphone is just on the driver's side of the centre console, near the Start/Stop button, held on with double sided tape. The microphone fits in with the radio when not in use.

When the radio is in use, the hatch has to be open to allow the cable through, so the speaker in the radio is clearly heard as well. Is there a way to turn the speaker in the radio off and just have the speaker in the microphone on? I have yet to figure it out.

Cheers
Numb Thumbs
Old 12-02-2013
Established Member

Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts

[QUOTE=Numb Thumbs;1355978]Hmmmm.... That was a nightmare!

Just fitted the antenna and cable into the cabin...

May I suggest what you may find to be a better location for the antenna, just a preferance when I was doing mine.
There is a spare hole at the front that is accessable from under the guard as well. I used a stainless bolt and washers I had and I have also placed thin double sided tape between the bracket and the fender to prevent paint damage / chipping from flexing when driving.

Cheers
Thommo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0147.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	59931  
Old 12-02-2013
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Thommo

Not a bad spot for it, but SWMBO would complain endlessly, "Why do I have to look at THAT all the time..." This way it is pretty much hidden by the A pillar.

For the sake of peace, I will leave it there!

I am looking for some thin, tough self adhesive tape to do the protection bit at the moment. Hopefully I have something somewhere...

Cheers
Numb Thumbs
Post New Thread  Reply