Custom ARB winch bar - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-12-2009
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Custom ARB winch bar

Ok, so i decided afew months ago that i wanted a winch for the front of the xj but currently have the standard ARB bar(non winch compatible). I got together with XJKEE and he decided that with abit of welding/chopping and all round butchering, it would be possible to mount a winch to the existing bar! Rippa! So after the 12000lb tigerz winch and mounting plate arrived we got stuck into it and have finished up with a pretty good setup that i`m stoked with. All the credit must go out to XJKEE as he was the brains of the whole operation as i was basically there just to lift heavy things and play on the grinder !
Old 21-12-2009
Banned

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

any pics??????
Old 21-12-2009
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sounds good, but whats the point of a fab thread with no details on how you did it or pics of the end product?
Old 21-12-2009
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Easy fellas, they are coming- will get them up asap.
Old 21-12-2009
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Some people have no patience whatsoever!
Old 21-12-2009
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hmmmmm
No brains from me Two Dogs.

We got stuck into it - I have to say it was great having another body there to help with cutting, grinding and all the lifting which I usually struggle with by my self.

First up, Two Dogs (TD) got the winch, mounting plate for it ( a lot easier than making from scratch) and some 200 x 6mm plate.

We then got his front bar off, which took a fair bit with the way it was mounted. Most of this was ditched, as we were going to use a different way.

Once that was off, it was time to measure up the new mounting plates and cut them.

We also gave the bar better approach angles and cleaner lines
Old 21-12-2009
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You can see in the previous pic the white line. This was cut along here with some angle welded on later to give some strenght back.
A lot better approach angles now.

These are the new mounting plates. We drilled the holes using a template from the old mounting stuff and some guesswork.

Also cut away most of the old mounting points, leaving just a bit for extra strength.

Then, with the new plates bolted on, we trial fitted the bar, cutting in slots.
Must have got something right as it fitted well.

It was late in the day and TD hade to go, so I put enough welds on the bar to make sure it would never move, so TD could drive home with the bar on, instead of driving around with no bar.