Wobbles and pulsing brakes - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-11-2020
Senior Newbie

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default Wobbles and pulsing brakes

Ok had a couple of probs on a day trip to Hervey Bay today, after the car had done over 2 hours drive I got a couple wobbles on bumpy road. Was worse when using cruise control, because if I wasn't and slowed down quickly it went away without getting too bad. Driving not using c/c I could feel it start and just back off a touch and it would go away. This went on for about 1/2 hr then went away?
Also have been getting brake pulsing off and on, can be driving and will get pulsing for 5 or 6 braking events then normal for the next couple of times. It's not disc rotors as got new ones not that long ago.
Any ideas please

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
Old 29-11-2020
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

Sounds like you have some parts that need replacing, tie-rod ends, trackbar bushes, ball joints, and control arm bushes could be a problem. A loose steering box may also be an issue too.

Get underneath while someone is rocking the steering wheel back and forth and feel for play and look for movement in any of these parts.

Brake pulsing, I'd look at rotors first, even though they've been replaced they could still be warped. If you've got access to a dial indicator this is an easy thing to check. You could have an ABS related issue, have you checked for codes?
Old 03-12-2020
Senior Newbie

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I'll look into the first section, thanks, as far as the brake pulsing is concerned I had before so changed rotors to slotted and dimpled, still there.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 371 Times in 210 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Sounds like you need to check the rotors with a dial gauge. I fitted a new set of front DBA rotors last year & when I checked them with a dial gauge they had excessive runout. Turned out there wasn’t enough chamfer machined into the stud holes to allow for the stud shoulders so the rotor wouldn’t sit flat. Once I showed the DBA rep what the problem was he gave me a different set of rotors to fit which ran true on the dial gauge. The rep took the problem rotors & packaging with him so he could organise a recall.

Cheers
Old 03-12-2020
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 73 Times in 65 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Wow just goes to show you need to check everything and trust nothing until youve proved it.
Good detective work TR Laredo !
I think its worth the effort to give the hub where the disk contacts a good old clean up with the wire brush also.
Old 03-12-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

Slotted and dimpled rotors are not immune to warping, unless they are $10,000 Ferrari Carbon Ceramic ones ! Have you had a good look at the brake calipers? Make sure there is nothing stuck in any of them like a rock or bit of highway trash.
Old 03-12-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 371 Times in 210 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

You can also get warped rotors by over tightening the wheel nuts ie: tyre service place over tightening with a rattle gun. Whenever I go to a tyre place I always loosen off & re-tighten the wheel nuts with a torque wrench.

Cheers
Post New Thread  Reply