Looking for an XJ - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is there an easy way of identifying what diffs are in a vehicle by looking at them?

Don't leave the diesel models out of your search. I cannot believe how well mine handled the beach, and the fuel economy blew my mind. Obviously a big downfall will be if it fails, but my short experience has been a good one so far.
Old 11-01-2014
No Winching

Liked 121 Times in 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
Is there an easy way of identifying what diffs are in a vehicle by looking at them?

Don't leave the diesel models out of your search. I cannot believe how well mine handled the beach, and the fuel economy blew my mind. Obviously a big downfall will be if it fails, but my short experience has been a good one so far.
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/attachmen...axle_id_01.gif

Help support the future of the forum
Old 11-01-2014
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

That's a nice clear pic...

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 11-01-2014
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejuice View Post
That's a nice clear pic...

Great! Thanks fellas
Old 11-01-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApacheResistance View Post
IIRC you cannot put a HP D30 in an 00-01 XJ without lifting it about 3". In 00-01 they switched to the 0331 head as opposed to the previous 0630 head casting. Different intake/exhaust ports. They also switched up the exhaust manifold/header. Yours should have 4 pre-cats with 4 O2 sensors in them. It's also a 2 piece manifold as opposed to the earlier 1 piece manifold.

The exhaust will get in the way of the driveshaft if you put a HP D30 in the later models without lifting them. Granted you could swap the head/exhaust but it's really not worth it.

I'd just leave the LP D30 and wheel the thing and if you ever end up adding around 3" of lift then swap in a HP D30 if you get bored one weekend.

As for the rear i'd go with an 8.8.

The rear will require you to either: (if you wanted to put a TJ D44 in)

1. - Go with a custom rear long arm.
2. - Cut the coil brackets off and weld some perches on.

It's about the same amount of work to get a TJ D44 in the rear as it would be to get an 8.8 in. Personally i'd shoot for the 8.8.
Thanks, didn't know that regarding the HP, though will definitely be lifting if I don't find one already lifted. Will look further into the 8.8 option too, hopefully can get one cheap.

Was just reading your buld thread btw, are you MacGyver?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers View Post
Mine is 01 and it has a factory hp30 in the front but I got lucky! They stopped putting them in at the start of 2001 when they knew that the cherokee was coming to an end so they got tj leftovers.To my knowledge they only delivered Cherokees to aus with the d35 and the factory American d44 is like finding rocking horse poop! I think the best option is the ford 8.8 they are cheap and many company's make conversion kits with all the parts to suit a cherokee the only thing is that they are 5/8 narrower each side so you'll need different rear wheels or a spacer. IMO 99 to 01 are a great model cause they came fully optioned with electric everything and have a coil pack ignition but I might be a little bias
Cheers, will look into conversion kits. consensus around online seems to be the 99 is the pic, but I think there doesn't seem to be heaps in it and would rather he the newest/low kms/best condition one I can to begin with, given they are getting on a bit.

I found this one which ticks most boxes, general condition is quite good and it's already lifted with a Trailmaster 4.5 inch kit (add a leaf). http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/perth...ted/1035296418

Concerns are (aside from mulling over the D35 question):

- had to really stand on the brakes has hard as I could to stop (and even then it was slow to pull up). Felt like the nose drifted a bit under hard braking as well. Clearly something wrong.
- bottom of the transmission pan was wet with oil (though couldn't see a leak). Don't know if this is sign of an issue or no big deal on an old jeep
- air con doesn't blow cold air (concerned could be the compressor)
- no service record after 70,000 kms (though owner says it has been serviced at 4x4 USA and they cold verify). Owner seems genuine (and a fellow jeep tragic).

And to a lesser extent (as I think these are easily fixed):
- power seats don't go up or down (they just grind). Would probably swap out for manual seat mounts.
- power windows grind at top and bottom position. Suspect cable is worn, at worst maybe the regs are on the way out.

Any opinions welcome! I wouldn't pay $7k but need to factor in this is Perth and paying more for less is how we roll...
Old 11-01-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Default Looking for an XJ

I have an XJ with factory 8.25 it's one of the first up date models 97 for what ever reason they went back to d35 very soon so I think it would be hard to find one .
The d35 is not so bad you can up grade it like everything on any jeep and it has good ground clearance
Old 11-01-2014
I just registered

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

had to really stand on the brakes has hard as I could to stop (and even then it was slow to pull up). Felt like the nose drifted a bit under hard braking as well. Clearly something wrong.
- bottom of the transmission pan was wet with oil (though couldn't see a leak). Don't know if this is sign of an issue or no big deal on an old jeep
- air con doesn't blow cold air (concerned could be the compressor)
- no service record after 70,000 kms (though owner says it has been serviced at 4x4 USA and they cold verify). Owner seems genuine (and a fellow jeep tragic).

And to a lesser extent (as I think these are easily fixed):
- power seats don't go up or down (they just grind). Would probably swap out for manual seat mounts.
- power windows grind at top and bottom position. Suspect cable is worn, at worst maybe the regs are on the way out.

Any opinions welcome! I wouldn't pay $7k but need to factor in this is Perth and paying more for less is how we roll...

Looks pretty good, kays quite low. Price is always negotiable, I guess...
As for brakes - well, I replaced my rear shoes and drums and it made a world of difference. Having said that, the D35 was leaking oil onto the friction material... I think it they are well adjusted and not contaminated, worn or whatever, the XJ brakes are actually not too bad.

Do a search for oil leaks, there are a few simple fixes. Aircon could be several things.
Post New Thread  Reply