R.I.P. - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-09-2004
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDASH
I can go to the public auction and try...
some policies allow you to first option to buy the write-off direct (ie last month teh mother-in law's car was stolen, trashed, recovered and they said we could buy it for $1500)...I just thought if they offered it to you cheap enough it would be worth looking in to.

I know exactly what you mean about which way to go with toy/car/driver thing......we always like variety hey

Old 24-09-2004
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpage66
how did the Buckshots go up until it got stuck
Brilliant...I actually arranged to take them off and put the old Good Year "Almost" Terrains on (lucky I kept them).

If things work out how I'm thinking at the moment (toy+car) then I wont be getting another WJ...which means that I should shortly have posted a cheap set of 5 almost new MAXXIS Buckshots, an almost new ARB stabiliser bar, and a WJ nudge bar.
Old 24-09-2004
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodol55
some policies allow you to first option to buy the write-off direct
I was seriously thinking about it (whether it was a buyout or at the auction) but now I'm thinking that maybe it was a blessing in disguise. I'm not that worse off dollar wise and with the 4x4'ing I like (mud...mmmmm...muuuuud) then I'm probably better off with something that can be thrashed around a little...and can take a some water without an issue. Obviously I don't want to take water again and I'll do a lot to prevent water damage...BUT IT WAS A FEW SECONDS OF A WAVE ON THE RECOVERY...HOW CAN IT BE WRITEN OFF!!!

...but I'm not bitter at all...
Old 24-09-2004
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Brett - I enjoy having a toy and a DD - could be the way to go.....
If I was doing it again, i'd buy a CJ7 or 6 or something and have a play...
Old 24-09-2004
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry to hear the news BD

I would personally NEVER buy a water damaged car - especially a WJ. The electrical systems are so complex that you would spend literally YEARS working through the gremlins. It just 'ain't worth it - and knowing what DC want for spares... as you find that you need them.... wow - you'd be far worse off.

Hope you get another Grand.... I've had problems with mine, but I really love it.
http://www.omaroo.net
Old 24-09-2004
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK
I enjoy having a toy and a DD - could be the way to go...
I'm tending that way...looking at an '84 FSJ on Sunday could be a real option...we'll see.
Old 24-09-2004
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispy
you would spend literally YEARS working through the gremlins
yeah, that's what I'm thinking. If I was a mechanic or an auto elec maybe...but I the time and effort of getting it back to where it is OK, could defeat me. It may only be acouple of grand...but over the next year or two or more it could cost me another $20K...who knows???

Aside from the electrics, there seems nothing wrong with the motor, however I did have mud residue after at the top of the motor after the air filter...so who knows, may be I could spend a few grand on replacing all of the electrics to only have the motor go the next day...who knows???

...or whoever buys it could do it up for a couple of grand and have 20 more years of driving without a problem...I'm just not willing to take that chance.