Cirebon , Central Java , Java Jeep Team May 2002 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > LOCATIONS | EVENTS | TRIPS > Wheres the best spots to drive?
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-12-2002
CrawlerStar

Liked 54 Times in 27 Posts
Default Cirebon , Central Java , Java Jeep Team May 2002

Headed to a Cirebon 6 hours out of Jakarta for Round 2 of the DJarum Super Real Adventure Off Road series back in May 2002

Thursday night was scrutineering and driver briefing

Friday : Trial stage

Saturday : Country road stage

Sunday : Trial stage held in Cirebon Stadium

There were 2 classes : Willys with a pre 1972 Willys engine and open which is for modified Willys and other makes.

After 4 days of off roading I got home and fell asleep while sitting on the can talking to my secretary about my afternoon meeting (that I missed).

FrankenJeep made the 150 mile trip (7 hours on the truck and bus infested, potholed highway) competed in 2 sprint events and a day and night adventure trip up into a 10,000 foot high sleeping volcanoe.

I placed no.13 out of 40 after the organizers cancelled the results of the volcanoe trip due to protests on route marking, quite a few got lost and we made up some places. I was personally sitting at 10th and the Java Jeep Team was 5 out of 12.

We were at a disadvantage as we had 3 not 4 Jeeps in our team and we lost some time on the day 1 mudbogger and river winch. While the other teams used Jeep 4 as a winch point I had to winch the other Jeeps (F-head CJ2a and an L-head M38) out of the mud bogger and then go into the bogger climb out with no assistance.

The night of day 1 FrankenJeep was the only Jeep to make it up one really steep part of the trail due to the double lockers.

Day 2's volcanoe trip was the best off roading I have ever done and we were really in the Jungle, we saw around 30 monkeys and the roll cage on FrankenJeep did a great job of keeping the vines and stuff out of my face as we bored a hole in the brush.

Day 3 was a supercross type sprint. The first Jeep completed the course in 1 min 58 secs and then we had a tropical downpour for 40 mins and 60% didn't get more than 25% through the truck due to mud and deep water.

I rolled due to seeing that part of the course (which I walked that morning) had been closed and I was concerned about being disqualified if I went through I threw to the right up the new part of the course but too late. The lockers slid the Jeep to the left and the wheels dug into the deep mud and I had enough sideways momentum to put FrankenJeep on its side (my side), the Jeep was righted on 4 wheels and I rolled again, it was righted once again and I blasted through the closed section of truck which was an absolute bog and completed the course in a total time of 4mins 44 secs including the 2 roll overs (really side flops ).

The M38 bogged 3 feet short of the finish line and ended up with a default time of 10 mins rather than the 3 mins if he was able to finish.

After the comp finished at 10pm on Sunday night (40 Willys Jeeps and 110 open class modified Jeeps and Toyota LandCruisers) we drove straight back to Jakarta, we lost our support vehicle for 4 hours (the driver had a 15 min roadside nap and woke up 3 hours later and we had passed him in the night).

FrankenJeep required a new set of points, a spark plug clean, a clutch adjustment and a new starter.

I replaced the clutch, reset the valves and rejet the carb (running too rich).

Other than that I was happy that my MB/CJ2a could travel to the event, compete for 3 days and then drive home without being towed. It finally achieved the reliability I dreamed of for the last 18 months
Old 26-12-2002
CrawlerStar

PHOTOS DAY 01

Day 01 Friday - Start and Trial Stage 01

Budhy's CJ2a

Some of the JavaJeep Team

Yuskar and Ipong in the M38

Start line , 50 Willys Jeeps and 100 other vehicles get ready

One of my security guys and FrankenJeep , note lack of Duct Tape !

Our 'Satpams' , I usually take a couple of security gaurds on these trips to stop tools and Jeeps disappearing from the Pit Area
Old 26-12-2002
CrawlerStar

DAY 01 - More pics

FrankenJeep crossing the start line - 3 days to go !

One of the other team's Jeeps entering the river

[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0KwCtDZIOVDUT0C5BDPUd4f3!iJwLqht9cGfSjgeygAcOrYjqV e*nUroQpC15PkuJ!E3lG2p!Vh4/Tony1.jpg[/img]

Going for it ! . . . and getting some press coverage in the Indonesian National autosport rag Otosport

BTW I hadn't just done an Evil Kineval by jumping from the other side of the river !

We had to follow the river coming from the left of the photo and then get up a 4 foot high vertical bank (it was torn up by the 24 other Jeeps that went before us). In the end I had to winch out, now if I had a V6.....

FrankenJeep gets out of the river , in spite of my efforts we had to winch out due to a slipping clutch
Old 26-12-2002
CrawlerStar

DAY 01 - yep , more pics !

Trial Stage 01 - more river shots

Changing FrankenJeep's starter motor
Old 26-12-2002
CrawlerStar

Sunday - Trial Stage 2
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Another bloody river

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Waiting in a rice paddy - traffic ahead

Old 26-12-2002
CrawlerStar

Climbing Mount Chirami - an extinct volcano

The ' pungi ' sticks were a major concern in the event of a roll over !

------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 26-12-2002
CrawlerStar

Day 03 - Final Special Stage

Budhy's CJ2a is bone stock except for an F-head engine and Diahatsu wheels and it does pretty well !

" Can somebody give us a push ! " Sufri [ Nickname : " Monkey " my navigator and mechanic ] having a quick laugh at the situation I had gotten us into , we lost 3 minutes which put the team back to 5th place out of 14 teams

[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0LQAAAJUP618y683mpkNp8n9!FYbMKrJHCijKSkuc5rdvBPgpf mfvj9b*PhH8!46oChr2Y95eqsM/Laydown.jpg[/img]

Backing up using the side rear view mirror , I ended up driving through the sludge like I wanted to rather than go around it as the course marshalls directed , no problem once we were back on 4 wheels . Duct tape from trail damage on Saturday .

Over all a fantastic 3 days of off roading Willys style !
Post New Thread  Reply