Uneek Pre-Runner - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-08-2017
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 31 Times in 13 Posts
Default Uneek Pre-Runner

I have read earlier posts that some people were unhappy with the fit and installation of a Uneek Pre-Runner. Complaints of needing to cut away some of the original frame etc and poor powder-coating.

Has anyone had one installed onto an Overland recently?

Gary
Old 12-08-2017
I just registered

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Uneek Pre-Runner and Hidden Winch Mount

I put a uneek pre-runner and hidden winch mount on my 2014 Overland about a month ago.

The buying experience was terrible. The website/inventory system was not working and it wouldn't let me order online. When I told them about it they basically told me I don't know how to operate an online shopping cart. Eventually I got them to try it themselves and they admitted there was a problem and did a workaround, but they were in stock.
They claim to have military discounts, but the code they gave me didn't work for the discount, but I was too fed up with dealing with them to bother with it, plus I was trying to get them installed in time for a weekend trip.
After getting the order in it took about 2 weeks to get them (I'm in Melbourne). I missed two weekend trips waiting...
If they were open on a Saturday morning it would have been a lot easier to just go down and sort it out. I can't get there during the week.

During fitting you do have to use an angle grinder to remove a bracket (it is shown in the installation instructions). That doesn't seem to be a big deal.

Half way through installation I found that they had missed a drill hole, so I had to take everything off to drill a hole for a bolt. This was interesting because one of the excuses for being late was that they noticed a manufacturing fault and had to get it fixed. They obviously still missed something. So I'm skeptical about their quality control.

After installation I found that the compressor was rattling against the protection plate so I had to bend the plate away from the compressor. Not a huge deal, but shows it wasn't designed quite right.

Haven't had any issues with powder coat though.

I'm happy with the end result, but it was a painful journey.
I still want to do rock sliders and bash plate, but I'm undecided whether to deal with Uneek again. Chief looks quite good, but I'm inclined to support a local Melbourne company like Uneek if they can sort themselves out.

Old 12-08-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 125 Times in 103 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Nice work!

What winch are you using?
Old 14-08-2017
Established Member

Liked 31 Times in 13 Posts

Thank you GCWK2 for the detailed and honest feedback regarding Uneek.
Your pre-runner does look really good though however my only other dealing with Uneek was a less than encouraging experience. Very poor follow-up and didn't seem all that interested in making a sale.

I do like the look of the Uneek pre-runner and Bill at Chief told me that their pre-runner is now delayed until I think mid 2018. I much prefer dealing with Bill - always extremely helpful, generous with advice and ALWAYS returns any communication. 2018 maybe just a fraction too long for me to be able to wait though.
Old 18-08-2017
I just registered

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

The winch is the Grande Mk III from 4wdsupercentre.com.au
https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/pro...etic-rope.html

I might do a post on the install if I have time.
Old 11-10-2017
Senior Newbie

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCWK2 View Post
The winch is the Grande Mk III from 4wdsupercentre.com.au
https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/pro...etic-rope.html

I might do a post on the install if I have time.
Hi GCWK2

Please do! I think there's afew of use here who are interested, especially in the how to wire and if there's any work around to access the freespool lever.

Cheers
Campbell

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 22-11-2017
I just registered

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Following up on this, I did end up speaking to Uneek about this in person and the experience was much better, they did a great deal on some rock sliders and the bash plate which I had them fit and they did a great job. Now I'm looking at adding the Murchison Snorkel.
Post New Thread  Reply