Stock 01 Classic shock p/numbers - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2018
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
Wooders (Dave) has them on ebay for about $100 a pair. He is a member of AJOR. if you went & saw him at his workshop, you would probably get a discount for cash & a $100 worth of good advice thrown in.
Yep, I'm already onto it. Depends on what brand he's got, will see soon enough.
I'm not wedded to the Mopar oems; if there's another brand that does the same job, great. I just don't know what brand does. Crown markets itself as an oem supplier of sorts, in my reading. Kind-of like Rare Spares? I don't know.
Old 07-06-2018
I just registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishW96 View Post
Valving will be way stiffer. And knowing say a tough dog product it's gonna be real brash and bouncy unladen...
Yep. That ^.

Look I'm sure they would come into their own with gear in/on the Jeep, but this is a stock XJ and is likely to remain so for a while. It will also spend a lot of its time unladen. So I'd probably keep the Tough Dogs in case I find a cheap steel ARB bar, get a long-range tank, start to tow a van again etc (but by then I would be looking at a suspension lift I reckon and I'm not sure if the Tough Dogs would suit. That's a question for another day!).

Anyway for now they have be replaced. With these shocks, it's like driving down a rough dirt road in my old XJ - but on fairly smooth tarmac!
Old 07-06-2018
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,550 Times in 4,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJClassic View Post
Yep, I'm already onto it. Depends on what brand he's got, will see soon enough.
I'm not wedded to the Mopar oems; if there's another brand that does the same job, great. I just don't know what brand does. Crown markets itself as an oem supplier of sorts, in my reading. Kind-of like Rare Spares? I don't know.
Yes Crown are a bit like Triton from superjunk. JungleJuice did a lot of playing around with shocks on his XJ. Would be worth a look see there. Have you measured your suspension height? ~ The distance from the wheel center to the underside of the flair? That would tell you how your springs are & if any lift is fitted. IIRC the up country option was available on the classic. It gave a 1" lift ex the factory. If your springs are good, you may wish to look for a set of JK (I think) standard shocks. You can get very good second hand ones for next to nix.
Old 07-06-2018
I just registered

Quote:
Yes Crown are a bit like Triton from superjunk. JungleJuice did a lot of playing around with shocks on his XJ. Would be worth a look see there. Have you measured your suspension height? ~ The distance from the wheel center to the underside of the flair? That would tell you how your springs are & if any lift is fitted. IIRC the up country option was available on the classic. It gave a 1" lift ex the factory. If your springs are good, you may wish to look for a set of JK (I think) standard shocks. You can get very good second hand ones for next to nix.
The build sheet shows it has "SDB SUSPENSION - HEAVY DUTY". Also have spring codes (eg -"ZGJ SPRING - LEFT FRONT") but when I look them up it doesn't really make it clear if it's the 1in lift Up Country suspension.

When I measured it (from centre of wheel to lower lip of flare), it's 450mm front and 420mm rear. From a net search that seems about stock ride height. Does that sound right?
Old 07-06-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

Quote:
Have you measured your suspension height? ~ The distance from the wheel center to the underside of the flair? That would tell you how your springs are & if any lift is fitted. IIRC the up country option was available on the classic. It gave a 1" lift ex the factory. If your springs are good, you may wish to look for a set of JK (I think) standard shocks. You can get very good second hand ones for next to nix.
with badly sagged OEM leafs, my Sports wallowed like a whale.

after swapping 2" lift leaf pack, rear end handling is a great deal better

I measured both shock sets I had, both aftermarket, across mideye centre

13"-22" and 13"-23"

I fitted the longer ones (Old Man Emu)..(and noted rear rubber brake line is at full stretch)

am even gonna (heretic) chuck in the rear swaybar that was in my White one, so I can test its influence, especially cornering hard in wet

If I prefer it, will examine a way to make it able to be quick disconnect

my XJ spends most of its time on road, or light to medium off-road
Old 07-06-2018
I just registered

Well I found something interesting with build sheets.
When I bought this blue Classic, I tried to get a free build sheet from FCA. No dice, it didn't seem to recognise the VIN. So I bought one from compnine.com, $5 for 3(?) VIN searches.

Then I remembered that I still have the VIN for my old black Classic, so I looked up its build sheet.

The cars were built 15 days apart in Aug/Sep 2000, both 2001 model year. The old black Classic DID have "AWE UP COUNTRY SUSPENSION GROUP" but this was not mentioned with the new blue car.

When I looked at suspension, the black car had "SDU SUSPENSION - HEAVY DUTY W/GAS SHOCKS" while the new blue one is just "SDB SUSPENSION - HEAVY DUTY". Spring codes are different too.

Well that was all fun and interesting but it still doesn't tell me what shocks to buy! At least it would seem that I do not have Up Country suspension, so probably best not to get the JK shocks as the front ones would be too tall w/out longer bump stops.
Old 07-06-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJClassic View Post
Well that was all fun and interesting but it still doesn't tell me what shocks to buy! At least it would seem that I do not have Up Country suspension, so probably best not to get the JK shocks as the front ones would be too tall w/out longer bump stops.
know it sounds cheap-ass, but maybe you could pick up some XJ stockers in the wanted or for sale section?,,, there must be heaps laying around from guys that have lifted theirs, same as JKs I guess

bought a good pair 2" front lift ones for $10each...tell them they gotta not be worn out....we r good guys on here lol

I would check the front bumpstops are actually intact!

mine x 4 fronts all useless or missing, as I will soon be swapping front springs, will replace the OEM front stops, and work out any extra needed, for front & rear am estimating 1" for a 2" lift & 30-31" tyres

* edit..for those who may know, it would be informative to know the fully compressed and extended length of "stock" shock absorbers??, ok I will google it

hmm, interesting info,,,seems like mine were "lift shocks"..no wonder the 23" one the rear rubber brake line was at its max on full droop!
...and mine were 13.5" compressed, not 13", as I stated earlier

https://bilsteinlifts.com/shop/jeep/...r-lift-shocks/

Last edited by awg; 07-06-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply