Transgo Shift Kit and Sonnax Pressure Booster. - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-09-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

SNOWG,

Ive been wondering why the Amazon ATF4 supplies have been dwindling online. Must be a lot of them on their way to AUS. I would have done mine this weekend but apparently its fathers Day and the wife has warned me no tinkering with the car.

Same reason why I have gone with the Sonnex didn't want to hack the wiring shame sonnex don't have a shift kit as well for this tranny. I would say the initial 100-150k's the TCM is relearning the clutch volumes hence the harsh shift between 3rd and 2nd. Any decrease in fuel consumption ? Did you find once the Sonnex had been in a while and the TCM had re-learned the new volumes the tranny performance went back to before the instal?

Troutman,

I took out torque management about 12 months ago. When I did the mod, I put a switch in so that I could switch it back in if i wanted, (and also if you need to get driveline updates from jeep done it needs to be in). I love driving without it. No noise, thumping or harshness from the box whatsoever. You literally go from 0-100 in 7 secs with no redlining.
Old 01-09-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 436 Times in 264 Posts

Sounds good but how does what you did (take out torque management) differ from the Sonnax unit? Or is it the same thing you're talking about? Also I thought the idea of the Sonnax was that the TCM could not re-learn and go back to standard shift characteristics.
Old 01-09-2012
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I too have been contemplating the Sonnax/Transgo tranny '"tickle options" for the 545RFE.
Mek, could you post a write-up when when you throw in the Transgo kit ? I have seen a video on the kit install for a Dodge running same trans....doesn't look complicated working on the valve body, so, probably worth it when I do the next fluid/filter change in a few months.
The Sonnax appears to be a resistor encapsulated inside a M/F loom connector (just snap it in?) & the increased voltage increases tranny pump pressure up to 30psi increase ? My understanding is that the Transgo valve body kit also uses a resistor to do the same thing (but you have to solder it as a pin jumper in the existing loom connector ?). My guess is; use the Sonnax and forget about the resistor with the Transgo ?

I'll follow with great interest what you find out mate and how it runs low to mid throttle....I want to have a crack at this as well.
I would agree with comments implying the "soft" 45/545 needs to "harden-the-f**k up...Princess"
Old 01-09-2012
Established Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Torque Management manages the interface between PCM and TCM purely electrical. So when you pump up the gas PCM I believe adjusts engine timing to allow tranny to catch up on downshift etc. Taking that out seperates the two. The engine goes and the tranny does its own thing. Basically its just an old fashioned tranny. The Sonnex boosts line pressure by tricking the the TCM ref voltages (its basically a 2.2k resistor in circuit that modifies the 4.75v ref signal to the TCM from the tranny pressure transducer) giving higher line pressures to the clutch packs so they hold gear fractionally longer.

Finally the shift kit strengthens the accumulator pistons in the valve body so the transmission line pressure matches the more rigid hold of the gears, shifts quicker therefore reducing heat and wear on tranny.
Old 01-09-2012
Established Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Just on my point before Torque management and Line Pressure Boost are the two main components of the Superchip and Flashpac tuners. They both remove torque management and boost line pressure to give that performance feel. Difference is they cost upwards of $300 where as removing torque management is free and boosting line pressure can be done for as little as 10c.
Old 01-09-2012
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 158 Times in 79 Posts

You're right, I paid mine around $370 including delivery a while ago.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/Hemi4WD
Facebook: http://goo.gl/85r51x
Old 01-09-2012
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts

Nice one warod..!!

Hey try this - http://y2kota.us/transgo.html

Same box
Post New Thread  Reply