Purchase advice needed! - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-10-2021
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts

Thanks for all the awesome replies so far.

Regarding doing up an XJ, it is an idea I have had. I have 3 running and 3 wrecks, all the same year and colour. I also have a running ZJ.
But being regional western australia, be hard to get a shop to work on it, plus, expensive.
I can spin a spanner semi okay, but probably not as much as what is needed in that scenario.

ST ZA

Thanks heaps for your reply. That was the sort of information I was looking for.

From what you wrote, Im guessing that they didnt do the rubicon in an automatic then?
Saw one recently cheapish, but it was a manual.
And on that, Ive seen an unlimited, a sport, and an unlimited sport.
Whats up with that.
I know the Tjs didnt come in a 4 door, but i see they came with the same motor and gearbox combo as the xj.
Thirsty as hell, but absolutely bulletproof and heaps of power with a few mods.

Looks like Ill just have to wait for this covid pricing to settle down. Im in no hurry, hence why I thought Id do the research now.

Much thanks to all who have replied so far.
Old 13-10-2021
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 111 Times in 81 Posts

Interesting point about the manual Rubicon - I'm pretty sure there are auto 3.8 Rubi's out there but I didn't see any for sale 2 months ago anywhere in Australia and none again when I checked now. Maybe they were really rare or just rarely come up for sale?

Sport is the trim package, Unlimited signifies it's the 4 door model.

Something to consider - the similarly reliable 3.8 V6 has more power in stock form than the 4.0 I6 and they were paired with the same 4 speed auto box.

And this might be fighting words to some... I think the JK is all-round better than the TJ, except in one area: Character.
Old 13-10-2021
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_za View Post

And this might be fighting words to some... I think the JK is all-round better than the TJ, except in one area: Character.
I found the TJ to be a lot more fun and more capable than my JK 4 door sport.

The TJ just couldn't match it for comfort on long trips, towing or space, not that the JK had great cargo space but there was a bit more.

I could drive about 7 hours in the JK, the TJ, I'd last about 2 hours before I'd had enough.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 13-10-2021
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 125 Times in 99 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I did exactly what you are hoping to do in 2016. Had owned my well modified 96 XJ Limited for 16 years and then went to a 2012 JKU sport 3.6 manual. The XJ had 59000km on it when I bought it stock off a mates Dad and 289000km when I sold it because the transmission died. The JK was completely stock and had 62000km when I got it and is now sensibly modified with 111000km. The JK is awesome with it's mod cons by comparison but I miss my XJ lots. It has a better turning circle, is lighter, more compact and can actually tow more then the JK, 2250kg to 2000kg. I payed $29k for the XJ back in 2000 and sold it for $1300 in 2017. The JK was $26k back in 2016 but people are asking $10k more than that for similar to mine which is crazy! I still have a 94 XJ Limited with 200000km that's a bit shabby at my Dad's in the country so maybe I'll get that sorted one day. I guess what I'm saying is don't be too quick to get rid of the XJ. And if you do go for a JKU, steer clear of the 3.8 especially in Auto as you'll be very disappointed with the performance compared to the XJ. I would never have bought a JKU if it weren't for the new 3.6 after test driving a 3.8 auto. Here a some pics of my 96 and 94 XJ's and my JKU. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130317_111953.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	79500   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130317_111934.jpg
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	79501   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210522_125756.jpg
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	79502   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210522_125736.jpg
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	79503  
Old 13-10-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

TJ’s have recently come into short supply.

Used to see 100+ on Carsales, now lucky to see 10 at any given time. Prices have gone up accordingly.
Old 26-10-2021
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts

Okay, for curiosity, what would you pick and why.
Im seeing good mods on some, but not alround.
Like one has upgraded tyres and suspension, but stock bumper and no racks.
I'll see another with an exo cage, aftermarket bars, but then stock tyres.

I'm just trying to weigh up what you would be better spending money on, and what you could get after...

Decent rack $500-$1000?
Frontbar $500 - $1000
Upgraded suspension or lift $2000+
Tyres $1000 plus...

Then I see a stock standard overland, but its got the 3.6, leather, and some other nice tweaks, but basically stock, so would need all the above...

Its a bit of a mind boggle

Not a real fan of the colour, but low kms, good rack, good front bar, spots, lightbar.
Suspension height looks stock, same with tyres

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/myar...top/1283709487

Like the colour, love the exo cage, good front bar. Noticed new looking shocks, but doesnt look lifted. The extra rubber flares and small tyres makes me think its been jacked before maybe,
looks like it may have been used for purpose.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/myar...top/1279101535

Definately lifted, falcon suspension, bigger tyres, higher kms, but service history. No rack, and stock front bar. Cheaper price.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wang...top/1283041005

The overland. Leather. Looks clean. The only one with the penstar 3.6 instead of the 3.8. 5 speed auto instead of 4 too.
High kms, higher price, looks stock.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wang...top/1283041005

Definately lifted, bigger tyres, front and rear bar, winch, rock sliders.
High kms, no hard top is a killer.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/rock...top/1282958973

Standard height an tyres, but aftermarket front bar, exo cage, spotties. Higher km, older year, cheaper

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/ashb...top/1283521634

Another clean stock 3.6 apart from aftermarket bar.
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/gidg...ted/1281731412

If this was auto, i would buy it tommorow haha

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/aust...ler/1281629094

Just curious out of that list, what a jk owner would pick and why...might help my plight.
Cheers
Old 27-10-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 547 Times in 265 Posts

My 2 cents worth. If u really want to do the business and save some money in the long run buy a JKU Rubicon, add a 2" lift, rear airbags and some MT tyres. Put a "skeleton" roof rack on it or one that goes thru the hard top and bolts on to roll cage. Add a tow bar. Put in a 2nd battery. Remove the rear seats (if it is only for you) and add some drawers and a fridge slide. If u must a bull bar or something else that's light for fitting lights (to reduce extra weight).Oh, and a radio and removable sat/nav of some sort.

If u have TJ etc u probably have this gear. A roof top tent is handy also. Most vehicles that u buy 2nd hand probably have all this stuff.

Mine is a manual JKU 07 3.8 gas guzzler but what do you expect. I have an Amarok 3L V6 and it gets the same mileage pulling a van or trailer as does the JKU. Go figure.

I don't think that 07 JKU came in auto (in Aust) and if it did they would be few and far between. The manual means just that... u need to use the gears to get the best performance out of the vehicle. The gear box is unbreakable and, depending on how u use the vehicle, the clutch needs changing around every 100000km... put in a stronger one when a change is needed. Also change rear main seal each time because they are known to leak and its another $1000 worth of work to insert a $60 part. I had to put in a new water pump @ about 80000km and a new alternator @ about 120000km...no trouble since.I changed the PCR and EGV at around 175000km. Keeping up with plug and lead changes also helps.

Oh, I did a complete suspension bush replacement at 195000km... it needed it after the corrugations it had to endure. I have changed shocks several times and springs until I got what works for me( Lovells). I change oil and filters every 10000km, do other small job maintenance myself and the big stuff gets done by mechanics I trust.... never (if I can help it) Jeep service centres.

The JKU Rubicon is incredibly capable as a rock crawler (for which it was designed), tour vehicle (if u don't mind bouncing around like a cock in a sock), and as a tow vehicle within its limits. The 3.8L powers about 30 million vans, trucks etc in the USA and is generally known as a "can't kill" engine. I service mine regularly every 10000kms (it has now done 235000 no troubles and I know of vehicles that r now 300000+kms).

I know at some point I will sell it but I still have a few more bush trips and tracks to tackle...forget the Amarok for this... it apparently has not been built as an "expedition vehicle" according to VW.

Hope this helps....

Last edited by humdingerslammer; 27-10-2021 at 06:00 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply