KK replacement battery - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KK Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-11-2020
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Exclamation Battery Charging Voltages

OK, I think now I am really confused:

Projecta IDC25:

CTEK D250SE:

Oh FFS, one says one thing, and the other is exactly opposite....

Time to go to the battery manufacturers rather than the charger manufacturers.....
Old 30-11-2020
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)

Century Batteries Charging Information:

Wet/Flooded is less than AGM in this table.... and the 14.2v-14.3v measured would be fine, but a bit higher would be better.

I have also discovered that "older" AGM are 14.4v charging, 'newer' AGM are 14.7, so now it depends on the individual battery you are talking about!

Still have to find out what the deal is with the Calcium.
I doubt the 40 odd types of machinery that take this Cat PHO Calcium battery have 15.4v charging systems. And I would imagine that a company like Cat would work this stuff out before cross-referencing parts for fitment against machinery?

Last edited by Wiz.au; 30-11-2020 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-12-2020
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)

My CTEK MXS 5 specifically mentions Calcium (Ca/Ca) batteries in the group with standard WET flooded Pb/Acid, & Maintenance Free batteries, to be charged at 14.4v. Interestingly it also puts GEL in this set, 'and many AGM'.

But "most AGM(?) like Optima [spiral?] & Odyssey" as 14.7v, not 14.4v.

So, it would appear some AGM are 14.4v, and Optima Yellow (but NOT RED, from Optima Information) and some other flat plate AGM are 14.7v.

OK, that's AGM sort of 'sorted'. You need to check your specific AGM battery for what charging voltage it requires, then make sure your charger can do that, and depending on the charger, the 'AGM' setting MAY NOT ACTUALLY BE CORRECT!

Recondition mode goes up to 15.8v for recombination process.

Last edited by Wiz.au; 01-12-2020 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-12-2020
CrawlerStar

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Wow thanks mate, that’s invaluable info right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2021
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)
Default Battery & charging info

FCA got back to me and said it was not possible to change the charging voltage to suit different battery types. The car, although the charging is done by PWM by the PCM, does not have the ability to change the charge voltage to suit different batteries. It is fixed at @14.2v (according to my battery diagnostic tool voltage graph).

Bear this in mind if replacing the factory AGM with a new style AGM that should be charged at 14.7v.

I think for Calcium, I might get away with the 14.2v charging and a 15.8v recondition charge cycle every 6 months.

I'm also putting a 10w solar panel maint charger on the starter battery. I've installed an IGN switched relay that cuts out the IDC25 AUX battery charger so it won't suck all the power from the 10w solar panel to charge the AUX battery. I use a 280w solar blanket when parked in the bush, and a 19v laptop charger off 240v AC into the solar input of the IDC25 when parked at home, to keep the AUX battery charged up.

Now I just have to install the 240v AC inverter off the AUX battery so I can charge the 18v Makita batteries for the chainsaw. Wish Makita made a dual slot 12v charger

Last edited by Wiz.au; 08-01-2021 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Adding pictures
Post New Thread  Reply