Finally got a jeep! now where to go? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > LOCATIONS | EVENTS | TRIPS > Wheres the best spots to drive?
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2013

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Finally got a jeep! now where to go?

I'm pretty excited because tomorrow I am picking up my jeep ....

I know of a few places....but I'm just wondering what would be some fun places in perth for a fairly new 4x4 driver? Sand or bush I don't mind, just throw me some ideas please I will be taking it out on the weekend!

Thanks in advance
Old 10-11-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

I was on Tims Thicket beach yesterday in Mandurah. Good fun and a nice beach with plenty of other 4x4s for support if required. There is also a nice little bush track right behind the beach branching off from the beach entry/exit track. It's a 'no-scratches' track too. Drop your tyre pressure, it's a soft beach (that, and it's the right thing to do by mother nature). Enjoy!
Old 10-11-2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

awesome, that sounds really good thanks .....gives me a bit of sand and bush nice and close together.....I'll take note!
Old 10-11-2013
AJOR Gold

Liked 307 Times in 169 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Which model are you getting jaimirachael?

Wilbinga would be a good place to start - you can get access from Dame Pattie Drive in Two Rocks.
Some sections are very popular so be careful when the track gets windy and there are lots of blind corners. Also, keep off the beach - it can be very treacherous but there's plenty of hills/dunes/sand bowls to keep you entertained. Tracks go everywhere so you can get lost easily but you will always end up somewhere

Lancelin is great if you like sand dunes - lots of big open dunes - hard to get into trouble, but there is definitely a right way and a wrong way to drive sand dunes.
Again - stay off the beach. The beach at Lancelin can be VERY nasty at times.

Powerlines Track in Mundaring/Sawyers Valley is great - it's got everything from mild to wild.
Most people get on at Cole Rd and drive right through to West Talbot Road, but some people shorten the trip by getting on at Flynn Rd instead.
I've seen people get through the whole Powerlines track in 2wd but there are plenty of challenges along the way to test the most extreme 4wds as well.
There are chicken tracks at all the challenging parts.
Drive within your limits and don't take any water crossings for granted - there are normal looking 'puddles' at the Powerlines Track that will swallow your Jeep whole (whichever model you get ).

If you are new to 4wding in general it might pay to head out with a group and find out what is considered acceptable out on the trail.
Little things like having proper recovery points, snatch strap, shovel, air pressure gauge and compressor and taking your rubbish home will go a long way to how people will react to you.
If you want to head out with some other Jeepers, keep an eye on this (there are usually trips every month but we've been a bit slack lately

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...play.php?f=149

Last edited by wes; 10-11-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-11-2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks so much for all the info! I'm getting a 1997 tj wrangler . pretty lucky because it came with quite a few essentials - winch, snorkel, cv radio and the proper tyres. We ( me and my partner) plan on going with other groups also.

I've heard lancelin is great for the dunes, so I'm looking forward to checking that out ( and staying off the beach)

Maybe wilbinga would be a good idea for this weekend though! I do need to sort out an air compressor though.

Definitely keen on going on some trips with other jeep drivers at some point though, so Ill keep an eye on that
Old 11-11-2013
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 74 Times in 52 Posts

A compressor and basic recovery gear is a must mate, the compressor doesn't need to be expensive but the cheaper it is the longer it will take you to air up and even if you have a winch you'll still want a snatch strap, rated recovery points and shackles.
Old 11-11-2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I will definitely get one before going anywhere
Post New Thread  Reply