My XJ 3" Lift & Locker instal - Page 18 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-04-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the part number Rusty.

So,the Jeep uses the same unis from front to rear?

The front diff is turning the tailshaft because you don't have freewheeling hubs.
Old 19-04-2012
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

Easy I have 6 unis in mine and they're all the same...

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 19-04-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeh I know the front shaft will spin in 2wd because of no unlocking hubs and being driven by the wheels. Because of my worn universals the shaft was causing a dragging effect putting load on the pinion making the locker pay up n lock/load up.

If I had of done a faster then walking pace full lock turn It would feel like the locker was locking and unlocking causing the front end to shake and make a terrible clunk.

Now it just clicks/ratchets like its spose too. No violent clunk.

Seems after some researched, alot of people have this problem with auto lockers in the front. I couldn't find any info on people actually fixing the problem and seems like that just deal with it. Hopefully that will find this thread

O yeh all the uni's are the same in the Jeep.
Old 19-04-2012
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nice safety boots looks like something i would do LOL
Old 21-04-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yep always safety first! Lol I wear boots to much at work.

Im off to booloomba creek n conondale state forrest for 4x4/camping. Will get good pics n vid
Old 22-04-2012
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey rusty what did you do with your brake lines ???
i have just installed my 3" lift.
The front look ok but rear my need extending a bit ??
Old 23-04-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mato View Post
Hey rusty what did you do with your brake lines ???
i have just installed my 3" lift.
The front look ok but rear my need extending a bit ??

My rear I just bent down a little and there was enough length.

The front was the problem on mine, disconnected they where limiting travel. I was able to relocate the bracket and straighten the line out to give it enough length. Here is a picture that might help. Not my Jeep but you get the idea

Just got back from a camping trip out to Booloomba Creek with a couple of mates in the Pag, patrol & KJ. A few pictures
Me and the better half at a nice swimming hole in the middle of no where.

Stopping for lunch

I sleep better in the XJ then I do in my 6 man OZ Trail tent and alot easier to setup

Donno how my mate in the patrol did this. One minute he was behind me, the next I look back and hes like this. Freaking out with his hubs unlocked

I will upload some video when I get a chance to edit it all. I Didn't get as much as I'd like because I was having rear right brake problems the hole trip.

Before the trip I thought I would check a clunk I was getting in the rear drum.

Pulled the drum off to find my new rear brake shoes where bent at the top & had taken out the side of the new wheel cylinder. This is the second time that has happened. I pulled the shoe out and straightened it out in the vice With a a little hammer action. Looked at the wheel cylinder and it was still working just had a piece of the casing smashed off, but wasn't leaking fluid like the last time this happen.

Here is a picture as I was pulling it apart.

Anyway drove off and got to my first stop and I felt the rear rims because I could smell a burning smell. The right rear one was hot to touch, so off with the wheel and drum again and found the auto tensioner cable snapped, a shinny rub mark on the top of the rear shoe and a nice grove in the drum. I removed the bit of cable and spring out and adjusted the adjuster right back. This seemed to help but after another about 30km off road it was hot again. Took the wheel and drum off again, pulled it all apart and put it back together and it was fine on the trip out of the bush and back home.

Donno what to do now. Looked on ebay and the kit for a disk conversion is almost $1000. Wooders stock all the gear to rebuild the drum brakes but would still cost alot but will still get a price. I found this for $138 and have sent a email to see how much post would be.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/56215_907.htm

Anyone got any suggestions?

Last edited by rusty577; 23-04-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply