Sooo...I got defected yestdee and was wonderin'... - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 342 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Question Sooo...I got defected yestdee and was wonderin'...

From out of nowhere a nice fellow riding a white motorcycle with blue lighting signalled for me to pull over.

So I did

I was actually surprised because I am a good boy when driving.

But yeah, nope, it wasn't my driving, it was what I was driving

Front windows wayyyy too dark, he tested it as 11%.
Questionable amount of tyre diameter.
Questionable amount of wheel offset relative to the guards.
Looks kind of high.
No mud flaps...

Uh oh. Looking like a RWC request plus approx. $350 fine.

Very long story short after some serious name dropping and current situational circumstances he let me off With a formal caution and instructions to just take the front tint off. Then we sat there and talked about stuff for another half hour. Haha. He is a legend.
But, I did drive off very sedately as the exhaust is pretty well a straight thru too.

So now I am a bit worried about something. I'm very close to forking out some serious dough on a Warn 8274-50, it's anything but minuscule, plus I had planned on perching it out front on a bare bones winch plate.

Rethinking that now I am.

What do you all think? Will it be offensive to the law having it out there on its own like that?

Even though it's still the same thing, what if I went a low mount that looks far less intimidating sitting out the front?

Dunno what to do.

PS. I took the tint off within a couple of hours. Now I can see in dark conditions. I thought it was too much myself anyway.

Last edited by Hoobz; 06-06-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-06-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

Have you bought a lottery ticket for this Saturday yet; with luck like that I think you should..... BTW I don't know a lot about tint but but do you have any idea how many shades darker than legal yours was. Mine is one shade darker than legal, as legal tint in a wagon might as well not even be there.

Regards A

Last edited by anthonygubbin; 06-06-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-06-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 342 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I have no idea about the shades scale, that could vary from brand to brand of tint maybe, but you can have 35% light block out max. Anymore is too dark and thus illegal. Plus they only get concerned with the front side windows, rear didn't matter.

But also, if it gets around 10% it's a much more serious offense apparently.
They often let it go if it's a bit under 35%. A bit like speeding, there's a little bit over then there is stupid mad 120 past the school crossing type thing.

Mine was wayyy too dark. Very naughty.

Last edited by Hoobz; 06-06-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-06-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

that's a really nice lookign rig
Old 07-06-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just out of curiosity where did you get pulled over? I may just stay away from that area today

I've never had an issue with the police regarding lift, tyres, wheel offset ever, and mines a lot more well let's just say alot more modded than yours... He must have had a bad day...cause that's a clean looking WJ

I'd be a bit cautious just having a winch hanging over the front, police and offroad...better off placing it in a bumper

Last edited by grand_wj; 07-06-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old 07-06-2013
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Sooo...I got defected yestdee and was wonderin'...

Get the high mount; don't worry about the policy enforcement kill joys who should be chasing bad guys. Instead of hassling working people over tinting...
I see dangerous, unmaintained and jacked up death traps on the roads everyday. They usually doing 120-140 km/ hr driving like cut snakes. Never see them getting hassled or ticketed. As the cops know they don't pay fines anyway. Some one has to pay for the fuzz to have all their toys, so they target the hard working joe who has the most to loose. Your truck looks good to me. Cops have so much power they can hassle and ticket you just for fun.
Old 07-06-2013
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

Mud flaps - all too often this is the main reason they'll pull you over to start with.
FIT "em.
Post New Thread  Reply