JK diesel on LPG - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-01-2009
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
ys mate i know how diese/gas works. but the post was about a converting a diesel engine to run totally on gas. to do this diesel engine would have to have the compression ratio dropped by crankshaft change or by a spacer in the head gasket area. it would then have to have valve timing changed with probably new camshafts. then the head would need to drilled at each cylinder to allow the fitting of spark plugs. and finally the entire electonics and electrics of the engine need to be changed to suit the new petrol conversion. oh yes and a change of injectors to petrol injectors. then when you have the thing running on petrol, you can start doing the gas conversion. it has been done, but only on a very few trucks that wanted the gas conversion done. but it really is a wierd expensive way to save a few bucks on fuel. definitely not for the general public to take on. you would never ever recoup the cost of the conversion. and like some one on the thread said, try going bush and finding a guarenteed supply of gas. diesel is always available anywhere.
Sorry my mistake.

The company in question only does large trucking fleets. To make a profit from the incredible amount of work, they have to supply all your LPG and take over all your maintance. All they guarentee is an "up to" 10% savings which really is quite pathetic

Forget the general public. They don't do personal vehicles. Even huge trucking fleets they'll have trouble making a profit.

Thorne
Old 20-01-2009
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thorne when i first saw the post on here about a total diesel conversion i couldn't believe you could do it without spark plugs, so i rang diesel gas here in perth. the bloke there explained the whole story, including the truck conversion. i was hping they found a way to use the glow plugs as a substirute spark plug or something, and was really disappointed when it was all explained. a true dual fuel diesel/gas would have been great. but as it stands the diesel gas mix used now is apparently only used for the purpose of a power booster. other than that , the diesl tank will extend the range slightly and the use of cheaper gas may make fuel bill slightly less, but is not of much use to most of us, who have an adequately powered car in stock condition. pity, i got excited for a while there.
Old 20-01-2009
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgp View Post
Dieselgas will void warranty on a $30,000.00
engine.
That maths does not add up.
Legally you are wrong. They cannot void your warranty unless they can show the damage was caused by the gas system.

Warranty is no different to insurance. The insurer will try to use any excuse as not to pay out but when push comes to shove, if they cannot prove it they still have to honor their warranty.

There is a big difference between what they tell you and what your rights are.

I can't find Chrysler but here's Holden's

Aftermarket parts and accessories may be fitted to your vehicle and this will not void your New Vehicle Warranty. However, Holden's warranty will not cover repairs to your vehicle should the problem be attributed to the installation of the aftermarket component

Also found this

I'm buying a new car and the dealer says that adding aftermarket parts will void the warranty. Is that true?

It is not legal for any dealer to void a vehicle warranty because an aftermarket product has been installed. The only exception to this is if the dealer can prove that the aftermarket product was the cause of a warranty failure. It is also not legal for the dealer to void the warranty if an aftermarket product is chosen over its factory equivalent. As an example, a dealer may not legally decline a warranty claim for a faulty transmission because an aftermarket bedliner or rear wing was installed on the vehicle. Further, the dealer cannot claim that the use of the factory equivalent is mandatory. Aftermarket products give consumers freedom of choice. With most aftermarket products, you do not sacrifice quality to get that choice. There is no substitute for good consumer research, but dealers cannot restrain consumer choice based on this argument.

Thorne
Old 20-01-2009
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
thorne when i first saw the post on here about a total diesel conversion i couldn't believe you could do it without spark plugs, so i rang diesel gas here in perth. the bloke there explained the whole story, including the truck conversion. i was hping they found a way to use the glow plugs as a substirute spark plug or something, and was really disappointed when it was all explained. a true dual fuel diesel/gas would have been great. but as it stands the diesel gas mix used now is apparently only used for the purpose of a power booster. other than that , the diesl tank will extend the range slightly and the use of cheaper gas may make fuel bill slightly less, but is not of much use to most of us, who have an adequately powered car in stock condition. pity, i got excited for a while there.
There is no way of making a swappable diesel lpg system. The way a diesel engine runs is different to an LPG engine. One uses a spark and the other compression.

This system means you run on LPG all the time and can no longer use diesel.

A standard dieselgas system doesn't stop you from using diesel.

Dieselgas extends your fuel by roughly a third and should reduce your fuel costs by about 15-18% (unless your a leadfoot). You usually get a 20% to 30% increase in power too.

Thorne

Last edited by thorne; 20-01-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 20-01-2009
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

as well as the mods steve you are probably also regarded as a trouble maker by the chrysler service manager. just guessing but i think there is a possibility you have been given the boot on warranty technicalities because you stood up to them and complained loudly on this forum. just a guess. petty beaurocrats don't like people who argue. they feel their authority is being threatened.
Old 20-01-2009
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Sorry but I will have to disagree, but have no energy to argue. Our experiences recorded here in these forums for the last 6 months along with 17 letters to and from aftermarket suppliers, correspondence with MTA WA, consumer affairs, two different solicitors and an independent Mechanical Engineer as late as to-day has proved the Vehicle manufactourer can and will use the clause in their warranty document that states clearly they will not be responsable for faults caused by accessories or aftermarket parts being used. they just have to refuse to repair it because of the modification and it is up to the consumer to prove the mod did not cause the damage which is in some cases a very expensive and long task and in our case after proving the factory fault an offer of only 1/3 of the cost to repair was made and refused and we got not one cent.

I wouldn't wish the crap we have been put through on anyone. The cost to us todate, $2310.00 for repairs, $500 for first solicitor. $150.00 for second solicitor, $12.00 in postage and six months of frustration and being told we are whimps by some on this forum and we are whingers by others on this forum.

As I said , no energy to argue any more.

Good luck with modding your Jeep, I just hope you dont have cause to beg Jeep to fix anything after youve modded.

Steve M.
The problem with a claim of $2300 is that it's really too small to fight. The second you look at going to court it will cost you more than that.

The problem is Jeep know it too. A $30,000 engine is a different kettle of fish.

The only upside with a mod like a gas system or a DP chip is the company who supplied the product has an interest in protecting their name. Jeep won't put anything in writing blaming the chip or the gas unless they can prove it. If they can't prove it they won't say anything because it's defamation but if they can't blame the mod and can't prove the damage then Fair Trading will eat them for breakfast.

All the vehicle manafacturers' warranty departments are profit maximising bastards.

Thorne
Old 21-01-2009
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
In our case they blamed all the mods as contributing which was a clever ploy. When asked, they would not indicate one mod was the problem because I told them Warn or ARB or Bestop or Safari would be interested in hearing what they had to say. They would never put anything in writing and just simply said come and pick up you vehicle with bent front axles tubes and no oil in the diff as we are not going to fix it under warranty and we are not even interested in giving you a quote to fix it because it is to heavilly modified and it will bend again under the strain of the mods.

Consumer affairs said its a clever way of doing it because of the wording of the warranty and refered us to the lawyers who took money of us and then said they possibly will not win.

In the end we proved there was a factory fault, they agreed and offered us a few hundred dollars to go away, we refused to take less than what it costs to fix so we got nothing.

I am not sure how saving $2300.00 is makeing a profit. I have been directly involved in cancelling two sales of Chrysler products (one had contracts in place and it was tough to get out of it but we did) and I have helped sway another two people away from Jeeps, one of them on another forum has been very vocal to his dealer about why and they (his dealer) have made contact with me (very rude contact)
So are we even yet? I dont think so, I love telling whoever wants to know how Jeep treat its customers and each time they refuse to look at the problems with my Jeep (the latest is trying to blame a blown turbo hose on a snorkle and exhaust mod) the more amo they give me to turn people away from their products the easier it is.
Park it out the front of the dealership with a big yellow sticker saying "My Jeep is a lemon" and watch the bastards squirm.

Thorne
Post New Thread  Reply