Problems with Ironman Lift, 2014 WK2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-11-2020
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default Problems with Ironman Lift, 2014 WK2

Hi All,

Looking for some insight as to the potential problem with my ironman lift. I purchased the front struts/springs and rear springs for a 40MM lift on a 2014 petrol WK2. I opted for the standard rate rear springs and the heavier 50-100kg constant load front springs (bash plates and pre-runner total about 60kg).

Had the lift installed by a local Ironman shop and picked it up at the end of the day Saturday. It has significant reverse rake with the front way higher than the rear. The shop acknowledged the issue and said give it time to settle and then they could help readdress. After getting home I took a few measurements and center of hubcap to bottom of mud guard is 574mm/523mm (F/R).

I also found the rear shock relocation brackets in the front seat so they were not installed.

Questions: Could the significant height on the front just be due to using the constant load springs as opposed to standard? The jeep doesn't seem to ride bad but there is a knock in the right front when the wheel rebounds after going over a speed bump at about 40k. Because the rear shock relocation mounts are not installed could this be holding the back of Jeep down?

I've e-mailed the shop to ask about the relocation brackets but wondering if anyone has seen such a significant difference in height after a lift. Thanks!

2014 WK2 V6 Petrol
Old 08-11-2020
I just registered

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Photo added for reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 WK2 V6 Petrol
Old 08-11-2020
Senior Newbie

Liked 43 Times in 28 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I'd be getting the rear shock brackets fitted ASAP as they are to stop the rear shocks being the topping out with the extra height.Put a jack under the back and see if you can jack it higher if you can then I'd assume the constant load springs are also whats holding the front higher .
Old 08-11-2020
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 73 Posts

Not using the relocation brackets would not hold the rear end down. Any limitation effect would be on full articulation.

While the front may settle, the rear probably will also settle by a similar amount... so you're unlikely to see much change in rake. You don't mention any additional weight bearing on the rear. If you are currently unladen, things will only get worse when you pack your stuff.

The photo is hard to make out the rake. Bear in mind that the guard-lip height is always a bit taller at the front. I don't have data at hand. Maybe check the front to rear sill height, or bottom edge of the doors?

How is the bump performance up front? OK, or does it hit too hard???

Cheers, Steve
Old 08-11-2020
I just registered

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

The back is mostly unladed. Just recovery gear and small tool bag, nowhere near the 100kg min for the constant load springs.

I measured from the bottom of the door at the farthest front point to and the furthest rear point and got 490/470 (F/R).

Bump performance and overall ride is surprisingly good. Doesn't feel to rough, just the knock when I go over speed bumps. We have a few of the soft but wide bumps in the neighborhood where 40kph is no issue. When the wheel comes off the bump i hear a knock on the divers side front.

Best picture I could get, garage is the only level area I have and not enough room to back up.

2014 WK2 V6 Petrol
Old 08-11-2020
MonsterMoose

Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Not enough weight in the front to warrant the heavy duty springs. They are more aimed at running a bar and winch. Looks quite high in that picture!

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 08-11-2020
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog2516 View Post
I measured from the bottom of the door at the farthest front point to and the furthest rear point and got 490/470 (F/R).
Yeah that's heaps mate. It's gotta go back.

I also agree with the comment above and believe a "standard upgrade" spring would be sufficient for your front end weight addition. These are invariably (read always) heavier than stock anyway. It would be interesting to see the spring data for the two options... both kg/mm* and free length.

For some reason, cock-ups with "constant load" packages do seem to be a thing.

Cheers, Steve

* often quoted as lb/in... coz Freedom Units.
Post New Thread  Reply