Can your KK fly? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KK Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2017
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default Can your KK fly?

Mine did.
I had to do a 2200k flyer. Started out at 9pm in terrible weather. Very wet. Very windy. And cold. Due to the conditions with lots of water on the road I was in 4x4 and only doing about 100k. (I was in south australia heading for the gold coast).
Over a crest and a kangaroo smiled at me and tried to cross the road. I hit the brakes and locked up the fronts. Turn slightly left to try to miss it. But just as I was about to clip him he had second thoughts and done a U turn. Fell over and I hit him smack bang amidships. Well I though it was going to be a write off. Instead he went under the KK and launched me off the ground. Maybe all four wheels!! Felt like it. Landed facing the curb, a bit of lucky correction got me straight again. Clean underwear and I kept driving. Albeit a bit slower. KK felt like it had a bad alignment for a few k's but it came good. Although the smell of hot roo makes me think more than a bit of him was still underneath.
15 k's and a town with a street light and less rain I got out holding my breath. Only damage was a few broken bits bellow the bumper. Although it was being held in place by about 200m of leg bone!!! I left it there.
I had a camera tripod in the back along with my fridge. The fridge stayed there although it wasn't tied down. The camera tripod hit the back of the drivers seat and ended up on the floor. All the loose change in the console ended up in every nook and cranny of the KK. I'm still finding it.

Moral of the story? First don't take on a 5ft roo. Second make sure all you loose stuff is secure. (Cargo net is on my shopping list). Third all that 'cheap' plastic on the front of the KK is much much stronger than I expected.

Now I gota go and get this darn bone out from under the bumper. Anyone got a dog?
Old 07-08-2017
Established Member

Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts

Wow what a story. Glad everything turned out ok....roo burgers anyone lol

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 51 Times in 38 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Good reflexes!

Roos always manage to make the wrong move at the last minute, like moths to a flame.
Old 08-08-2017
Established Member

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

OK I've had a chance now to survey the damage!! Almost none. Those darn KK's are tuff.

The roo hit right on the tow/recovery hook on the right front. Broke the chrome fancy thingy under the bumper. Parts of the bumper was distorted but when I pulled the leg bone out it popped back into shape. There was a lot of yucky bits stuck to the back of the right front hub. More yucky bits on the steering arm and front transmission case. A few more bits of gore down along the drive train area.

So I was much more lucky than the roo. But if he hadn't slipped over doing a u turn I'm sure he would have done a lot of damage.

Mind you a few hundred k later I almost got another one between Goondiwindi and Warwick. Much bigger. Missed him by 'this' much! Never ever travel that road at night. There are hundreds and hundreds of dead roos on the side of the road.

bruce
Old 08-08-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 27 Times in 26 Posts

I traveled that road from Ipswich to St George and back every 10 days for a year and a half the roos are worse on the other side of gundy

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 26 Times in 21 Posts

I always take the 39 up through Tba and avoid that road at all costs. Its dark and been in shit condition for as long as i can remember. Havent been there for a few years mind you so not sure if its been upgraded recently.
Old 09-08-2017
Established Member

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Had time to give it a wash today. Was starting to stink. I think there is still a bit of roo underneath it somewhere.

When I was washing it I found that the bumper, drivers side, is just hanging there. Looks ok but is very loose and would be bouncing a lot on the road. So my question is. What holds the bumper on and where do I look to see what has come adrift. All looks 'normal' to my untrained eye. I foun on thingy. Looks like a nut without a thread of a slot on the top. One of those push in type of fixtures. Surely the bumpers not held on by those things. Is it?

bruce