Kj 2.8l intermittent loss of power - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-09-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Kj 2.8l intermittent loss of power

Hi all,HELP for a new old bloke , my son recently acquired a 2005 KJ cherokee extreme sports/liberty 2.8l crd turbo which has now developed a intermittent power problem? it will drive fine for about 15-20 mins then will lose acceleration drop down a gear rev to about 3000-3500 and slow down if you are on an incline, if I put it in neutral give it a rev then put back into drive off it goes again just like nothing had happened, I have spent the last two days looking at all the forums I could with no results, any ideas would be most appreciated. thanks Greg
Old 28-09-2016
Jedi Master

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Fuel filter. Replacement diy is easy.

Ah yes, welcome to the forum.
Old 29-09-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default KJ 2.8l intermittent loss of power

I had the same problem. Replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor and the problem appears to be sorted. Hope you find the problem quickly.
Old 29-09-2016
Senior Newbie

Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts

Welcome!! Any codes or check engine light? If not i would start with the NOOB guide on this forum and the lost jeep forum.

If you don't have reliable pre ownership data, start from scratch. Filters oil's etc.

If you dont have one yet, get yourself a scan tool. Either supercheap or Bluetooth version (search on here for all options).

Happy Jeepin!!
Old 29-09-2016
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks for the replys, OK CEL was on when he got was told throttle body sticking, so I cleaned it out (throttle body cleaner) wasn't to bad but was sticking,gave it a full service ,filters oils etc,put 3 scan tools on it with no joy all said no codes found but could not clear CEL, checked both turbo hoses all good, has been running great except for every now and then and for no reason will just loss power like the turbo was pulled out of it, stop turn it off and restart will run fine again for a week or so then do it again, two days ago it did it on the way to his work and again on the way home I then took it for a drive, it took awhile but finally did it for me, I pulled over put it in N (didnt turn if off)gave it a quick rev and drove off again with no problems, and now 2 days later it hasn't done it again???
Old 30-09-2016
Senior Newbie

Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts

So if I'm reading that post right the CEL is still on but you are not getting any codes. is this right?

If yes, I would disconnect the battery over night. In the morning re connect battery and turn ignition on. Run a scan a again. If nothing start the car and see if the cel goes off. If cel is still on then you will need to go to a workshop to scan it for you as there should be a code hence the check light. If they can't find a code then I'm stumped anf you may need to go to a jeep dealership to read and clear it.

I have read I think in lost forum that they did have some issues with the comm port and some got recalled but i don't know the year. With out a code it's going to be tricky.

Could be the boost solenoid and causing it to go in limp mode. Vanes getting stuck on the turbo? Try disconnecting the vacum line on the solenoid and get a flash light and see if vane actuator moves freely up and down.

Also make sure your PCM harness is plugged in well and the connection is clean.

Other than that try ludis advice cause that's the most of my knowledge.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 30-09-2016
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks undrgnd, yep cel is on I have scan it with my scanner a mates scanner and been to 2 workshops that I can trust all the same no code found and wont clear light.
so on the weekend going to try the 3 turn of the key trick and see if that works, I cant get it to the local dealership because they have decided to move and it will be 3-4 weeks before it reopens, I am reluctant to disconnect the battery for to long as we dont have the radio codes.

Last edited by royboy1953; 30-09-2016 at 11:42 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply