I Just Got Given A XJ...What am I Going To Do NOW! - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-01-2018
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts
Default I Just Got Given A XJ...What am I Going To Do NOW!

Yes you read right I was just given a 99 XJ Sport................
Lets go back to the start around 18 months ago the father in law had the Red 99 XJ Sport I did the suspension Brakes cooling system he did the headliner and Air-Cond it was running beautiful but he decided to sell it as the mother in law couldn't get up into it.......
I told the CARKILLER about it and he bought it for $3800.............
That was 9 months ago.....He has flogged it and near broken it

Luckily it started developing sensor issues and has been off the road for a few weeks here and there waiting on parts...... as a consequence I have been doing all the work on it I got him to change every sensor on it we put new leads and dizzy rotor he put 3 new tyres on it it has had 4 fuel pumps in and out in the last 12 months I don't know what went on there the local mechanics just seemed to stuff up every fuel pump fitted...??? and now he tells me it has developed a rear engine main seal leak and was quoted $2000 and the tranny leak at the tailshaft I wont realy know until I get it in the next few days I will degrease it and look for the leaks and work out what I want to do.

As it is a 99 sport and mine is a 96 limited there are a lot of parts that don't fit if I was to wreck it

So the mechanics tell He Says? $2000 to fix the gearbox comes out I just looked on youtube bleepin jeep the sump comes off to fix and more than that I have all the seals and gaskets I just bought a engine gasket seal kit for the 4 litre as I want to do the head on my 96

So it still has 4 months rego but as a pensioner I cant afford 3 car and a trailer rego I will cancel it not before a few cleaned up test drives Oh and the interior if FILTHY...... lot of cleaning there
So 2 XJs now ........

_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

Last edited by Jimmyb; 30-01-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 30-01-2018
Trail Twister

Liked 840 Times in 479 Posts

I love 98..99 updates.
Stick with it. Us XJ boys are a closed nit group here. let us know what you need and I'm sure many of us can help you out.
Old 31-01-2018
AJOR Bronze

Cheers Rusty..............
UPDATE!
Well the CARKILLER dropped the XJ off this morning I took him home and drove it for the first time there is a miss and the brakes are spongy They weren't like that 6 months ago it leaks out of the rear tranny seal where the tail shaft fits in bad leak not sure about the rear engine seal not dripping oil everywhere I think its the valve cover gasket as it has been bad for years will have to degrease and pressure wash to see where the leaks are coming from ............... The CARKILLER took the XJ out back of the dump for one last flogging and ended up ripping a gash in one of the new tyres drove home on a flat before changing the tyre so he could deliver it to me ..................
He left the rego on it for me good until May 1st at least I? can get a few test drives in before it gets unreg for a while
it took 3 baths to clean the interior still needs vents cleaned and carpets seats steam cleaned slowly getting the dirty greasy wreckers smell out
so filthy....and his house is just as bad
But its a lot cleaner now ..............................

_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

Old 01-02-2018
AJOR Bronze

Another day of cleaning in the 40 deg heat up here took ages to clean the glass as it was stained with muddy water stains baked on for 6 months ...... sprayed the interior with glen20 to try n get rid of the wreckers smell.......................
tomorrow I will wash underneath to see where the leaks are coming from after a quick look today I think it might be the tranny sump gasket another easy fix its almost if Walter P Chrysler is looking down on me .... LoL
So I will clean it up go around the block park on the concrete and see where the leaks come from .............
its parked on the concrete at the moment and I cant see any engine oil leaks ? just tranny fluid ? anyway more investigation needed
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

Old 03-02-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 86 Times in 64 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Clean the carpets and seats with interior cleaner (or carpet foam stuff) and a brush. Will get ridda that stench. I had to do this like 3-4 times with my XJ.
Old 03-02-2018
AJOR Bronze

Mamish I am going to break out the steam cleaner and do the interior it sat on the concrete I got underneath after running it for a bit and I wiped where the tranny fluid is coming from near the gearbox mount and waited for drips it seems to drip from the pan rear bolts which was off recently to replace the kick down cable hard to tell its so dirty underneath I will see if the pan bolts are tight in the next day or so I cut theses stupid brackets off the front bumper there was a shit useless bulbar there before the CARKILLER broke it just have to grind it back a bit drivers side step is broken I think I can fix the bracket the rear mud flaps are mangled and need to come off ..........
pass side tail light is broken and has been glued together using bits of broken tail light red bits from the dump looks like it has a disease
the electric fan is held in by wire .......needs fixing I don't know why as I changed that fan 6 months age and it was bolted in ?
the worm drive in the passenger window is stripped so the window don't go up or down its always been like that I guess this time I will finally get around to fixing it this time as its mine now .............................................
if I can fix the leaks its really only 4 tyres and a tail light away from a RWC
here's a pic taken a few months ago

_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

Old 04-02-2018
AJOR Bronze

As it now sits in my backyard

_____ooooo