Fuel Leak - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-01-2024
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 74 Times in 68 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

After more research, I am convinced that the Solenoid is gone. So the question is, where can I get one? I don't need the entire starter motor since the one I have is tip top, just the solenoid seem to be on its way out. There is no point driving this car with the potential option to get yet stranded again somewhere.

I tried different ways in finding the part number or what ever. I would even considering buying another starter motor which would not necessarily fit to the CRD but at least has the Solenoid I need.
Old 27-01-2024
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 273 Times in 220 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Is it the solenoid coil or the contacts? The coil you can test with an ohmmeter. If it's the contacts you will hear the solenoid pull in but no cranking.

The reason I ask is that contacts can be repaired with emery cloth, time and elbow grease. I'd probably go somewhere around 100 to 250 grit - reasonable coarse.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk
Old 27-01-2024
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,566 Times in 4,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoergM View Post
After more research, I am convinced that the Solenoid is gone. So the question is, where can I get one? I don't need the entire starter motor since the one I have is tip top, just the solenoid seem to be on its way out. There is no point driving this car with the potential option to get yet stranded again somewhere.

I tried different ways in finding the part number or what ever. I would even considering buying another starter motor which would not necessarily fit to the CRD but at least has the Solenoid I need.
What part of it is gone?
If its the coil, you need a new one. On the XJ diesel they are the same as many others. Looking at the body of the coil, the part number is stamped on it. It is a typical Bosch number. You may find its the same as on a V8 ford if the starter has 3 bolts holding it to the bell housing. Normally its the clutch in the cog that fails by slipping. They can be purchased separately as well. The guy in Lithuania is good for them.
Old 01-02-2024
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
What part of it is gone?
If its the coil, you need a new one. On the XJ diesel they are the same as many others. Looking at the body of the coil, the part number is stamped on it. It is a typical Bosch number. You may find its the same as on a V8 ford if the starter has 3 bolts holding it to the bell housing. Normally its the clutch in the cog that fails by slipping. They can be purchased separately as well. The guy in Lithuania is good for them.
Thanks for the reply. It is the coil. The last couple of days I did not have the screeching noise. However this was the same for my previous starter motor. It started sometimes, then gradually it was getting more till the motor did not engage anymore. However, that motor (was from a magneti marelli starter motor) had also issues on the motor itself, which the current one does not have. I recall that the magnete marelli coil had a number and unfortunately I did not take a picture of it so I can look it up. The one from the MB does not seem to have any part or product number on it. I looked all over and could not find something. This one looks pretty much like to one I have installed. But cannot tell about the measures and if this would fit. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/266594565897
Old 01-02-2024
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanLuke View Post
Is it the solenoid coil or the contacts? The coil you can test with an ohmmeter. If it's the contacts you will hear the solenoid pull in but no cranking.

The reason I ask is that contacts can be repaired with emery cloth, time and elbow grease. I'd probably go somewhere around 100 to 250 grit - reasonable coarse.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk
Thanks Luke. As mentioned above it is the coil. I bench tested it with a battery and it worked perfectly. But there was no resistance on the bendix wheel. I guess once it has to be pushed into the fly wheel, things are changing and for that it might not be strong enough.