Roof Rack System recomendations - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-12-2021
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Roof Rack System recomendations

Ok,
I have been researching roof racks the last few days and as a result I am looking for recommendations and advice on different systems. I have somewhat unsurprisingly whittled it down too these 3, ORA, Uneek and Chief, Mainly because they have developed systems to increase the load bearing capacity and avoid roof damage in the process.
I would be hoping to leave this on full time so it would need to be quite, this is the big thing for me, these are expensive items so don't want to spend 1500+ to be annoyed by vibration and wind noise, and worse still the wife constantly nagging every time she gets in the bloody car

I already have a Tracklander Tray that I used to bolt onto the OEM rails on my previous WK2 for trips, but that created wind noise and caused some vibration in the roof, so as a result I would remove it as soon as I got back.
I am also looking at the Rhino Vortex Bars alongside My Tracklander tray as a cheaper alternative if none of the above successfully eliminate wind noise and vibration. Anyone any experience of doing this or similar?
https://www.rhinorack.com/en-au/prod...of-rack_ja2526
Old 28-12-2021
Full Flexer

Liked 654 Times in 373 Posts

No matter which option you pick, you're always going to get some wind noise.

I've got the Chief rails with a Rhino Rack platform attached. Chief solution comes with a wind dam that makes a big difference - wind noise is still noticeable if you listen for it, but not hard to live with.

From memory, I believe that both ORA and Uneek (basically the same design) also may require additional drilling/rivets to attach, whereas Chief is bolt-on, which was a big bonus in my mind. Not to say that there isn't any faffing around with their solution though...

Old 28-12-2021
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,120 Times in 595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post
Ok,
I have been researching roof racks the last few days and as a result I am looking for recommendations and advice on different systems. I have somewhat unsurprisingly whittled it down too these 3, ORA, Uneek and Chief, Mainly because they have developed systems to increase the load bearing capacity and avoid roof damage in the process.
I would be hoping to leave this on full time so it would need to be quite, this is the big thing for me, these are expensive items so don't want to spend 1500+ to be annoyed by vibration and wind noise, and worse still the wife constantly nagging every time she gets in the bloody car

I already have a Tracklander Tray that I used to bolt onto the OEM rails on my previous WK2 for trips, but that created wind noise and caused some vibration in the roof, so as a result I would remove it as soon as I got back.
I am also looking at the Rhino Vortex Bars alongside My Tracklander tray as a cheaper alternative if none of the above successfully eliminate wind noise and vibration. Anyone any experience of doing this or similar?
https://www.rhinorack.com/en-au/prod...of-rack_ja2526

I've got the full Chief rack fitted and it is great, no wind noise or vibration at all up to at least 120kmh that I can attest, and has a capacity of 150kg as opposed to the 68kg of the standard roof rails should I need it. I have an awning attached and carry the max trax...but heaps of room for more stuff as I require.
Old 28-12-2021
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCheese View Post
No matter which option you pick, you're always going to get some wind noise.

I've got the Chief rails with a Rhino Rack platform attached. Chief solution comes with a wind dam that makes a big difference - wind noise is still noticeable if you listen for it, but not hard to live with.

From memory, I believe that both ORA and Uneek (basically the same design) also may require additional drilling/rivets to attach, whereas Chief is bolt-on, which was a big bonus in my mind. Not to say that there isn't any faffing around with their solution though...
Did you have to get a couple of planks with the the Chief rails to get them to sit right or were you able to attach the rack straight to the rails?
Old 28-12-2021
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper6 View Post
I've got the full Chief rack fitted and it is great, no wind noise or vibration at all up to at least 120kmh that I can attest, and has a capacity of 150kg as opposed to the 68kg of the standard roof rails should I need it. I have an awning attached and carry the max trax...but heaps of room for more stuff as I require.
That sounds like the goods mate, what was it like to fit, pretty straight forward?
Old 28-12-2021
Established Member

Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I got Chief Safari Rack, I get wind noise and the roof was vibrating in a strong crosswind but it's not always noticeable. I've connected the wind damp but it doesn't help.

It was reasonalbly easy to put on once I cleaned out the threads in the roof rivnuts.

How much weight do you need to carry and work back from there. I was concerned that my 2 kayaks and stuff was too close to the limit although I did cart them around for about 12 months on normal roof bars.
Old 28-12-2021
Established Member

Liked 991 Times in 632 Posts

I've got the Chief rails with 4 planks, it's a nice looking and well made kit.
Minimal wind noise up over a dollar, for the wife noise, just crank up the stereo