CRD Thermostat - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-04-2017
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default CRD Thermostat

Hey all, got a couple of Q's about the CRD thermostat. I've read heaps on the www but I haven't found answers to my Q's. I have a 2006 KJ if that helps with the info.

Pretty sure my thermostat is stuck open as on the drive to work (30kms at ~60kph, no lights but a few roundybouts) the temp gauge only gets to 1/4 and sometimes not even. It has been 20degC or slightly less in the mornings here lately but same thing on the way home, no more than 1/4 on the gauge.
Is this kinda normal for the CRD (doesn't warm up quickly) or do you think it should have warmed up in this distance with this kind of driving (easy doodling along at 60kph)?

I'm pretty satisfied the temp gauge and cooling system work as they should cause during a hot day early this year (39degC) I run the KJ up the biggest hill we have around here with the AC going gang busters and it never went above 1/2. Did it again today (only got to 31 today) and same again - 1 notch below the 1/2 mark.

I've done a bit of searching around for thermostats and prices and found a lot of info.
Dealer wants $670 (and then ~$300 to fit it)
The Hot Diesel Solutions model 001 from the states is ~$745. Interesting to note that a replacement thermostat for this setup is ~$60-70
Lots of stuff on evilbay ranging from around $200 and up
Chrysler/Mopar parts stores in the US want ~$250-500 depending on which store is used.
Couldn't find any Australian suppliers (apart from the dealer), does anyone know any or is it better to use a Chrysler/Mopar store from the states?

Could always get a 2nd hand thermostat from a wrecker and mod it like this info on Lost but given I'd have to get someone else to do the machining work, I'm not sure the overall cost would be greatly less than a new OEM thermostat from the states. Replacing a failed T-stat in this would be cheaper no doubt about it.
Has anyone done it and can make comment/thoughts

Last edited by dhula; 02-04-2017 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-04-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Your thermostat is definitely defective. You should be up to temp in about 3 miles. I've had my 2005 for 105k miles, and I'm on my 3rd thermostat. I've always replaced with Mopar.

The Hot Diesel model I've heard from a friend in the US who fitted one is excellent - if anything its over-engineered! It depends how often you think you'll need to replace it. I gather that the HD unit allows you to run at a higher temp which is apparently more efficient, but I'm really not that knowledgeable on the subject.

You might try idparts or Sasquatch for a replacement if you go stock.
Old 03-04-2017
Established Member

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhula View Post
Hey all, got a couple of Q's about the CRD thermostat. I've read heaps on the www but I haven't found answers to my Q's. I have a 2006 KJ if that helps with the info.

Pretty sure my thermostat is stuck open as on the drive to work (30kms at ~60kph, no lights but a few roundybouts) the temp gauge only gets to 1/4 and sometimes not even. It has been 20degC or slightly less in the mornings here lately but same thing on the way home, no more than 1/4 on the gauge.
Is this kinda normal for the CRD (doesn't warm up quickly) or do you think it should have warmed up in this distance with this kind of driving (easy doodling along at 60kph)?

I'm pretty satisfied the temp gauge and cooling system work as they should cause during a hot day early this year (39degC) I run the KJ up the biggest hill we have around here with the AC going gang busters and it never went above 1/2. Did it again today (only got to 31 today) and same again - 1 notch below the 1/2 mark.

I've done a bit of searching around for thermostats and prices and found a lot of info.
Dealer wants $670 (and then ~$300 to fit it)
The Hot Diesel Solutions model 001 from the states is ~$745. Interesting to note that a replacement thermostat for this setup is ~$60-70
Lots of stuff on evilbay ranging from around $200 and up
Chrysler/Mopar parts stores in the US want ~$250-500 depending on which store is used.
Couldn't find any Australian suppliers (apart from the dealer), does anyone know any or is it better to use a Chrysler/Mopar store from the states?

Could always get a 2nd hand thermostat from a wrecker and mod it like this info on Lost but given I'd have to get someone else to do the machining work, I'm not sure the overall cost would be greatly less than a new OEM thermostat from the states. Replacing a failed T-stat in this would be cheaper no doubt about it.
Has anyone done it and can make comment/thoughts
Yes your thermostat is gone for sure.
My CRD heats up within 6km of driving around 60km/h. The gauge comes to a halt at 1mm before 1/2 way and stays there regardless of driving.
I bought mine from the UK and it cost me including shipping AUD$256.00.
Do not buy a crown thermostat either as they are crap. Just have a look on ebay and i am sure you will find one that doesn't cost the world.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Thermosta...IAAOSwax5YuWkH
Installation is easy too and youtube is your friend on that
Old 04-04-2017
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default subject

As the other guys have said...your thermo is stuffed. Happened to me and I fitted a new one...back then it cost me about $120. The temp guage needle went back to where it should be within 8 - 10 kms.

The biggest surprise came with the fuel economy....I had got used to using around 13-14litres per 100 kms...it dropped down to 8.5! It seems that a cold diesel (especially a CRD) is a thirsty bitch.

The money you spend replacing the thermo will be regained at the fuel pump.

It's a real simple job to replace...took me less than an hour.

Old 04-04-2017
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks for the info everyone, confirmed what I thought.
I'm still torn which place to go through to get a new thermostat but probably going to go with one of the Mopar/Chrysler places in the US.

For future reference when someone read this thread sometime in the furture, the one linked by Tom&Phet above is
Quote:
not the oem part but very very smiliar qaulity to the oem
as are quite a few I've found on evilbay. One seller responded to my queries with a
Quote:
It's either from the same place that makes them for Jeep or from Crown, which ever one gets here first
Not making comment on the parts begin sold by these guys just wanting to share the info I've received and found during my searching

I'm wanting to put a temp gauge of some sort in the KJ (I have a VDO gauge and sender in the shed) so will have to look around and see how people are mounting the gauge in the cabin and where they put the sender.
More tinkering

Last edited by dhula; 07-04-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-04-2017
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbazz View Post
The biggest surprise came with the fuel economy....I had got used to using around 13-14litres per 100 kms...it dropped down to 8.5! It seems that a cold diesel (especially a CRD) is a thirsty bitch.
Fuel economy isn't worrying me at the moment despite the stuffed t-stat.
I've been averaging mid 11's (worst was 11.8/100kms I think) since I brought the KJ and the most recent was 9.6/100kms when I filled up on the weekend (after I changed the airbox lower to a 3.7V6 one).
Looked at the readout in the roof thingy just now and it says 8.6/100kms so I'm hopefull it's even better the next fill

Last edited by dhula; 05-04-2017 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-04-2017
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default subject

Fuel economy isn't top of my hate list either, but the way prices go up and down over here, it's nice to know the truck isn't causing the pain in the hip pocket.

Dunno what you guys are paying right now, but we are enjoying a low price at the moment. It normally varies between $1.99 and $3.00 per litre these days.When I first arrived, 11 years ago, diesel was fairly steady at about 75 cents. Glad I don't own a petrol vehicle...ULP is always much dearer than diesel.
Post New Thread  Reply