Looking for an XJ - Page 8 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-02-2014
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissociative View Post
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d.../?Cr=0&sdmvc=1

Here's another one I found with the same grey flares, agree they look the same as the sport. Don't forget the 97/98/99's are different to the 00/01's and even have difference between the individual years.

If it was originally a sport, the vin check will identify it. I'd also say whoever did it has done a pretty damn good job of all the important bits, wood grain, leather seats EVIC console, stereo and side badging - to overlook the flares and side plastic seems odd...
Mine has the leather trim, woodgrain dash, overhead console, cruise, chrome grille etc and mine is a sport, none of it was there when I bought it though...

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 03-02-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Nice, I would actually do the same if I bought an XJ sport. In fact I was thinking if an interior swap in my KJ sport before I decided I'd be better to sell it stock instead.

The fact that it's done already wouldn't bother me, it would more be a question of impact to price.
Old 03-02-2014
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 125 Times in 99 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissociative View Post
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d.../?Cr=0&sdmvc=1

Here's another one I found with the same grey flares, agree they look the same as the sport. Don't forget the 97/98/99's are different to the 00/01's and even have difference between the individual years.

If it was originally a sport, the vin check will identify it. I'd also say whoever did it has done a pretty damn good job of all the important bits, wood grain, leather seats EVIC console, stereo and side badging - to overlook the flares and side plastic seems odd...
That's also a sport. Black plastic bumpers - not body colour shiny black + grey body side mouldings. And why different non factory wheels on both of them?

There weren't any differences between the post update limiteds, just fewer of them from 2000/01 as they were clearing stock and that was done with the classic which was almost a limited bar the leather and badging.

If the one you are looking has no ABS, and you said no cruise it's Not a limited. My guess is its a WA dealer fit or special order Faux Limited.

If the Vin check says otherwise I'll have to eat my words
Old 03-02-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Well if nothing else it's made this purchase more interesting

If it's a dealer fit option I'll find out, it was purchased from Chellingworth and I know the sales manager for Jeep at the time (still sells jeeps for AHG).

So to summarise the case against:
- non colour coded bumpers
- no cruise control
- different rims (not sure about that one, still checking)
- the little print out with the vehicle details they stick in the front of the service book when you buy the car - torn out

How can I tell if it has ABS?

I've asked for the VIN ahead of inspection on Thursday.

I still think it's a limited though
Old 03-02-2014
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 275 Times in 139 Posts
Default Looking for an XJ

My 98 sport has leather too but this was missing from my build sheet. (As were my bash plates when I bought it). Shouldn't matter whether they were there from factory or not so long as you feel the car is worth what you are willing to pay for it.
Old 03-02-2014
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,576 Times in 4,354 Posts

Honest but funny C/L ad for '97 Jeep Cherokee in Okla.

1997 Jeep Cherokee (XJ)
220K Miles
4.0 L in-line 6
4WD
AUTOMATIC Transmission
Bright Red
Straight Stock
Crank Windows, no cruise, no tilt, no delay wiper, no nonsense
POWER MIRRORS! Woo Hoo!

$1750

Here’s the deal, kids:
This is a Jeep Cherokee. This is not a luxury SUV, or a maintenance-free disposable import. It has solid front axles, wind noise, and character.
It’s a Jeep. It rides like a Jeep. It drives like a Jeep. All of these are GOOD things.
It is not new, it is not pristine, it is used. This will be apparent in the pictures.

If you do not own a toolbox, have never changed your own oil, and are scared of firearms: THIS VEHICLE IS NOT FOR YOU.
If you have been posting on facebook all about how excited you are for pumpkin latte season: THIS VEHICLE IS NOT FOR YOU.
If you get offended easy and often, whine to your co-workers, and ***** a lot: THIS VEHICLE IS NOT FOR YOU.
If you feel you are owed anything in the world & have a bull**** job where you fail to produce: THIS VEHICLE IS NOT FOR YOU.
If you own a bieber album, white oakleys, affliction t-shirts, or those candy-assed stitched-pocket jeans: THIS VEHICLE IS NOT FOR YOU.
If you consider the 2nd Amendment an anachronistic relic and have never owned a firearm: THIS VEHICLE IS NOT FOR YOU.

If, however, you have BALLS OF STEEL and consider adverse weather an excuse to do stupid ****: THIS IS YOUR JEEP.
Do you laugh at danger, and tempt fate?
Have you ever uttered the words, “Hold my beer and watch this …”?
While bored at work do you pick targets at random and think, “I could hit that from here with the .22 …”?
Have any of your friends quit hanging out because you were too much fun?
Do you have the number of a friend with cash memorized for bail?
When you pass an abandoned flatbed farm truck along a fenceline do you consider taking on another project?
Is your ol’ lady really sick of the random piles of parts, greasy footprints, and empty beer bottles in the garage?
-could you not care less?
Do you have Jalopnik saved on your laptop AND smartphone?
Do you own a service manual for every vehicle you ever owned?
Do you still miss your first ride?
Can you carry on a two hour conversation discussing tools, scars, and hi-lift jacks?
Remember when tool companies had the balls to put half-naked beauty queens on their calendars?
Do you consider the Prius an abominable affront to the Gods of displacement, torque, and All Mighty Internal Combustion?

If you answered in the affirmative to the preceding: THIS IS YOUR JEEP.

DETAILS:
-I am the second owner. First owner barely got it dirty and engaged the front axles once.
-I have remedied this excessive caretaking with muddy roads and a pile of fun.
-The motor uses a little oil. How much? I don’t know, I’m not collecting statistical analysis points.
I check the oil, I fill the oil, I drive. Not enough to bother me.
-It leaks a little oil. How much? Not enough for me to care. It has 220,000 miles, Poindexter!
If you have a vehicle with 220K NOT leaking or burning oil, it’s empty!
-Rear bumper has a big-ass crease in it. I dented it backing into a concrete pole. Sober.
We drove away giggling, for the record. Haven’t fixed it.
-Driver’s side door was caught by the wind, whipped forward, got into the LF quarter panel.
-Radiator has a small leak. Pinhole. I can replace the radiator or you can. Really doesn’t matter
A new radiator and hoses will run $145. If you don’t want to replace them I will.
Add $250 to the price of vehicle. This includes radiator, hoses, and labor (beer). A freaking bargain.
-The badass little 4.0L bullet-proof in-line six starts and runs like the proverbial champ.
-Tranny and 4WD operate perfectly
-Tires will need replaced in a couple thousand miles. I haven’t upgraded because I had plans:
Had planned a small lift, upgrade to 17″ Wrangler wheels, and more aggressive tires.
Life got in the way – it ain’t happening.
-Zombie stickers on the right rear window stay. My daughter’s idea, take it up with her.
-Flogging Molly sticker stays as well. They kick ass, so there.

QUESTIONS:
-Why are you selling?
I can’t justify owning it anymore. Motorsickles, kiddos, work, travel, and beer have consumed my time and money.
Someone else needs to appreciate the Jeep for what it is: awesome mechanical artistry.

-What’s wrong with it?
Radiator. Small oil leaks. Driver’s side door cosmetic issues.
And it’s pissed it has been neglected and parked. It needs rescued.

-Does the 4WD work?
Hell yes. Like a Dickensian Orphan.

-Will you sell me the [engine / tranny / rear door / axle / etc.]?
No. I’m not in the salvage business. Buy the Jeep. Love the Jeep. Give the Jeep a home.

-Will you take [insert ridiculously stupid low number here]?
No. If I wanted [ridiculously low number] I would have asked [ridiculously low number]
Want a cheap car? Get your kid that lowered tuner piece of **** honda project down the road.
I think I’m plenty cheap for this bad mofo.

-Why is it still stock?
Because I bought it for a daily driver with the intention of turning it into a project.
I haven’t had the time to do so. So I am selling it.

-Can I put a 6″ lift and giant tires on it?
I don’t give a ****. But be sure to use quality components and for God’s sake – get it aligned after a lift!

-Would this make a good car for my daughter?
Hell. Yes. Not only a good car, a learning experience. Introduction to vehicular maintenance.
Additionally, there isn’t really enough room in the back for that little bastard she’s dating to try anything.

-Can you deliver?
Within reason. I’d drive it a hundred miles or so. But really, you should come get it. Look it over. Have a beer. Etc.

-Will you take a check / cashier’s check / Western Union Transfer / Nigerian Promissory Note?
Would you take a ball pein hammer to the forehead?
No. I’ll take Cash. Period. Bring cash or don’t show.

-Will you ship to -?
No. See above.

-No, really, all I have is [lowball dollar amount]?
That’s great, I don’t give a ****. Unicef ain’t running this deal, and until they do I want $1750.
Why? Because I don’t HAVE to sell this little beauty. Truth be known, I’d rather keep it.
But if it’s going to a good home – I will sell. Unless you’re an ******* – then no sale.

-Why are you such a dick?
Everything is relative; you should see my friends.

Any other questions, feel free to reply to this email and ask.
Old 03-02-2014
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 125 Times in 99 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksidecustoms View Post
Shouldn't matter whether they were there from factory or not so long as you feel the car is worth what you are willing to pay for it.
Agree but just trying to point out that if his justification for paying a bit more is because it's a Limited, he is not getting what he thinks he is. It's a sport with leather, o'head console & stick on woodgrain which the Limited didn't have to the extent in the photos. Also looking at the photos it has sport door trims too.