MB: The Return of Java Jeep's FrankenJeep - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-06-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 54 Times in 27 Posts

Any thoughts or comments about using the BMW M40 slant 4 ?

I'm looking for good all round performance improvements over the Hurricane 4 with highway cruise capability but keeping the drivetrain as much Willys as I can.

Hopefully this engine will deliver.
Old 27-06-2016
Not a very good stuntmam

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts

Welcome back! If I remember correctly didn't you once find an M sport engine in a wreckers over there?
Old 27-06-2016
CrawlerStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Welcome back! If I remember correctly didn't you once find an M sport engine in a wreckers over there?
Hi Jeff,

Good memory, yes I still have it , it's out of an E34 M5 (S38B36) 3.6 liter straight six

I ended up finding an E34 M5 so this became a source of spares for the M5

Years ago a BMW mechanic who owned a CJ7 suggested the M3 S14B25 2.5 liter 4 would be great for the Willys but the purchase and spares prices for these M engines are too expensive to use them for off road.

That's why I went for a more common BMW 4 cylinder
Old 04-08-2016
CrawlerStar

Some progress today.

We got the BMW M40B18 engine running after sitting for years. Idles ok.

The tank mounted electric fuel pump is not providing fuel so we went with a hillbilly drink bottle sitting up on the windscreen wiper.

I'm surprised the engine started with a gravity fed fuel supply, no real fuel pressure.

We will have a good look at the overall condition of the engine tomorrow including a compression test.

The plan is to get the engine running ok in the donor vehicle prior to pulling it out for the engine swap. Then we have a known running engine in case any problems arise during the engine swap.

Old 04-08-2016
LokRinger

Liked 1,744 Times in 551 Posts

Was there much smoke on the first start up Tony?

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 04-08-2016
CrawlerStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
Was there much smoke on the first start up Tony?
Hi Marcus, no smoke , clean start and a smooth idle.

I haven't been able to rev it feeding it from a drink bottle, the injectors need fuel pressure.

So far the engine looks good.

The biggest issue with the M40 is the timing belt. Looking at the condition of the rest of the rubber and fan belts etc in the engine bay we'll replace the timing belt before the project is completed.

Setting up the work area now at my warehouse.

Lots of good bits and money to be saved getting a complete donor car.

In addition to the engine and clutch I'm going to use the clutch master cylinder, radiator, electric fan, brake master cylinder and most of the electrical system , fuse box etc.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7814 (1).jpg
Views:	38
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	74531   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7818 (1).jpg
Views:	38
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	74532   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7819 (1).jpg
Views:	35