What did you do to your XJ today? 1M Views - Page 2641 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-11-2018
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

Went Drone flying drove out the bush to local moto cross track had a great fly got stuck in a tree finally got it out but great fun cheap syma x25pro drone only 1 mp camera but still fun filming your adventures

_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 15-11-2018
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,545 Times in 4,339 Posts

Driving home on rhe highway about 100km from home in the XJ diesel & there is a chirping squeal, next no power steering & the alt not doing anything. Took the next exit & stopped under a tree. Serp belt no where to be seen, dug the old one out from under the back seat. The water pump is leaking & has a lot of free play in the bearing. Put the old spare belt on & it runs with a lot of noise. Back on the highway 5km later temp is up a bit so pull up & check. Water pump pulley is misaligned because of bearing failure & part of belt is off pulley. Filled with water & kept going. Got home as it started to get warm again, 4 ribs missing from belt but it is still working. Will replace water pump & belt in the morning. The XJ always manages to limp home, have never had to tow or flat bed home.
340,000km on original water pump, cant complain about that!

Last edited by layback40; 16-11-2018 at 07:40 AM.
Old 26-11-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 184 Times in 117 Posts

What a forgiving car....

Even in the middle of bugger all, it is the kind of car that a cluey owner or road service mechanic can patch up and put back on the road.

These things just don't know how to go into limp mode. It is why I prefer it on long outback drives where your only company is the odd passing UFO.

[I once used chicken wire (don't ask me why I had it in the back of an old Ford) to keep the engine fan turning for 100km so that the thing did not overheat. This kind of thing is only possible with older cars, or an XJ Cherokee]

Before reading this, I had been thinking of buying a spare water pump/gasket. The car still has the original water pump - since June 1995. Given there is no sign of trouble, I won't do what some other owners have done as preventative maintenance (i.e. to replace a perfectly working OEM waterpump with an aftermarket one). They have regretted changing because the new part does not measure up to the endurance and performance of the original. If it aint broke....

Last edited by eksjay; 26-11-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 27-11-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 86 Times in 64 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I did a $25 pod and elbow off eBay. I preserved all the vacuum lines with a step bit to the elbow, and wiring grommet around the hose. I also replace the rear ccv grommet and elbow as it was clogged. I need to remove my valve cover at some stage as well but not till I get another gasket, which I need to do.

My XJ needs heaps of bits and pieces. A new coil (mines cracked) new lower rad hose, one uni for the double cardan shaft, rear engine welch plugs and rms + sump gasket. All small stuff but really don't wanna do the rear Welch plugs
Old 02-12-2018
Full Flexer

She did garage duty this weekend. Her stablemate, the JKU, did a 200 km round trip to shake off the COB webs.
Old 09-12-2018
Full Flexer

This weekend, she took the troops camping, carrying an Oztent on the rack and everything else needed to sustain life and make it pleasant for a couple of days.

On the return, she got pampered with Turtle Wax durable wash.... As good a new... Ready for domestic civilian duties... Would never know she left the blacktop.
Old 11-12-2018
AJOR Bronze

Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

I Bought a Drone!............WTF! has a Drone got to do with this thread? We live in the Outback and are down the bush most days exercising the dog we take pictures but we really want video of him roo chasing now I am disabled and cant follow the dog with a camera Over the last couple of months I bought some cheap drones to see if I could FLY..........
I found I could but the cameras on the cheap drones were crap good fliers alt hold gps lock but crap cameras serious drones are big pensioner $$$$$$$$$ I won a auction on ebay waited till the last 2 mins then struck got a DJI Phantom 3 with extra battery long range gear after testing everything and getting a bracket to use a tablet it was time to fly the Windmill at the 4 mile tried this once before with a cheap non gps drone bad ending was blown over the other side of the river ..........
Mode of Transport 1996 XJ Jeep Cherokee Limited
Drones and Camping Adventures Pack one in the Jeep
Anyway enough bullshit I This is yesterdays test flight and some post production last night I would like to share with you ....... Learning to Fly
https://youtu.be/0c_0ZNmXBcI
Post New Thread  Reply