Grand Willys Project - Page 176 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-07-2016
LokRinger

Liked 1,754 Times in 556 Posts

Won't go into too much detail on the other side, but will show what I was up against and anything that I did differently.

[img]willyshotrod.com/Willys858.jpg[/img]
Repairs starting on the opposite side door now. The whole bottom of the door below the ridges will be cut off and replaced.

The front part of the door looks better on the outside, but way worse on the inside.

The return back to the door skin is completely gone. Front and rear of this door will be cut off and made new.

Outside skin tacked up ready for welding.

Welded and hand planished.

Was fortunate to be invited to the workshop of Peter Tommasini and he showed me a few tricks on how he bends the piece I folded up for the bottom of the door frame. Placed it in the English Wheel with little pressure and pulled down on it while pulling it through.

He is checking the outcome.

A little adjustment over a tyre and done.

I used the same technique for the inside frame part as it is curved, so had to make sure it matched the profile of the door sill. Can see the new drain I put in as well.

Inner frame work welded in and outer skin flange folded over by hammering and backed up with a dolly.

Back part of the door all repaired and added. Made the door to match the other side exactly and will make the door opening to suit it.

Inside I have all the beads etc lining up as well

It pulled a bit straighter than I wanted after welding and folding the skin over. So just supported the door on the outside edges and hammered down along the end to get the curve back. Worked fine.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club

Last edited by Gojeep; 14-08-2017 at 03:30 AM.
Old 17-07-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Such amazing work mate. I can't believe your workmanship (and patience). In terms of man hours what do you think you have put into it to get it to this stage?

Keep up the awesome work mate! My favourite build on the Internet!
Old 18-07-2016
LokRinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbloke2 View Post
Such amazing work mate. I can't believe your workmanship (and patience). In terms of man hours what do you think you have put into it to get it to this stage?

Keep up the awesome work mate! My favourite build on the Internet!
Hate to think how many hours I have into it as been working on it for over 5 years now. Never looked at my labour as a cost in the build as just using it as a big learning tool. If I am going to be practising, might as well get something useful out of it at the end.

My web site:
Old 23-07-2016
Yeah I bought another one

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 93 Times in 58 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Peters work is incredible and a very friendly bloke. I do some work occasionally 2 doors down from him, always something new to show off when I stick my head in.
How many more years do you think you have on this epic build?
1x Jeep trailers.
1x Empty Wallet.
Old 23-07-2016
LokRinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gildo View Post
Peters work is incredible and a very friendly bloke. I do some work occasionally 2 doors down from him, always something new to show off when I stick my head in.
How many more years do you think you have on this epic build?
Always guessed it would take 10 years all up, so halfway through at the moment.

My web site:
Old 23-07-2016
LokRinger

Not much to add this time as no different to the other side. I was left wondering though why the B pillar to door gap was different one side to the other at the top, but not at the bottom? Checked the rear wall for level and both sides were still spot on. It was only when I measured the width of the B pillars that one of the 4 had been pressed 3mm-1/8" narrower at the top only by the factory! So hammered the fold back across to where it should be to match the others and everything then fitted perfectly.

Working on extending the body work up to the wider door on the other side now. I tucked the panel in behind the the original B pillar with a line drawn with a marker where the cut will be. Then run my scriber down it to get an accurate easy to see line. With the darker winter days it is needed at the moment!

The extension piece was cut and tig welded into place. Having already made the custom dollies/spoons to go between the pillar and the body work, this side went a lot quicker.

Good news is that next update should be on the upper cab for the first time.

My web site:

Last edited by Gojeep; 14-08-2017 at 03:34 AM.
Old 25-07-2016
AJOR Gold

Liked 44 Times in 37 Posts

Great attention to detail as always, inspiring stuff. One question I have is regards to seatbelt anchor point on B pillar, I am working on a "52 ute ATM and looking at the B pillar trying to work out how to go about mounting three point seatbelt anchor point with mounting plate in the B pillar some how. As a complete amateur at this sort of stuff it is a bit of a head scratcher for me.
Regards Ross