Fraser Island - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > LOCATIONS | EVENTS | TRIPS > Wheres the best spots to drive?
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2010
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Fraser Island

Hi guys,
An new to the forum and was hoping for some advice.....
I am heading up to fraser island for four days over the Australia day long weekend, and am after some advice before I book my camping etc. Only a few guys going, 1, possibly 2 vehichles, sight seeing being the second priority behind fishing. Would it be better to book into a campsite, and base ourselves from there and do Day trips orr to travel around the island a set up camp each night. Also wondering where the best fishing spots are up there....
Any info or other tips/advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys........
Old 08-01-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Fraser Island is fantastic. I am not so keen on the fishing but i would imagine most Anglers pick one of the camping areas near where they intend to fish. This seems to be more prevalent on the North of the Island (past Indian head). We like to stay at Cathedral Beach as it is central and has good amenities. Enjoy your trip, I have to wait till October to revisit
Old 08-01-2010
AJOR Silver

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Default fraser

probably better staying put in one spot - the islands not that big that if you camped somewhere up the middle you couldn't get to/from places in the day - also if a few people down there could be hard to find good spots if you keep mooving
Old 09-01-2010
I LOVE MY JK WRANGLER

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts

Like Quacka said, there's going to be a few people there still so finding decent spots may be a little difficult. Central Station & Dunduberra have hot showers, fresh water & toilets and either would make a good central spot, although it's a bit of a drive from Central Station to the beach.

As far as fishing goes, there's plenty of gutters along the beach, but because the majority of people tend to stay on the southern end the fishing may be better further north.

Due to the recent rains the inland road conditions are a lot better than before Christmas, but as always on the Island, obey the rules, and always drive to the conditions.
Old 11-01-2010
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Guys,
Have been told Waddy point is the go for fishing. Haven't decided weather to camp at the beach front camping ground or the top camping ground. Have been told if the wind picks up the beach front camping ground can be a pain. Have also been told that getting around should be a bit easier becuase of the rain latley so the tracks are in fairly good shape. Can't wait. Only a week till I hit the road and meet up in bundy before we make our way to fraser, been busy getting the car and camping gear sorted.........

Mattd.
Old 14-01-2010
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Matt,

Myself and my wife go back last weekend from a week on Fraser.

Amazing place.(Just watch out for the pissed backpackers driving troopy's in 2wd wondering why they aren't going any where)

I can highly recommend staying at one place for the whole time you are there.

Beach camping looks pretty hard yakka unless you are fully set up. Most of the people camping on the beach had camper vans.

We stayed at Cathederal Beach, 300 mtrs behind the dunes. It's about 10mins past the Maheno ship wreck.

Brilliant facilities, shop, servo, bottlo(Mega pricey though), hot showers, laundry facilities, bbq's etc. I think it was only around $30 a night for an unpowered site.

20 mins to Indian head.
40 mins to Eurong.
15 mins to Eli Creek.
25 mins to Happy Valley.

Saw plenty of people fishing, not much catching going on though. Only saw one bloke catch a fish actually, 10kg yellowfin from the beach right near Dundaburra.
Pretty much every gutter had someone fishing in it aswell.

As far as the lakes go. We thought Lake Birrabeen was equally as nice as Lake Mckenzie, and no where near as many people go there.

Don't get caught walking from the beach to Lake Wabby(5km's), you can park much closer via an inland track and stroll down. Well worth a look.

Just make sure you keep an eye on the tides. Although you can still get up and down the island at high tide, low tide is much easier going(no big washouts and hard packed sand).

Most of the tracks are really hard packed. Some of the inland tracks are rutted from sand washing away from tree roots, still really pretty easy to get around the place though.

A good afternoons entertainment is to sit at Eli Creek, grab a beer and watch people attempting the water crossing, especially at high tide.(So many hero's in jacked up Patrols and Cruisers)

Also the March flies are the size of Cicadas so grab a bottle of OFF(the insect repellant) at the supermarket before you go. Forget Aeroguard or anything else. Everywhere on the island sells OFF at 10x the normal price because they know it's the only stuff that works.

If you can hit the Ferry on low tide for the drive up the beach and also time your run off the island at low tide your car will thank you. The inland road from Hook point up to near Eurong has some of the worst corrugations I have seen.

Have fun mate, we loved it.
Old 15-01-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My family and friends just got back, first time for us and what a place! We didn't fish as we were too busy exploring, we stayed at Happy Valley which is about half way, we went to Moon Point, Eli Creek, the wreck, Indian Head and Champagn pools, the inland trip to KingFisher Bay was the best track for your wheelin addiction. But make sure you have some tools as 3 out of 4 of our vehicles broke something..

Great place even though it rained, we loved it!

Have fun!
Post New Thread  Reply