Xj help - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

I intend to change only one item at a time, even though it takes longer.

The new Trident Rad cap will not fit, and I will credit back off Bursons,and try and OEM... refitted the original, and cleaned the overflow bottle inside

Took the car to Sydney, fully loaded, with a light trailer too.
Ambient 24C Temp Gauge mainly ~85C max 100C stuck in Sydney traffic
Thermo is restictor only from PO

I did not loose any coolant, which is still mainly water (till its been fully flushed)

in order to prevent overfueling from washing oil down off the bores, (and mpg) I intend to try and get the coolant operating temp to close to factory parameters.

In a separate post, I will address what the PO said to me about Jeeps and overheating, when I questioned him

ps..wrong part out of the box is MY fav pet peeve..Bursons tried to give me a rad cap that was obviously too small at first (didnt have that vehicle with me).
Recently fitted head stud clamp (blind) nuts, and they were .040" variation, which meant they would have been an epic fail, very lucky to have detected the problem

Last edited by awg; 09-04-2016 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-04-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 169 Times in 134 Posts

Your car will be lean if your spark plugs are white, black if its rich and brown when its running good.

Sent from my SM-J100Y using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Old 10-04-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 95 Times in 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roler View Post
My favourite is finding out the part you put in initially at the beginning of a diagnostic process turning out to be faulthy out of the box..
Yep, done that before.
Had to put in a new crankshaft sensor, it's still running rough. Buy a camshaft sensor, it's still running rough. Maybe the crasnkshaft sensor is faulty, buy a new one. Still running rough, check all the other sensors, plugs etc. Maybe the 2nd camshaft sensor I put in is faulty. Bought a new one. Yahoo, problem solved.
Moral of the story: Don't buy cheap parts. Get the good stuff first.

I'm not fixing it, I'm improving it!

Jeep Cherokee XJ 10/1997
Old 25-04-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

Well guys, just arrived back from the 13 day trip 5900kms Brisbane to Bridsville, down Birdsville track up the Oodnadatta track to Williams Creek out to Coober Pedy, back to Williams Creek, back to Lydhurst, along the Strezlecki track to Cameron Corner, up the old Strezlecki then the new Strezlecki to Innaminka and home.

Going up the Toowoomba range towing at speed limit loaded camper went up to 108 degrees, however, as we approached the top where it is not quite as steep dropped back to 104 degrees.

Most of the trip varied between 95 and 98 a couple of times uphill touched 100 on the way home with tail wind dropped to 93 but hovered around 94-95.

Think Carvs hit the nail on the head, the new alloy radiator that was advertised to have 30% greater cooling efficiency is miss advertising and the adrad would have been about 3-4 degrees cooler everywhere. (note did change back to old radiator cap did not have time to change thermostat but old radiator cap meant did not get up to dizzy high temps like the new one did, obviously new one was not holding pressure)

The alloy radiator also allowed the trans cooler line to pop off, inspecting the line in the middle of no where it appeared to be all ok, just the fitting on the radiator not holding, so used Supatape added more trans fluid and traveled another 3000 kms without using any trans fluid, just have everything under bonnet and car front of trailer etc covered in a film of trans fluid.
Old 26-04-2016
Jingle ALL the way...

Liked 538 Times in 311 Posts

Good anti rust treatment; )

Stop calling your car a "she". It's a car.
Old 26-04-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 95 Times in 50 Posts

So what was your fuel consumption?

I'm not fixing it, I'm improving it!

Jeep Cherokee XJ 10/1997
Old 27-04-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjrob View Post
got to about 122, by time i was able to pull over the pressure was causing it to blow past radiator cap, i thought it should have just gone to the overflow bottle, but there was spray on the air box
Had this issue myself and no matter what tweak to the radiator cap I tried (ie. retentioning) nothing worked, the issue turned out to be a seating problem (cup/opening was misshapen) for the cap which could not be repaired, as it was an old radiator I replaced the entire thing.

So definitely try a new radiator cap (as rusty had already suggested) before proceeding with more expensive solutions

Last edited by tazwegion; 27-04-2016 at 03:11 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply