WJ crd 03’ power loss - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-12-2019
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default WJ crd 03’ power loss

Hey all [emoji112]

Recently brought a 03’ grand Cherokee 2.7 crd (quadra-drive). Purchased the jeep up north in Carnarvon and drove it back to Perth, about a 900km trip.
Just about the entire 9 hour trek she didn’t miss a beat besides running a bit hotter than usual when giving it some over taking due to a split in the coolant expansion tank which was manageable.
About 15 mins out from home it started holding gears and then really smashing into them if and when it did change.
Nursed her home and Immediately went to check the atf level/quality and found there was no dipstick or plug in the trans filler tube. why didn’t I check it before I left you are probably asking, the answer is I am a self confessed impatient dickhead and purely relied on the previous service report from 1300km prior which stated any issues and this was not one of them (rookie mistake I know, roast me)

Anyhow so I am now aware they don’t have a dipstick and the box was not meant to be serviced blah blah Mercedes blah blah...I got the specs for the mechanics dipstick knocked one up, dropped the fluid dropped the pan, filter change, seal change, new fluid away we go.

So the gear box is now running smooth again and transitioning gears as it should be, all gravy besides it’s lacking a lot of power as if it stuck in “limp” mode or similar??

I am new to Jeep’s as this is my first so I dont know my way around them aswell as id like and I have never owned a Mercedes either [emoji28].
Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated. Thanks guys and sorry about the novel of a post. Here is a pic of me Jeep just cause [emoji869]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20-12-2019
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 822 Times in 462 Posts

First up.Get a OBD 2 scan tool /code reader that will show up any fault codes eg BlueDriver one of the best ,plugs into the computor port below dash .or the cheaper ones available on ebay that link to your iphone etc. If in limp mode could be any number of things.
Old 20-12-2019
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good call mate, I will get one today and see what comes up.
What do I reference the codes from the scanner with?

Old 20-12-2019
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 822 Times in 462 Posts

Most codes are the same for all vehicles ,google Grand Cherokee Diesel fault codes the full list should come up .Plus list them here.
Old 20-12-2019
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, thanks bud will keep posted when I get a chance to have a look.

Old 20-12-2019
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,884 Times in 2,298 Posts

Have a look here; http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...play.php?f=130

and here http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=140297

Some old stuff but tried and true for the WG/J Grands........

Codes and other great info also: http://www.wjjeeps.com you can also access the codes using the key and reading them on the odometer, all info on the sites.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 20-12-2019
Established Member

Liked 169 Times in 116 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Inlet leak i.e. pressure loss
Check piping between turbo outlet & throttle body