What did you do to your XJ today? 1M Views - Page 2617 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2017
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernicious View Post
Turns out I was right. The TW DS has limited range of motion with the CV joint and the CV rubs the yoke.

Is it possible that it's just the cap? I think that's all since I did a coolant flush right before the snow fall. I should have replaced it then, but didn't. Thoughts?
Vernicious, i have been through the same problems as you. I got two drive shafts from Olivers. Bloody brilliant quality, but had vibration issues.
If you read my thread on my XJ here http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=135528 it explains the problem and the fix..
"I received the new driveshaft and it was exactly the same as the other one. Articulation was limited to 21-23*. My XJ runs at approx 20* just sitting in the driveway, so this one was bound to bind as well.

I started trawling the internet for clues and found some interesting stuff. There are reports of driveshafts binding when using a greasable center ball. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/fr...m-wood-580712/ The greasable socket yoke/ball Spicer 211355x interferes with the yoke at larger articulations as compared to the non greasable Spicer 211544x. I emailed Tom Woods at Custom Drive shafts and he confirmed there was a problem in that area. I also emailed Dave at Olivers and they said they had never had any problems before but is willing to work with me to get it fixed.

I got my original drive shaft and my Olivers drive shaft and swapped center balls. The original drive shaft then lost 5-10* of flex and the Olivers gained the 5-10*. So there is the problem. The greasable ball restricts double cardan flex by binding" with pictures...

Also, i have a Stant Lever Vent cap.. about $6 and you can use this new cap to do a pressure test for free on your Jeep. The link is here http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/....php?p=1584198 and it works great for pressure testing your system, finding any leaks etc..

Cheers,
Old 11-05-2017
Established Member

Liked 218 Times in 109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbrown64 View Post
Vernicious, i have been through the same problems as you. I got two drive shafts from Olivers. Bloody brilliant quality, but had vibration issues.
If you read my thread on my XJ here http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=135528 it explains the problem and the fix..
"I received the new driveshaft and it was exactly the same as the other one. Articulation was limited to 21-23*. My XJ runs at approx 20* just sitting in the driveway, so this one was bound to bind as well.

I started trawling the internet for clues and found some interesting stuff. There are reports of driveshafts binding when using a greasable center ball. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/fr...m-wood-580712/ The greasable socket yoke/ball Spicer 211355x interferes with the yoke at larger articulations as compared to the non greasable Spicer 211544x. I emailed Tom Woods at Custom Drive shafts and he confirmed there was a problem in that area. I also emailed Dave at Olivers and they said they had never had any problems before but is willing to work with me to get it fixed.

I got my original drive shaft and my Olivers drive shaft and swapped center balls. The original drive shaft then lost 5-10* of flex and the Olivers gained the 5-10*. So there is the problem. The greasable ball restricts double cardan flex by binding" with pictures...

Also, i have a Stant Lever Vent cap.. about $6 and you can use this new cap to do a pressure test for free on your Jeep. The link is here http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/....php?p=1584198 and it works great for pressure testing your system, finding any leaks etc..

Cheers,
Thanks for the info. I figured the DS was the big issue. I swapped my greasable CV to the front which runs much less angle than the rear. It solved the vast majority of the issue. I think that I'm going to need to cut and weld the rear axle to get the pinion perfect. If I'm going to do that, I might as well find a good 8.8 to put back there...

I replaced the cap yesterday with a 16 PSI cap. I figured that was the issue since I had no cooling issues. It just pushed the coolant out the cap, all while the guy age was reading approximately 210* F. I'm not too concerned.
Old 11-05-2017
AJOR Bronze

Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

Went Bush..........Went out the 21 Mile way out in the middle of nowhere 50 ks from Barcaldine in the bush...
But only 45 mins from home....
Needed to run the Jeep after adding the AT205 to the transmission and moving the tranny cooler too early to say if the leak has stopped but since moving the tranny cooler 5 deg difference in engine temps I am impressed 2nd reason had to run Herbie if he doesn't go for a long walk everyday of a serious bush run he explodes wrecks the house uses the lounge as a berm cnr cattle dog energy.... bully naughtiness...............but that's Herbie
A nice afternoon by the river I want to go camp the night out there..........................

_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 12-05-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 106 Times in 53 Posts

Lots of maintenance today. Replaced:

Rotten rear driveshaft uni.
New rotors and EBC yellowstuff pads (finally), brake fluid flush.
Engine oil and filter.
Power steering fluid change.
Tranny and transfer case fluid change.

Next to do will be breather extensions and steering box brace.
Old 12-05-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 228 Times in 157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluBelle View Post
Went Bush..........Went out the 21 Mile way out in the middle of nowhere 50 ks from Barcaldine in the bush...
But only 45 mins from home....
Needed to run the Jeep after adding the AT205 to the transmission and moving the tranny cooler too early to say if the leak has stopped but since moving the tranny cooler 5 deg difference in engine temps I am impressed 2nd reason had to run Herbie if he doesn't go for a long walk everyday of a serious bush run he explodes wrecks the house uses the lounge as a berm cnr cattle dog energy.... bully naughtiness...............but that's Herbie
A nice afternoon by the river I want to go camp the night out there..........................

_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Beautiful country lulu, occasionly I would get the chance to stop somewhere like that & the VHF turned itself off, ( no where are you now for a little while) couple of rum & cokes & a siesta. Wake up brand new, I reckon I'd live to 120 if I lived out there.
Old 16-05-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts

went up to jakems farm last week end great camp site real friendly owners miles and miles of tracks and a test track just inside the gate, managed to bend the gearbox bash plate/support plate some more, so much more that the front shaft was trying to work its way into the passenger foot well, we had to rip it off at the side of the track and beat the crap out of it with a club hammer, then used a couple of 5mm tent pegs as spacers, only had a couple of bangs since ,so will have a look at making a new one one day.
Old 23-05-2017
Established Member

Liked 58 Times in 28 Posts
Default What did you do to your XJ today? 1M Views

Scored a LRA axillary petrol tank. Really nice bit of gear. Going in right now. Holes are marked just need to drill and bolt it up. Hard part will be the Y neck filler which it didnt come with as the car being wrecked had a LPG tank in the original tank area.

Conveniently i already had the seats out and carpet up since i got a leak in the seals on both front doors im not sure if thats an xj thing. Lol

Hole lines up with existing chassis rail hole...not too precisely had to widen it a bit with a burr.

Tanks got baffle plate. Pickup tray. Tube engineered for handbrake. Has a bit of rust maybe the owner ran ethanol mixture and left it sit. Cleaned it up and theres a magnet in there thats also smart.
Think its 68 litre. Alloy coated cold rolled steel. With a thick coat of 2 pac paint.

Fairly stoked i got this one i had a more of a DIY tank that was full of rust needing to be rust treated & blasted, waiting to go in but this one came along at just the right moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by BillabongXJ; 23-05-2017 at 08:44 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply