Recall: Clockspring - Page 21 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-07-2017
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 540 Times in 399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzRick25 View Post
So I got the driver clock spring done today 7 hour job... They were getting esp christmas tree effect. I'm not certain but I think they must have to flash the computer for this job and if you have varied your wheel alignments they have to re-enter them.

I told the service rep not to do anything other than the recall work. I should have also said pass on to the tech my wheel alignment is not standard and what I had.

Also got some more information on J24 towbar. It is the Front towbar that was apparently only fitted to very few vehicles. I only got this because I read the statement of work and they stated can't inspect towbar due to aftermarket bullbar. I was like wtf? but yeah it is the front towbar not the rear one and the can't inspect it because it can't be fitted in conjunction with the arb bullbar at least. so happy days. I think it will be very rare that anyone has the Mopar optional front tow hitch in Aus but their must be a couple out there they are trying to track down.

Happy days though cars running perfect so far
None of that sounds right!?

I've replaced a clockspring, (twice), and it only takes me 30 minutes to an hour. If they had christmas tree lights, they must not have plugged it in properly, or maybe had a bad clockspring. But it most certainly doesn't need any reflashing, it is just replacing some wires, after all.

As to the J24, my JK apparantly needs it, and I have a DBOR front bullbar with the Mopar towbar on the back.
Old 22-07-2017
I just registered

Liked 49 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
None of that sounds right!?

I've replaced a clockspring, (twice), and it only takes me 30 minutes to an hour. If they had christmas tree lights, they must not have plugged it in properly, or maybe had a bad clockspring. But it most certainly doesn't need any reflashing, it is just replacing some wires, after all.

As to the J24, my JK apparantly needs it, and I have a DBOR front bullbar with the Mopar towbar on the back.
Interesting Yeah clockspring wise I'm not certain as I wasn't able to speak to the mechanic themself, after about 5 hours I had the service rep call me and ask what my wheel alignment was as they were having a lot of difficulty with esp christmas tree effect . Could of been not plugging it in, maybe despite my direction otherwise they gave me an unwanted courtesy flash.

With the towbar after getting mighty confused and frustrated the service rep showed me the work sheet for the recall (alegedly) and from the photos the towbar their referring to was definitely on the front of the vehicle, maybe they just pulled a worksheet for some other job to get me to leave. Did you get a letter from FCA about J24? I didn't. When you read the US J24 recall letter its a bit ambiguous, they state it's possible the towed vehicle may detach from the tow vehicle. Is it possible this "towbar" also includes a version of the factory recovery bar and is under your dbor bullbar? Let me know if they end up changing your rear MOPAR towbar as I have one of those from 07.

Edit: Just did a Google search of J24 front towbar recall, and their is a fair bit on it in the US forums.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&s...jsr0dyPessfXXw

Last edited by OzRick25; 22-07-2017 at 11:09 AM. Reason: More information, J24 Chrysler dealer service instructions link
Old 22-07-2017
SwampDigger

So I see. Truly bizarre
Old 22-07-2017
SwampDigger

Good find on the PDF! I'll try linking it below. Gives much more detail. I'm guessing the confusion comes from us calling the thing on the back a towbar, but in the US they call it a trailer hitch. For them a towbar is the bar used to tow the car behind an RV... Not something we do a lot down here.

I'm guessing from that, that I won't need it after all. Do they think I'm towing my JK behind my motorbike?

Dealer Service Instructions for: Safety Recall J24 - MOPAR Tow Bar
Old 24-07-2017
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

Well... I wasted my time thinking that after seven months of recall notices Jeep may have actually got the parts to fix the clockspring..... another three months wait minimum.

Good thing its not safety related.... ah cough splutter sigh......
Old 25-07-2017
SwampDigger

The problem is, if your stealer is like mine, they can only order the parts from the warehouse once you take it in the first time & they do the inspection.

Any time I ask for the price of a part, the first thing they ask for is the VIN, since the parts system looks stuff up from that as the primary reference.

I've been considering disconnecting the passenger seat Claymore*, but not sure at the moment just how would be best. No fuse for it, that I can find.

*A Sydney bloke was killed by the one in his Civic the other day.

Last edited by Banshee; 25-07-2017 at 08:08 AM.
Old 25-07-2017
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
The problem is, if your stealer is like mine, they can only order the parts from the warehouse once you take it in the first time & they do the inspection.

Any time I ask for the price of a part, the first thing they ask for is the VIN, since the parts system looks stuff up from that as the primary reference.

I've been considering disconnecting the passenger seat Claymore*, but not sure at the moment just how would be best. No fuse for it, that I can find.

*A Sydney bloke was killed by the one in his Civic the other day.
Inspection ? - "yeah mate we'll put you on the list". I understand how the dealer orders stuff and their warranty "process", but this isn't exactly a rare part, and a recall is in "progress". Thy have had LOTS of time to sort out their stuff and still no parts.

As for the Airbag there are two initiators that you'd need to disconnect and obviously the system won't like it. And as a thought if you disconnected the Airbag and you had a serious accident you may find that your in an interesting legal position. I'm no lawyer - its just a thought.

Last edited by MightyMouse; 25-07-2017 at 08:55 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply