my cj7 project by outbackrenegade - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Early Model Jeep
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-07-2012
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation my cj7 project by outbackrenegade

hi there
my name is mike and i have just joined up as a first timer lol., so forgive me if im a bit slow to start. im a very happy owner of a 82 cj7 that i concider my pride and joy.
i have made up my mind to finaly convert the old manual steering box to a power steering.
my question is that is there any other power steering boxes that will fit on to the jeep ?? . it runs a 253 v8 in it and im about to upgrade to a injected 308 ,, . when i was getting the new engine i was told by some one that some holden power steering boxes will fit the cj7 with a little modifications... is this true ??? and if so would any one know what model holden would fit?? . if any one could point me in the right direction i would realy appreciate it,,..
thanks!!! and it feels good to be part of a jeep lovers group,,,.
Old 14-07-2012
NE Division

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I believe the TJ/XJ steering box is easier to fit but the Holden HQ-HZ will do too, you'll have to adapt the steering shafts by modifying the rag joint with the Holden part on the steering box and the Borgeson half on the intermediate shaft.

Cal

CJ3A
It's a ROCK, get over it!!
Old 14-07-2012

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Simplest conversion to power steer is a box from a full size Cherokee as they share the same input shaft as a CJ manual box, the rest all bolts up

Just make sure you add a steering box brace or you will crack the frame pretty quick
Old 14-07-2012
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

I've got a steering box, pump and hoses from a 1984 CJ7 that was fitted to a 4.2L for sale.

Don't know if the steering rod will fit but I'm sure someone here could answer that for you.
Old 14-07-2012
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi there
i would like to thank every ones input into this matter and i belive i got enough info to get me started.
i will however keep you all posted as i get closer to getting the bugger on the dirt roads were its most happy and i will put up some pic as soon as its all set up for the battle.
cheers
oh PS; i am interested in the 1984 cj power steering kit. could i get some info on how we can arrange to talk about it .
Old 14-07-2012
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-cj7 View Post
I've got a steering box, pump and hoses from a 1984 CJ7 that was fitted to a 4.2L for sale.

Don't know if the steering rod will fit but I'm sure someone here could answer that for you.

hi dan-cj7
thanks for your reply
i am interested in your steering box . i will do some reserch to see if it will fit my 82 model. can you plz tell me your asking price and how i can contact you.??
cheers and looking forword on hearing from you

mike
Old 14-07-2012
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default power steering box

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-cj7 View Post

hi dan-cj7
thanks for your reply
i am interested in your steering box . i will do some reserch to see if it will fit my 82 model. can you plz tell me your asking price and how i can contact you.??
cheers and looking forword on hearing from you

mike
Post New Thread  Reply