Experimenting with the Infinity Amp - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-12-2020
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Experimenting with the Infinity Amp

I hate the way the component amp sounds with my front door speakers so I decided to try and bridge the front door and front instrument panel speakers to try and send the full frequency range to my front door speakers.

To keep things neat I did this on the inside of the output connector of the amp (picture attached)

On my first try this mod was producing some random pops on the front right door speaker but otherwise worked! Even the stock speakers sound better with the full frequency range. Opened the amp up again and saw a couple of my wires were a bit close to one of the windings so I've adjusted the spacing and will try it again shortly.

Even if I get it all working perfectly I think I'll still replace this amp eventually, there's just better kit available now days
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201218_223956.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	79185  
Old 19-12-2020
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbech View Post
I hate the way the component amp sounds with my front door speakers so I decided to try and bridge the front door and front instrument panel speakers to try and send the full frequency range to my front door speakers.

To keep things neat I did this on the inside of the output connector of the amp (picture attached)

On my first try this mod was producing some random pops on the front right door speaker but otherwise worked! Even the stock speakers sound better with the full frequency range. Opened the amp up again and saw a couple of my wires were a bit close to one of the windings so I've adjusted the spacing and will try it again shortly.

Even if I get it all working perfectly I think I'll still replace this amp eventually, there's just better kit available now days
This sounds like an interristing mod ..my front speakers can do with a sound bump

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk
Old 19-12-2020

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

How did you bridge it? I was thinking of doing that with mine. Did you just wire both amp outputs to the front speakers?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Old 19-12-2020
I just registered

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qster View Post
How did you bridge it? I was thinking of doing that with mine. Did you just wire both amp outputs to the front speakers?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Yea just bridged the the outputs for the dash and door speakers, there's a picture attached to the original post showing roughly what I did.

http://wjjeeps.com/ has pinouts for the amp which made it pretty easy
Old 19-12-2020
I just registered

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I still get some popping at higher volumes with my newer Sony speakers, they just don't quite like something about what the amp is sending them post mod. Seems to be the lower frequencies that make them pop.

No issue with some older pioneer speakers I had laying around though.

Your mileage may vary depending on your speakers.

The amp also runs noticeably hotter post mod, not so hot that I'm worried about it. Though I did add new thermal paste when I had it apart so it might just be more efficiently dumping the heat into the housing now.
Old 19-12-2020
I just registered

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

These are the speakers I'm getting the popping noise from: https://www.sony.com.au/electronics/...ers/xs-gtf6939

If anyone has any ideas around how to stop them popping let me know. Without an oscilloscope I'm kinda out of ideas.
Old 19-12-2020
I just registered

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I think I'll try redo the mod with diodes so power from the tweeter pins will flow to the doors but not the other way around.
Post New Thread  Reply