FSJ: 1982 Restoration - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-06-2009
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: FSJ
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default FSJ: 1982 Restoration

I've been wanting a 4WD for a while now and my brother has an old FSJ. He bought this gold one for parts. However, last year i took it over and decided to restore it. So this is what it looked like last year on 13/04/2008. It suffered from rust in both front foot wells, rust under the rear windows, rust in the roof, totally destroyed - mouldy and wet interior, no rear drive shaft, no exhaust (in the vehicle), very rusty tailgate, a few electrical problems, non-working sunroof, window mechanisms broken, ruined door seals, springs a bit sad, leaking water pump and timing gear cover etc etc:

I started by working on the roof. I did a full respray and repairs of the rust. I also fixed up the roof racks and got new gromits etc:

I got a tailgate from another FSJ wreck we have. It was red, so i resprayed it:

I worked from the top down. So next i did the black on the pillars and around the rear windows:

We had pretty much a full interior from the red wreck which was pretty mouldy but in more or less good condition. So i gave that a really good clean up and they looked pretty sweet:

It seemed to sag to one side a bit and one of the spring packs wasn't quite together properly. It creaked a bit so i bought new springs and shocks - front and rear:

I sprayed the drivers side first starting with the black:

I did some rust repairs to around the rear windows and front 1/4 panel then sprayed them:

I did the same to the other side:

I decided the front grill needed to have the black put back into it, so I resprayed the grill and light surrounds. I also got a new light from an XJ:

I resprayed the doors - they were relatively easy because they did not really require any repairs. I put all the doors on and the tailgate back on:

I repaired some dents to the bonnet, resprayed it and put it on. I also tried some big mud tyres on it - however they scraped on the guards:

All but one of the windows needed work. So i got new window lifters and rubbers and attached them. I fixed the sunroof problem and repaired some holes in the tray below it:

I decided I wasn't going to be putting carpet underlaying in the vehicle, so to help with noise reduction and to tidy up the floor a bit I gave it a coat of body deadoner:

I purchased the front and middle row carpet but i wasn't able to get the boot carpet. So i purchased some from Bunnings and cut it to shape myself. I put all the seats in and the roof hood liner back in (with some modifications from one without a sunroof). I wired up some speakers and new wires for the headunit. It had a big hole cut out of the dash so i made a wood insert covered it with foam and vinyl:

I installed the new springs and shocks. It was a bit fiddly due to the front bolts that go through the spring and shackles not wanting to come out of the sleeves in the springs:

I cleaned up the interior a bit more:

I put a new steering wheel on the vehicle using a boss kit. The water pumped was leaking so i replaced that but soon realised that the timing chain cover / cast leaked. So the next weekend had to pull it all off and replace it using one from a Rambler motor we had. I put a rancho steering dampner on to replace the original one. I also took it for a test run:

The next week after a few more issues were sorted out such as starting in gear, reverse lights, indicators and an oil leak from the oil pressure sensor i got it registered:

That's my restoration story - it took around 1 year and 2months. I'm currently building it up and preparing it for touring. I'm planning on taking it up to Cape York in July this year so i'm running it as my daily driver to try and squash any issues that may come up! I'll post up my progress since registration in the next couple of days. I have a gallery with more pictures if you're interested in it, check it out here.

Feel free to give me feedback / questions / comments etc.
Old 04-06-2009
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: FSJ
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

In the last week or so i've put sway bar disconnects on, put some mud tyres on and got it converted to LPG. Also here's a picture of the interior at present:

Last edited by Purds; 04-06-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-06-2009
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Nice rig there mate
Old 04-06-2009
Poly Performance Junkie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Love the restoration done so far, great work. Always wanted an FSJ but could never find one for the right price or condition. Now I would be happy just to take a rolling shell.

Keep the pics coming.

JTO
Old 05-06-2009
AJOR Silver

Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts

Looks great You did a fantastic resto job on it.I will be on the lookout for you when you get up here next month.
Old 05-06-2009
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Go the restoration Purds, looking forward to heading up to the Cape with you in July. Won't keep up with the XJ though...
Old 05-06-2009
SwampDigger

Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts

Hey Purds where did you get the wheel boss kit?
Good work by the way, good to see another old girl on the road again
Post New Thread  Reply