Mopar KK Lift Kit - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KK Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-07-2011
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been told that raising a KK more than 2-3" creates some problems. Not sure if this is true or not. Is your friend's KK a Sport or Limited? If a Limited, with 18" rims, the tyre options are terribly limited. Some folk seem to have managed to purchase General Grabber AT2s (255/55s or 255/60s) or Pirelli Scorpion ATRs (if you can find them in stock) for their 18" rims. But, they're all unbelievably expensive. Hopefully, they've got a Sport with the 16" rims - plenty more options there. There's a few other threads on this forum with decent advice on tyre options.

But what I really want to know is how they found their Mopar lift kit. Noone else seems to want to talk about them at the moment.
Old 30-07-2011
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They have the Limited .... It looks good with the lift but it needs bigger boots .... It seems ok on the dirt roads , I've had a drive & it feels quite good .. That said I think I need to teach them a bit about how to approach things , my mates wife is a bit of a looney behind the wheel , she thinks out right speed will get u through any thing .... I'd say it will follow us on the easier trails with bigger tyres , but they are nota true 4wd in my eyes , theyve had nothing but troubles withthe push button transfer etc , it gets locked into low range and won't release , it's only 6 weeks old and has some awesome trail scars already , once again his wife's ambitions far out weight the drivers and vehicles ability ...
Old 30-07-2011
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

Well I feel oblidged to respond now. First of all I am still very happy with my lift kit. Had it checked over by the jeep dealer who installed it and no problems.

Then to the bigger tyre issue. I have the limited and have a second set of wheels 16inch with mud tyres and very happy with those as well (225/75/16 cooper stt).

I am not a hardcore 4wheel driver (i drive a KK!! Haha) and all my offroad trips so far have been in the company of fellow jeepers with loads of experience. The first thing I did was attend a training session which thought me the limitations of the vehicle (and driver!) and e.g. that speed is not always the right option. The first few times i had my jeep on the tracks it was stock. No lift, 18 inch wheels and highway tyres. I was in the company of (among others) JKs. The trip leader was very well aware of the limitations of my KK and hence some tracks were given a miss because of that. Other times I had to drive different lines to the BIG JK in front of me, or be guided carefully through more difficult parts, or take the chicken track. The first time I properly bottomed out was with lift kit and muddies and guess what, it was driver error!

Conclusion of this for me is, if you want to tackle harder tracks, the KK would not be your first choice. Yes we can lift the KK, yes we can put (slightly) bigger tyres on it, but that does not make it a JK.

I have not regretted the Mopar lift kit for a second, drive it to work every day in comfort (the heated leather seats are nice this time of the year) and in the weekend I can take it bush to have a play! See you next weekend Tasar!
Old 30-07-2011
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That was my thought and advice , but they wanted the KK ... Heated seats are wasted in Cairns , but a soft top is awesome !!!! That said will older model Cherokee factory wheels fit on their KK ? My mate has a wreaking yard that has a few older jeeps , we mite be able to get these cheap and fit them with muddies for them ... Minimum of 16" is right ?
Old 30-07-2011
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes, the steel rims I have are from a KJ. From the american forums i understood that 15" rims dont fit. Looking for 2steel KJ rims myself.
Old 31-07-2011
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the help .... Hopefully I can get them out and about to a few mote places with bigger tyres and bit more driving advise ....
Old 31-07-2011
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mr T., very pleased to hear you've not had any issues with the Mopar lift kit. I agree the ride is much better than before, especially on cornering. Hopefully, I'm the only one who has had a couple of issues.

Re the seat warmers, they're not much use in Darwin, but then my son seems to like them on the way to school on a chilly 17 degree morning!

Happy weekend 4WD'ing.
Post New Thread  Reply