Tyre and wheel upgrade - Jeep factory swaybar contact? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2017

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Tyre and wheel upgrade - Jeep factory swaybar contact?

Hi all,

I plan to install Pro Comp Rockwell series 34 wheels/rims and either Toyo Open Country AT2 or BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 (285/70R/17) on my 2010 Jeep Wrangler.

Do you believe with this setup the tyre would come into contact/rub on the factory Jeep swaybar?

If so, what can be done to mitigate this possible issue (other than a lift kit/suspension upgrade, which next on my upgrade list)?

Cheers.
Old 04-10-2017
I just registered

Liked 49 Times in 45 Posts

Wheel well clearance will be fine however...
dependent on your states laws your car may be unroadworthy due to extending the track by around 90mm a lot of states have a maximum 50mm track increase some 25 I believe.

Also most states require you to have the tyres covered so you would likely need to extend all flares by 2".

Roadworthiness is not just a drama with geting pulled over by police. A vehicle that is not roadworthy at the commencement of your journey will likely void any insurance you have so you could be in quite a pickle financially if your involved in an accident (regardless of fault, or type of coverage).

Also track extensions will increase bearing and suspension wear and if pushed hard off road without upgrades significantly increase your chance of bending an axle or diff especially when running significantly heavier LT tyres.
Old 04-10-2017

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzRick25 View Post
Wheel well clearance will be fine however...
dependent on your states laws your car may be unroadworthy due to extending the track by around 90mm a lot of states have a maximum 50mm track increase some 25 I believe.

Also most states require you to have the tyres covered so you would likely need to extend all flares by 2".

Roadworthiness is not just a drama with geting pulled over by police. A vehicle that is not roadworthy at the commencement of your journey will likely void any insurance you have so you could be in quite a pickle financially if your involved in an accident (regardless of fault, or type of coverage).

Also track extensions will increase bearing and suspension wear and if pushed hard off road without upgrades significantly increase your chance of bending an axle or diff especially when running significantly heavier LT tyres.
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the reply.

From the stock tyres (245) to the planned tyres (285), the extended tyre track would be 40mm.

I forgot to mention in my original post that I plan to also install Rugged Ridge Hurrican flares, which are an inch wider than stock flares.

Until I upgrade the suspension I won't be doing any serious off road driving.
Old 05-10-2017
I just registered

tyre width does not effect the vehicles track.
The track is a function of axle width and wheel centers (and therefore wheel offset).

You would go from +45 to 0 offset with those wheels therefore 90mm track increase.

If your going an inch wider flares and considering the stock fender clearance is about 20mm your new fender clearance would be 45mm on your stock setup and near flush on those wheels with a 255. But if you put a 285 on they will stick out 15mm. Therefore recommend a 2" flare extension from stock for those wheels and 285 tyres (which I don't recommend because the will likely be illegal because of the track increase).

look for wheels with +25 to +30 offset they would work a lot better with a 1 inch flare extension and 285s and more likely to stay within your track increase laws but you should read those yourself.

If you have a D30 in the front and go with the 0 offset wheels I would look at strengthening or replacing the front axle before suspension upgrades (other than ball and uni replacement).

285's will fit the stock wheels and by packing the steering bumpstops with a washer not scrub your sway bar.

Last edited by OzRick25; 05-10-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-10-2017
AJOR Gold

Liked 194 Times in 122 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I run 285/70R17 on stock wheels and only get the occasional polishing of the swaybar disconnect at full flex and steering lock at lower pressures. The tyres stay inside the stock flares even with a 2” lift. Track width increased 40mm total (20 per side) within allowable limits as I understand them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-10-2017
I just registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTRubicon View Post
I run 285/70R17 on stock wheels and only get the occasional polishing of the swaybar disconnect at full flex and steering lock at lower pressures. The tyres stay inside the stock flares even with a 2” lift. Track width increased 40mm total (20 per side) within allowable limits as I understand them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yep sound advice however I think you will find there is no track increase. Track is measured at the center of the respective tire not the extremities or interiors therefor it does not change with tires it does change with wheels, spacers, diffs and axles.

Yes your vehicles footprint is 40mm wider at the extremities but it is also 40mm on the inner side therefore no track increase.
Old 05-10-2017
SwampDigger

Liked 540 Times in 399 Posts

I also have 285/70 on stock rims & they only just polish the curve of the front swaybar at full lock when flexed & disconnected. No touching on road.

What OzRick25 said about the track, that is based on the center of the wheel. So a wider tyre doesn't change anything there, only changing to different offset rims. And 285/70 is inside the stock flares for me as well.