OzTent - Best Tent or Worst Tent? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > LOCATIONS | EVENTS | TRIPS > Camping suggestions
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2008
Banned

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have an A-frame tent with a pole in the middle. Cost about $245 all up. Canvas. It stands on its own with just the centre pole no dramas in a light winid. If I am staying more than a night or two I tie it down with pegs and ropes. 10 minutes tops to set up which includes banging tent pegs at base and the guy ropes. Folds flat in about 2 mins and can be packed on its side. $1100 for an Oztent? WTF??
Old 12-11-2008
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Simon R , Makes sense to face the door away from the wind, you would have to be unlucky to have swing around right into your door. have reports of the Oztent being the only one standing on many occasions after storms have gone through camp sites. Shorty B you are right once they were made in Aus but the labour content in Aus would put them out of the market and although we all like to think we support Aus products it always comes back to the dollar , why do you think that almost all the products in the camping market are made in china. Thanks JRJ33P there is a lot of people out there that have a similar opinion about the Oztent, I have talked to people that have their tent for 10 years + and still going strong. I have had mine for 4 years now and had it up in some pretty nasty weather and held srong every time.
Old 13-11-2008
pink bits r good

Location: i sometimes go to my own world, but it's ok they know me there
What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i'm with wallaby i have 2 center pole tents i peg the 4 corners and put the center pole up takes 1-2 minutes i dont use ropes it 1 of them came down on me at jambo but that wind bent the frame on the camper trailor next to us and the second stayed put go figure the 2 tents cost 600 all up

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
Old 14-11-2008
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts

Yeah, I've the RV3 with all the extra walls for the front area, and all I can say is it's "The POO".. I love it, up/down in minutes, plenty of room, high, stays dry, cool, and keeps all the sun out in the morning, been in strong winds and torrental rain, great.. I doo have extra pegs, and real big sand pegs as well.

Another trick is to park you car infront of the oncoming wind if it really gets up, deflects most of the wind, and also you can tie the tent to the car to help out. I can see that it would be hard to setup in the wind, but, I haven't had to yet. When travelling , I stick with my dome tent, and a screen dome, when staying put somewhere, its 5 star with the Oztent.

Ridid frame tents will always be more prone to damage thru storms than flexible dome types, thats why theres different tents, for different purposes. Each trades something off one atribute for its advantage in another area..

Tales.......of Interest!!!
Old 14-11-2008
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a centre pole tent too. All canvas. Takes bout 2 min to setup. I also got the centre pole remover. It is a triangle pole that goes in th centre of th roof, with 2 other poles which run down the inside of th tent. This gives complete open floor space. well worth th $30 to get more floor space. To make it easy, put th centre pole up first, then replace it with the triangle and side poles pulled out to length. All up under $300. Mate has an Oztent worth $900+ and i set up faster than him cause he has to do ropes n pegs to complete his setup.
Old 14-11-2008
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any Body Want To Buy A Second Hand Oz Tent With The Extra Side Walls Used 3 Times 0427199075 Or Pm Me
Old 15-11-2008
AJOR Silver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Simon R if you're unhappy with the Oztent try a Black Wolf Turbo or Turbo Lite.
very fast to put up and very stable. the only downside is they take up a lot of cargo space.
245/75 Maxxis Bighorns
Post New Thread  Reply