The search for a magic carpet (Lifted ride discussion) - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-11-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 121 Times in 86 Posts

I think the fact that you now have IFS is a really big contributor to the harshness you are experiencing. This is my experience with all IFS vehicles offroad after having live axle vehicles.

I love the WH/XH's and always wanted to get one as my main offroad and camping rig, coming from all live axle 4wds previously I went offroading in my brother's XH with 2" lift (King springs and Bilstein 5100s) and 32" tyres which is a weapon offroad for what it is (and drives really nicely onroad, prob the best 4wd I've driven onroad), I just couldn't believe how uncomfortable the ride was on rough terrain, corrugations were nice, but actual 4 low stuff was way to bouncy and too much rocking around and wheel lifting for my liking. My mate has a KK that he offroads as well, same story, and this has been my experience for other IFS vehicles as well from other makes. I know you can build them (IFS vehicles in general) to be excellent offroaders with great wheel travel (for big $$), and obviously there are a lot of people using them as most 4wd are IFS these days, so they can obviously do the job but the tradeoff is that in the rough stuff they are not as smooth and forgiving.

If you go too soft on the spring rates then you won't have decent load carrying ability (if you go bullbar and winch) later and risk bottom out the front end more (which leads to a harsh ride as well).

I think taller sidewall tyres will help a lot when aired down. And possibly with beadlocks as well and really low pressures, but you will need to have only the best tyres to be happy and last long at very low pressures all the time.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121119

Last edited by Turismo07; 19-11-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 19-11-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

i know the OME CRD springs are different, as when i ordered my set up i was asked if i had the CRD or Petrol, they said the CRD engines are heavier and the springs have different part numbers.
Old 30-12-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 98 Times in 67 Posts

So I think I am going to go with the coilover option in the new year, once I move house I'll finally have a shed to pull a few things apart in and experiment a bit more.

Out of interest does anyone know what the limit factor is with the downward travel? What is causing the bang when unloading, is it that the struts are too short for the springs and thus slam them into pull extension?
Old 30-12-2018
Established Member

Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

ON my last Jeep it was the shockies hitting full extension , which is not good for them. i often got clunking under full extension when off road.
Old 31-12-2018
Established Member

Liked 169 Times in 116 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex View Post
Out of interest does anyone know what the limit factor is with the downward travel? What is causing the bang when unloading, is it that the struts are too short for the springs and thus slam them into pull extension?
There are no bump stops on either upper or lower front control arm.
The internals of the shock absorber do the job instead.
The OME thump hard on unload because of limited rebound damping.

Good luck with the move. I just went through it and arrggghhhh
Old 05-01-2019
Senior Newbie

Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts

When offroad, having the front swaybar disconnected makes a HUGE difference to the ride quality, and eliminates the continuous tipping motion.

The front is allowed to actually flex and as such doesn't transmit the bumps through the vehicle.

Try just removing one link and take it off road that way.

Cheers
Ben
Old 05-01-2019
Full Flexer

Liked 98 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2Micr0 View Post
When offroad, having the front swaybar disconnected makes a HUGE difference to the ride quality, and eliminates the continuous tipping motion.

The front is allowed to actually flex and as such doesn't transmit the bumps through the vehicle.

Try just removing one link and take it off road that way.

Cheers
Ben
Thanks for the reply Ben, I'd definitely agree with you on that one, so much so that I've now new motivation to install my quick disconnects. I do however think that there are improvements to be made with spring rates and the damping qualities of the shocks.
Post New Thread  Reply