FSJ: 1982 Restoration - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 31-01-2012
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Yeah good job!
Btw, did you say you used a 6cyl flywheel on a 360 ?
Old 31-01-2012
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomart View Post
Yeah good job!
Btw, did you say you used a 6cyl flywheel on a 360 ?
Yes for me ! They are the same thing except the 6 and the 8 are balanced differently
Old 31-01-2012
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts

Whilst autos effectively multiply torque, both the th400 and the tf727 fitted to fsj's both take a heap of power to run..... They are truck gearboxes effectively.

Added to the lighter flywheel and more/better ratios, it should feel like a rocket.

Good job Purds.
Old 31-01-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: FSJ
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

yeah! I'm enjoying the manual it does feel a lot faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TassieFSJ View Post
Yes for me ! They are the same thing except the 6 and the 8 are balanced differently
And yes from me too! All the 6 cylinder bellhousings should line up on the 360's. Originally i was going to try for an ax-15 from a TJ wrangler - i lined up the bellhousing on a 360 block and all the bolt holes line up and it seems to fit fine. I read about guys in the USA that do that conversion, i believe you need to drill out the top two bolt holes on the bellhousing for the FSJ bolts to go through. It was just easier to use everything from the 6 cylinder FSJ and the clutch on the FSJ is bigger. Perhaps sometime in the future? (or to my brothers FSJ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TassieFSJ View Post
Hey Purds, looks good, nice write up,

your not wrong about how much better it makes them, I've put a 360 into mine, not that I've driven it to far yet, it was 6cyl, I used the short input on the gearbox too, ended up having to cut both my drive shafts, shorten the front and put some into the back
what transfer are you using I can't see a stick ? Quadie ?
I still need to sort out my front drive shaft and work out if my rear will be long enough offroad. The transfer case is an NP 208, same model number as the one i pulled out attached to the auto but is slightly different. I also need to attach the transfer case linkage as you noticed

Last edited by Purds; 31-01-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply